Es44c4 Power Unit Start

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Volvo B10M, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

I have tried using the ES44C4 but every attempt it will not start up. I have tried combinations on the panel as per EMD SD40 but this will not work and no combination of positions will it start on. There is no equipment manual that I can obtain on this and EMD are not easy to find information on considering I was told to stop asking questions about EMD equipment when I asked about the valves on 645s and 710s. All tutorials with this it is ready in only switched on and there is no startup shown, yet there is a requirement to start up on TC and on random shutdown events. How am I supposed to start this up?

2. adlian_cc203

adlian_cc203 Member

Yeah we need a tutorial for ES44C4 and SD40-2 cold start. I haven’t been able to start them in the Training Center

3. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

You might want to read this: Es44c4 Training Module & Long Train Brakes Tutorial - Engine Run Is Off By Default

TL;DR: When the tutorial tells you to set the Generator Field to ON do it, and then set the Engine Run switch to ON too (the tutorial does not say it).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  4. adlian_cc203

adlian_cc203 Member

I’m okay with that part where the diesel engine already running.

But I found a unit with the engine completely shutdown, but haven’t been able to start them using the method I used to start them on the Sand Patch Grade.

5. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Is it the one to the East that is between an ICE and some wagons with tubes in them?
    If it is, try sitting in the driver chair to make sure the game engine considers that loco as a full simulation vehicle, then:

1.- Set the Engine Run, Generator Field and Control Switches to ON on the panel to your left.
    2.- Insert the reverser handle (but don't move it to forward/reverse).
    3.- Get up from the chair and go to the panel behind the chair. Set the Fuel Pump/ECU switch to ON.
    4.- Open the transparent control cover.
    5.- Set Engine Control to Start.
    6.- Press and hold the Start button. You should immediately start hearing a noise as soon as you press the button, meaning that it is trying to start.
    7.- If for any reason the sound stops and the engine is still not running, press the stop button and then the press and hold the start button again.
    8.- Set Engine Control to Run and close the transparent control cover.

Hope I didn't forget anything.

6. adlian_cc203

adlian_cc203 Member

Thanks! I'll try it next time

7. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

After only managing to get the SD40 to work now that is just either stopping working with no amps showing up or constantly derailing all the time, last time I just entered the drivers seat and the loco just rolled over.

8. GoldenTicket420

GoldenTicket420 Well-Known Member

Hey guys I made a video specifically on the second training mission for a lot of people having a hard time. The tutorial does not tell you to turn on the engine to run which is why the locomotive does not start even after doing all the other steps. this video should help you just follow what I did I also teach you how to recover from emergency brake as well! Remember the longer your train the longer it may take for the brakes to release! I hope this helps

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  9. I found on the panel under the glass cover, if I set the engine to start nothing happens but if I set the engine to run then it will start.