Dynamic Brake Apears To Be Not Working On Bnsf Es44c4

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by The SimTrain Tube, Sep 2, 2022.

1. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

Did one of the services , when I noticed the dynamic brake did nothing.
    Can anyone confirm?
    [​IMG]
    I can't do videos right now, I was at full dynamicbrake at this point, there was no engine sound, and it was not braking at all.

* Is there any setup procedure you need to do to get it to work?

2. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

It's cause of your loco's brake pressure, it cuts out if loco brake is applied, dump the air of your direct brake and dynamics should work

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Basically when you apply automatic brakes, dynamic brakes will stop working since the automatic brakes are much stronger. So to keep dynamics running, you have to bail off independent every time you apply/increase automatic brakes. Also you shouldn't be going fast. Around 30mph max so you don't have a runaway train

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll put it good use.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Whitsim

Whitsim Member

Works ok for me. Like was stated above, make sure you have no Brake Cylinder “BC” pressure by bailing off, otherwise Dynamic will automatically cut out. On a related note, good tip is once you start descending from the Summit to San Bernardino, after you set your automatic brake like 10-15lbs reduction, leave it on almost the whole descent and use your dynamics to regulate speed. Safe travels!

6. Mousephart

Mousephart New Member

But is this correct for this loco or bad programming? I though most locos would let you use dynamic and auto brakes at the same time (SD40-2),

7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

And it is this way but BC has to be at zero PSI. Fuly prototypical. Some trains has auto-bail features.

8. Whitsim

Whitsim Member

100% Correct Function.
    You can dynamic brake with automatic brakes applied on the train. You cannot with any air brakes applied on the loco.
    When you apply auto brakes, locos apply their air brakes by default. You must “bail off” engine brake to release all locomotive(s) brake cylinder pressure that develops during an automatic brake application.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. stevegad

stevegad Member

Just done this one and the dynamic brakes may as well not be there. They turn off and when you trigger them back with 'Bail Off' they just take forever, then do nothing. Utter crap. I'm sure of the real drivers had this setup, they'd need diapers.

10. stevegad

stevegad Member

So, not much to have to remember then, for drivers on a 3.1% downhill grade?

11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's not really that hard. Add train (auto) brake as necessary as a baseline, but bail off the independent brake. Use dynamics to fine-tune speed. If full dynamic's won't hold you, you need more auto.

Trust me, it works. But remember that the independent brake cancels the dynamics, so you have to bail it off with each air application.

• Like Like x 2