Will Tsw3 Overwrite Tsw2? What Happens To Tsw2 Content?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Peter Smith, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Member

When TSW3 is released on Steam, will it overwrite existing installations of TSW2, or will it install alongside TSW2? In the latter case, should one uninstall TSW2 after installing TSW3? If one uninstalls TSW2, what will happen to the associated purchased content? Must it be re-downloaded?

2. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

It won't affect TSW2 at all, it will be a new game. Any of the routes you own in TSW2 will have to be redownloaded within TSW3.

3. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

Will TSW 2 DLC still be available to purchase? Or will those DLC come under the umbrella of TSW 3. I've seen different responses and I'm a bit confused! (I'd like to complete my TSW 2 collection before touching TSW 3)

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Alongside, it's a separate game as far as the computer or console is concerned

Up to you. If you won't ever play TSW2 because you have TSW3 then uninstall it, but I would only do this once you're sure you've got everything you need from TSW2, so make sure progress, liveries etc are all in TSW3 BEFORE removing TSW2

Because TSW3 is a different game you will have to download all content for TSW3 anyway, including TSW3 versions of DLC you have in TSW2 (ie yes you have to redownload it all again, simply BECAUSE it's a different game)

• Like Like x 1
  5. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that because TSW2020 and TSW2 still can't be on a system together because if you have the same route on both one will over write the other.Funny thing is DTG said they fixed this,yea sure they did NOT!

6. ARuscoe

DTG have confirmed they want to remove ALL previous versions of TSW from sale when TSW3 comes out
    But also they are making all DLC licenses "TSW Compatible", so any DLC you buy will work on any TSW version compatible with it (so GWE you will get a license on all versions, SEHS you will get licenses for TSW2 and TSW3 in the relevant version of the route, the new US and DE routes only work in TSW3 anyway)

With regards to "completing collections". You can keep both TSW2 and TSW3 installed and one won't interfere with the other as they're separate software titles

• Like Like x 1
  7. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Member

ARuscoe: Many thanks!

8. ARuscoe

I hadn't heard that... presumably they didn't change the directory path. Not a surprise to be honest

9. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Member

So, it seems from this image (see below, copied from TSW2 Steam News 01 Sep 2022), that one must import ones profiles from TSW2 after installing TSW3 before uninstalling TSW2 and then downloading all of your TSW2 content again?

upload_2022-9-1_15-50-53.png

10. ARuscoe

This bit will happen when you get TSW3 anyway
    The remainder is as posted

11. orb

orb Well-Known Member

Not sure how it is on Peter Smith's installation, but they are being installed in separate directories, as also saves are in separate locations, so they can coexist just fine:
    Installation directory names - "Train Sim World", "Train Sim World 2"
    Save game directory names: "TS2Prototype", "TrainSimWorld2"

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Member

So, at the risk of being too pedantic ,presumably we can expect to see:
    Installation directory names - "Train Sim World", "Train Sim World 2", "Train Sim World 3"
    Save game directory names: "TS2Prototype", "TrainSimWorld2", "TrainSimWorld3"

13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It was an issue a couple of years ago only on xbox I believe.

• Like Like x 1