The Downfall Of Trainsim World For Me. I'm Certainly Not Intrested In A 3rd Attempt To Get It Right.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Gabe_1.0, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

From my understanding, from TSW3 forward locos WILL be decoupled from routes to avoid the various versions of the same loco, and to eliminate the need for a loco to have a "home route", or, more likely, the Training Center will be be the "home route" for all future content. I don't think they've made any promises about backporting this feature to TSW2 content that's playable in TSW3.

To your downside- based on the issues with PS5, it seems like it's the cumulative DLC size that's the problem, rather than the core game size. There are plenty of titles on PS5/XSX that are 80GB+, but i doubt any other game has the DLC footprint of TSW2.

Edit: clarifications

2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

If they used it as they claim, we wouldn't have the issue of having separate features having to be manually implemented to each individual route. You would have one code and that code would apply to every route rather than having to manually implement it individually.

• Like Like x 2
  3. What a headache for dtg. Why do they do this?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

DTG do use object-oriented design. The very idea of having route DLCs compartmentalised into a neat object to be interfaced by the base game is completely aligned with OOD principles. That is not even to mention that C++ (what the game is made of) is an object-oriented programming language. It may not be the specific design you want, but they do use OOD.

The primary alternative to object-oriented is functional programming, which really doesn't work for making games to begin with.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Mhm yeh to an extent basically otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it. Copy/pasting code ain't it either

• Like Like x 3
  6. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Many would say that object-oriented programming doesn't work for games as well...
    And in any case they could have object-oriented programming without tying locos to routes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

The point is that OOP is a red herring, made centre of discussion by a man who knows little about it. DTG's incompetence (or more forgivingly, ignorance) and mistakes are the result of their particular high-level design philosophies, not the chosen programming paradigm.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  8. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

After weeks of though I have concluded that I am not buying TSW3.
    I have enjoyed TSW since March 2020, most especially the NTP Route. Then came TSW2 and I though, why not. but only a very few months ago Was I able to experience NTP and TVL upgraded for TSW2. Buying tsw2 left me with a sour taste... the taste of paying for routes that i definetly do not ever want to play. They maybe great for many people but not to me. If I buy tsw3 I will have more routes that i would never play then those that I play, so, it's the end of the line for me for now. I will get back to TS:classic for sure... or better yet, restart my old Open Rails projects for developing routes and rolling stock.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much on the same boat to say, sadly, that I will not be getting TSW3 moving forward.
    Cajon Pass was the only route to persuade me to get it if it was good enough (Training Center was meh to me), but after the stream yesterday it failed me to find a good reason to get it now (the route looked good, but the trains themself did not). It's been 5 years since I started this journey on PC, then on Xbox a year later, and a lot has changed since then. Even I enjoyed TSW2 a lot more than the predecessor. Even with the routes like SPG, SMH, CRR, OSD (yes a bold choice this one), TVL, NTP with Heavy Freight, WSR, & SoS (admittedly, the best UK route so far). But all things must come to an end eventually.

I may return if something unique will be made on the US or UK side that piques my interest, *cough*US Loco DLC*cough*. But as of right now, this is where I depart. And move on to do something else.

• Like Like x 4