Tsw 3 Night Lightning ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chacal#2181, Sep 3, 2022.

1. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Well,
    for now i'm not convinced to buy TSW3 despite some good points. However onr thing i have no clue and have difficulties to find feedback is lighting at night. Most of the time TSW2 was awful at night. I means cities were pitch black, windows well white lit and so on. Is TSW3 any better / same / worse ? Screenshots welcome !

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  2. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Judging by those screenshots, it doesn't look bad.

• Like Like x 2
  4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

20220903205407_1.jpg

2am on a clear night at Summit

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This has been true since the inception of TSW... They've programmed the day night cycle correctly, but the station lights all come on at the same time all year round

• Like Like x 2
  7. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

DTG JD
    Is this going to be fixed?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

Ahhh, this is such an immersion killer. I hope they can fix it.

• Like Like x 6
  9. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Oh for the love of God, not again. How flippin hard is this to get right?! 5 years now (and counting).

• Like Like x 9
  10. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

This needs to be fixed, just like they need to enable seasons in scenario planer...after 5 years

• Like Like x 1
  11. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

I can't say yes or no at this stage, but I've passed it on. Have to say, it's not something I've seen mentioned before (that may be my fault though).

12. chacal#2181

Wow, sorry but that something that was said on bug forum countless times about TSW2...

• Like Like x 6
  13. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

It was probably "on the list"

• Like Like x 2
  14. ARuscoe

Just doing a running check on London Commuter at Battersea Park looking at the lights at the Northern end of the platform.
    In Sept dusk is approx 18:15 and lights turn on at 18:45:30(ish)
    In Dec dusk is approx 16:20, lights don't turn on til 17:00 (and it's completely dark by then)
    February dusk is about 17:00, lights don't turn on til 17:12:30

So they seem to be arbitrary numbers.

Don't have TSW3 (yet) but I would imagine when you have a rain storm coming in the darkness would also be affected so would be even more of an "issue"

• Like Like x 1
  15. ARuscoe

I've not even seen it mentioned as a thing (by DTG)

16. Lokomotiv

Lokomotiv Active Member

My pet peeve, besides the EBuLa situation, is that light sources do not cast shadows which creates an ugly and unrealistic lighting situation especially inside the cab during night time. Here I've just loaded in and the light post next to the loco is shining light straight through my loco:
    TSW3_1662210189_00.png

When moving about inside the cab it looks bad with the walls lit up like that and my initial thought was that some sort of ceiling light was on :D
    TSW3_1662209886_00.png

But no, the cab lighting came from the lamp outside, sad face:
    TSW3_1662210161_00.png

I'm not familiar with Unreal Engine but one would think it has an optimized way of dealing with shadow casting from multiple light sources? It would be really nice and immersive to have this working.

And semi-off topic: Is it possible to double the range on the beamed headlight for the BR 185? By this reference it looks like the beam light should at least illuminate the next pole in the image below. Remember that all freight runs between Kassel and Würzburg are at night ;)
    TSW3_1662211543_00.png
    There are also rendering bugs in the screenshot above taken during the third BR 185 timetable run. Straight ahead you can see striped blue polygons and to the left there are some yellow ones. They flicker and follow the camera.

• Like Like x 6
  17. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Light still shining through solid train cabs confirmed...ughhh, guys its 2022 !
    Might be another 5 years before this is fixed, maybe TSW6

• Like Like x 2
  18. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It's intentional to improve performance. Shadow-casting is expensive on compute. That doesn't mean it's impossible to make better but if you've been around long enough to remember the initial versions of GWE's Reading station and NEC/LIRR's New York Penn you'll remember just how much performance it can eat up. UE4 offers both stationary and dynamic light shadows, but both will kill FPS in excess.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lokomotiv

Lokomotiv Active Member

Let us (PC gamers) have the option to kill the FPS I say :)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Callum B.

It might be possible to set up shadow casting lights in such a way that a setting can disable the shadows for performance reasons (much like the sunlight in the game), but I don't develop with UE4 so I can't say for sure. My intuition is that stationary/dynamic lights with shadows disabled will probably look worse than regular static lights because they each have optimised setups and purposes, but again I'm no expert.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Shame there's nothing within an ini tweak where we can alter the times the lights come on

• Like Like x 1
  22. Like who would be bothered if station lights come on at 4pm and went off at 8am in the game?

23. DTG JD

Thanks for the detail. Spoken to Matt and it appears that they're based on a trigger time - we've put in a request to change this to be light-sensitive (needs scoping first-up, but it's on our list).

• Like Like x 10
  24. TKessel

TKessel Well-Known Member

I like to confirm this issue, had it yesterday evening too. I firsth thought it may have to do with some Engine.ini changes, so I loaded back the original one, still there so it is a bug.

25. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

Lights shouldn't be time based but environmental based, it can be dark when there is a lot of rain, storm, etc.. But at the very least it should be on at night.

