Dynamic Weather And New Lighting System

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by rvmota, Sep 3, 2022.

1. rvmota

rvmota New Member

Hello all!

I have a question related with the new tsw3 lighting system and dynamic weather...This new features also works on previous routes (like SPG, HSC,etc) or are exclusive of the 3 new routes of tsw3?
    Thanks!

Rick

2. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Dynamic weather and new lightning is available for all routes, including those inherited from TSW2.

3. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

Lightning will be available on all routes; new lighting will only be available on TSW3 routes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. arek#2842

Yep, you're right, both about spelling and the content ;)
    TWS2 gets only dynamic weather, new lighting system is reserved for new TSW3 core routes only.

5. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

and for me that is a big issue, the new lighting looks like a huge step forward and immediately dates even RH routes

• Like Like x 2
  6. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Sadly new lighting not avaibale for TSW2 routes, even the good ones.
    I hope they change their mind and intigrate it. Lighting in TSW2 was awful

• Like Like x 3
  7. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

For those on lower end systems like mine, I noticed at least a 20 fps gain when going from ultra to very high in the weather setting, with not much visual difference. Running i7 7700k with an nvid 1080 card and DX12. Not tried with DX11, may give different results.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. arek#2842

Exactly, and I'm quite interested what will DTG do about it? If not for all routes maybe they will at least implement it for the most popular ones.

• Like Like x 4
  9. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It takes too much time. The devs have said it'll take 3 years to update all the routes with the new lighting. It's not an easy update. All the assets and lighting values have to be changed and updated

10. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

The could just still to all routes Rush Hour and after

But the new lighting needs to come to some TSW2 routes because the TSW2 lighting is a broken mess and should never have been done that way in the first place

• Like Like x 1
  11. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

We can always dream of it. "Old" stuff will receive no more updates. Preservation crew will move on.

12. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Of course, we all know that. But the same will happen to TSW3 DLCs Sooner or later

13. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Member

Tbh this is all I'm advocating for. I understand that the work needed to update everything is prohibitive, but it just seems a shame that routes released only a year ago, or less, are already outdated, and destined not to be brought up to current standards.

• Like Like x 5
  14. nhilsubsolenovum

nhilsubsolenovum Active Member

Yep London Commuter would be great upgraded. It's a shame if they don't do it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. arek#2842

I think exactly the same. Rush Hour routes seemed to me always as a step forward in the evolution of TSW. DTG has put a lot of work in to develop it and it would really be a shame if all their hard work would now be forgotten.

• Like Like x 4
  16. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Lets start a petition for lighting upgrades for Rush Hour routes and post Rush Hour routes.

• Like Like x 4
  17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

100% agree and the one that absolutely needs it is HRR where even at midday unless it is sunny in high summer, looks like the middle of the night. The Dresden to Chemnitz route would also benefit.

• Like Like x 3
  18. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Member

Indeed. Imagine if Thameslink were layered on to London Commuter and SEHS in the future. It would be a shame if those routes are not both fully up-to-date.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Would be nice if a team could be dedicated just to focus on lighting for previously released routes. Surely QA testing would be minimal as I don't see how adjusting the lighting could cause any severe bugs with those routes. So in theory, other than the time it would take to change all the lighting values, which I think is important to remember will take a very long time for each route, I don't see such updates taking forever, per sè. But I feel if a whole team was dedicated to the job, it shouldn't take too long.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Adjusting the lighting can have catastrophic effects on the route's appearance. What makes you think it would be trivial?

Cheers

21. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

That's down to the setting up of it in the first place. QA's job (I assume) would be just to make sure the route runs fine and there aren't any game breaking bugs. The whole point of the theoretical lighting team would be to make sure that their efforts don't result in the route looking catastrophic, but more towards what we have in TSW 3.