Display Mode 4k Or Hd- Is The Only Difference Resolution?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Easy301, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Hi team,

The PlayStation 5 version has two display mode settings 4k and HD. I'm assuming these change the internal resolution the game renders at between 4k and 1080p.

Is the only difference between these two modes resolution or does TSW take advance of the lower internal resolution of the HD settings to bump up any settings?

Does this settings only change resolution and is the resolution of the HD setting indeed 1080p?

I've searched through the forum and FAQ but there's no information on the technical differences or resolution values for this option.

Edit: after having done some further testing from what I can tell this setting does indeed only affect the internal resolution of the simulator, there doesn't seem to be any other changes such as Shadow jaw distance, foliage or text your detail between the two. It's purely just a resolution change from what I can tell. It would be wonderful in the future to maybe see a third mode that bumps graphically fidelity even further at the HD setting to take advantage of the increased performance overhead.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WipEout_F7200#3763

WipEout_F7200#3763 Member

I would assume switching to hd changes to the hd settings your console/TV is set to. But in most cases this would be 1080p

Unrelated but for my dad on the PS4 pro, using a standard HDTV, with the console using super sampling mode, switching to HD improved his frame rate with TSW3. It was something I felt I had to change for him because I had been playing all day on my 4k hdr TV meaning the Quality difference was noticeable

3. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Yep this is perfectly normal. Even though you're dad is of a regular HD display running the game in 4k mode will cause the image to be less blurry due to the anti-aliasing solution TSW is using.

If he has just a 1080p TV the 4k mode will still give superior image quality BUT as you found out changing it to 1080p will change the internal rendering resolution of the game down to 1080p, increasing the performance overhead and giving better FPS at the cost of a bit of blurriness compared to the 4k mode even on a 1080p display.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Someone posted a message asking which mode would be better for someone on a 1080p display, the message seems to have been removed but I still wrote a further explanation to this so I'll go ahead and post it still:

Due to some of the post-processing and anti-aliasing solutions used you'll notice a sharper image when the game is set to 4k even on a 1080p display.

BUT...not everyone is as sensitive to the difference and it's not absurdly drastic change, if you'd rather have a bit more stable performance at the cost of sharpness especially on distant objects then 1080p is the way to go.

The changes take effect immediately so the best thing to do is this: get into the cab or external view with a good view of the track ahead, go into the options menu and change the setting back and forth from 4k to 1080p and you'll see the changes take effect as soon as you hit the start button to apply the changes. (You may have to adjust the camera a little bit so the options menu isn't blocking your view.) Change the option back and forth a few times and if the difference isn't very noticeable to you and you can deal with the slight decrease in internal resolution leading to a slightly more blurry picture even on a 1080p display, (again, this is most notice on distant objects such as far away track, signals, trees, AI trains head-on in the distance, etc) then you'll probably be better off using the HD setting as this will provide a more consistent performing simulator.

Edit: after having done some further testing from what I can tell this setting does indeed only affect the internal resolution of the simulator, there doesn't seem to be any other changes such as Shadow jaw distance, foliage or text your detail between the two. It's purely just a resolution change from what I can tell. It would be wonderful in the future to maybe see a third mode that bumps graphically fidelity even further at the HD setting to take advantage of the increased performance overhead.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

HD gives you faster frame rates at a price of blurry cab textures. 4K gives you clear cab textures at a price of slower performance. Wonder when a 1440p resolution be implemented…

6. darylb88

darylb88 Member

SD Target 60fps and 4K Target uncapped but sits around 30fps on next gen Cosoles.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022