International English

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paintbrushguy, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Oh yes. " sat " instead of " sitting " drives me to drink. ( where's that carafe? ).
    But you're right, time to sign off this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on the now lazy use of the word dropped.

Released, issued, announced, launched etc are all fine words to use. For me dropped means to drop something on the floor, to drop someone from a lineup, if I was a glassmaker and I just dropped my new vase I would be very unhappy.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

IIRC, someone here managed to do that three times in a single sentence not long ago. I felt like applauding even as I winced.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

I'll see your misuse of the word "dropped" and raise you "trainings" and "learnings"! (Ha, my spell-check underlined "learnings"...I should show that to some of the corporate hacks at work...)

5. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

GrandMoffLucaPaguro Active Member

As someone who works in the food industry, I would like to throw in all those products that are named with some variation like "Vegan Chicken Nuggets" or "Fishless Fishcakes".

• Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Not so. While it is true that all the western Low German dialects were related, and probably mutually intelligible, Old Saxon, Anglian, Jutish, Frisian, and Frankish were decidedly different; and there is no evidence for positing a 'stopover' in Frisia (except, perhaps, for the Jutes depending on how one interprets the Finnsburgh Fragment and lines 1008-1250 of Beowulf).

In fact there is an amusing story told by Caxton as late as the 15th century, telling of Northerners visiting the South and not being able to make themselves understood.

7. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

The real tragedy is England being named exclusively after the Anglos and not the Saxons. Just think, we could have had Sexland!

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  8. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Coming from Angle descent myself again going by what I have read it was generally accepted that the Angles from what is now Southern Denmark/Northern Germany travelled to Frisia as did the Saxons and other tribes and some even settled there hence why there is a strong connection with Old English today although I'm aware of it in decline. The invasion would make sense coming from there as well as I think Kent I think was hit first, could be wrong on that one, the South Coast of England by the Saxons and Eastern England going into Southern England by the Angles and there is evidence that they all traded with one another, trading is hard if you are not understood no?

That would be Angles but giving what happened after Aethelflaed died it is the Angles who were treated wrongly by the Saxons.

9. solicitr

Really it was the Danes' fault: they conquered pretty much everyone except the West Saxons (who just barely escaped), so there was really nothing left of the old Anglian kingdoms.

----------------------------
    Well, if you accept the legend/ASC, then Icel led his people from Angeln to what became East Anglia himself; one lifetime isn't enough for a language to change. Now, it is plausible that the migration routes for all of them went by way of Frisia (where the locals definitely spoke a related tongue, close enough for basic intercourse) and what is now the Pas de Calais (Frankish territory at the time, another related language), because their rowboats (no sails yet!) could only cross at the Dover Strait. I would venture that in the fifth century the various forms of western Low German were as close as the Scandinavian languages are today.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Calidore266

I would just like to give props here to solicitr and dhekelian for making a complaining thread very interesting, while remaining on topic to boot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’ve seen people writing it as “av”

12. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I always have an inner laugh when I’m behind someone in Subway or somewhere and they say “Can I get…?” I always want to say “No, don’t worry, they’ll get it for you” :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. dhekelian

Except for the furthest west part of Mercia, there wasn't much left for Angles until of course Aethelflaed & Hubby took most it all back again. It's a shame history does not tell the story of her she was fascinating and inspiring imho.

• Like Like x 1
  14. solicitr

Of course, the Lady of the Mercians was a West Saxon herself.....

• Like Like x 1
  15. dhekelian

Ah yes, King Alfred's daughter no less. But then she was adopted by the Mercians as an Angle (Mercia did have some Saxons but still largely Angle) especially when she lost her hubby and would of become Queen (Vikings were scared of her) if she hadn't died from illness and what the Saxons did to her daughter was criminal imo.

16. Calidore266

Huh, I avn't.

• Like Like x 2
  17. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Some of the 'mutual misunderstanding' is cultural rather than linguistic. A local resentment (outsiders here again!) can have much to do with it. As a Welsh speaker who lived a long time in England, my accent speaking English has led locals in Wales (more commonly in North Wales) to assume I am a 'Saeson" and switch to Welsh, in the belief that I would not understand. Understandable, if mildly irritating.

18. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Glad this thread is alive and well.

My thruppence worth:-
    When soldiers from the Lakedistrict were stationed in Iceland during the war, they found their dialect had words in common with Icelandic.

Still a blasted Training Centre.

• Like Like x 2
  19. KTL_Rob Powell

KTL_Rob Powell Well-Known Member

To reddy rite it iz Pard :P

On a more serious note aimed at the detractors, .. does it really matter, really?

20. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

I know a couple of tall ones

• Like Like x 2