Train Simulator 2019 Brakes Better??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpmackay, Oct 10, 2018.

1. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I am wondering like others that will the braking system work more efficiently with the update program of Train Simulator 2019 which will be available tomorrow. Right now as I see myself with the brakes in Train Simulator 2018 when I applied the brakes in the locomotive console. Hit once on the keyboard with [ ' ] get 13% then go up one more time or more but noticed that the next one is 24% then 30% then 37% then 44% then 50%, etc I would love to see this working when hit the brake start with 1% then going up not jump into 13% at first applied of brakes. Are the team of Train Simulator at DoveTail Games are aware of this.

John

2. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

The brakes are dependant on the model of train you're driving, and how the developer has represented this in the simulator.

Many British trains have a three step brake (step 1, step 2, full service brake) and an emergency braking mode. The physical brake controller thus has 4 notches, and a driver can't apply "step 1.5".

Depending on the developer, you could see 33% (step 1), 67% (step 2), 100% (full service) and Emergency. If a train has more brake notches, the steps will be smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

AlexNL -- thank you for your reply and I had no idea how the British trains works till you mentioned in your reply. I am more focus with North America diesels. And the developers are mostly from DoveTail Games but some are from outside DoveTail Games and are from United States. I live in Canada.

John

4. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

I'm not really familiar with North American trains (I prefer British or German routes), but the principles should be the same. Brakes have steps and it's up to the developer to properly implement this.

In some trains you will see the HUD indicate the selected brake notch instead of showing a percentage. :)

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I have learned with braking that it's better to look at the pressure gauges rather than the % on the HUD. Almost all of the older or more intricate models don't "read right", for instance I was playing a class 86 express electric last night. 13% brake doesn't move the needles. 25% doesn't either. Only when you get to 28% does it actually give any brake pressure.
    It's one of the quirks of the game
    Don't get me started on the 166 EMU. Single handle 100% to -100%. idle is -30 (so you only have two steps of braking) and power goes all the way to 100... maddening

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

They did not do anything on improvinig braking behaviour. So, no. As said before, braking behaviour is model dependent.