• Like Like x 2
  26. ARuscoe

It's not a bug as such because it's working as DTG intended in the first place. Not working as it would in real life so "enhancement can be done"

In the UK in December it can be dark at 4 in the afternoon, and even earlier when it's raining so what JD says above is the "correct way of doing it", ie measure the light intensity at a certain point on each station to determine if the lights should be on or not. This is how it's done IRL as well

• Like Like x 1
  27. Cygnific

I used night as the time it is dark outside. Not as "only from 00:00 till 6:00"

28. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

Basing it on ambient light level is more realistic as station lights may automatically turn on dark rainy days as well.

• Like Like x 1
  29. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

So for which routes is this going to be fixed?
    All? (including TSW2 routes used in TSW3)?

• Like Like x 1
  30. Callum B.

You must have missed the part where he said the problem first needs scoping.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  31. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I’m sure I have mentioned it before in connection with HRR which is a dark route anyway but at 0800 on a winter run the stations are in pitch darkness because the lights go off at whatever the predetermined time is.

• Like Like x 1
  32. DTG JD

Can't say at this point I'm afraid.

33. JetWash

Moaning Minnie here again but so be it. It needs saying.

I’m not being funny but how can DTG claim this is the first they know about this with a straight face? Aside from the fact that it’s been mentioned on these forums a million times, you all play the game…did it not strike you as odd that stations are pitch black at night at certain times of year? This has been a problem since GWE was first released so what, 4 years now?

Recently a modder without access to proper editing tools was able to do what DTG can’t (or more likely can’t be bothered to) do, yet again.

https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/m...atches/i2670-longer-station-lighting-up-times

This is yet another of things that should have been picked up and fixed eons ago. Seriously, what are the QA people doing if they’re missing the screaming obvious things like this? How was this not picked up as part of ‘ground-up rebuild’ of the lighting?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 9
  34. A remember the mod. I also remember the modder saying its not perfect and doesn't work on everything.

If dtg said the same they wouldn't hear the last of it ;)

In the UK until recent times, station lights were always on 24/7 so if dtg changed the lights to always on this would be the perfect solution, for me anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  35. JetWash

…but Bescot is doing this without access to proper editing tools. I’m sure were he to have that access he could probably have this issue fixed in a couple of weeks.

I get what you’re saying, but it’s low hanging fruit like this being left unresolved for so long that really hacks people off and leads some to believe this game is ‘early access’. TSW3 is the 4th major ‘new edition’ of this game and something so obvious as this just gets missed time and time again. I cannot believe that TSW3 had released with this same problem…it’s absolutely pathetic. Maybe they should spend less time d***ing around hiding donkeys around the routes and a bit more time fixing pretty major things like this.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  36. chacal#2181

Lights always on would be a solution IF lighting TSW2 was properly executed. Actually in TSW2 you would have visible spotlights at noon.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Yea they should fix this and I think maybe they are considering it.

As for the editor, I think this is mainly for placing assets like light sources. The sources themselves I'd imagine are assets within the pack file and can be edited in notepad or something.

38. Good point.

39. JetWash

I believe he had to use the ‘unofficial editor’. Something is very wrong when, to get a partial fix to this obvious problem, people have had to create an editor from scratch then use that editor to make a fix. It’s ludicrous when you think about it!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  40. I'm glad we have the modding community. Where dtg say that's enough the modders come along and make it better. I'm happy with this, sometimes they put a lot more effort into the smaller things.

• Like Like x 4
  41. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

DTG just needs to provide the fantastic modders with the right tools and support. Sadly they don't do this.

• Like Like x 2
  42. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

is there a guide to installing mods? I have downloaded mod manager but i must not have it installed right cos the mods dont show up

43. You need to set your mods folder directory. Sometimes it takes a minute for it to show the mods aswel I've found.

44. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the correct directory is
    thought it might be this E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Train Sim World 2\WindowsNoEditor\TS2Prototype\Content\DLC
    but it could also be this
    \Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

45. TKessel

TKessel Well-Known Member

Uhm...you like to tell me the blue stripes in the screenshot above are intended? Sorry I' dont get it.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Callum B.

It's an artefact of screen space reflections. Specifically, it's a very grainy reflection of the multifunction displays. In real life that obviously wouldn't happen but it's a side effect of using a cheap (on performance!) reflection technique.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  47. Cygnific

Agree, it would make life a lot easier to mod the more difficult stuff. The unofficial editor is really great but it's more a "hack" with it's problems (Nothing to blame the guys who put a lot of time in it for, it's just the way it is) Personaly I wouldn't have bothered making it, but i'm sure it provided a lot of usefull info on UE4.

48. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

It's the first path. Put mods in this DLC folder. They need to be unzipped so they appear like this:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Train Sim World 2\WindowsNoEditor\TS2Prototype\Content\DLC\examplemod.pak

• Like Like x 1
  49. JetWash

Are you absolutely sure? That almost looks like a graphics card issue to me and surely cannot be an intentional reflection of the instruments in the windows? If it genuinely is then someone at DTG is literally tripping out if they think that that is acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Callum B.

Not absolutely, it could be a driver issue. But when driving the 185 I saw at least one MFD reflection that was in about that spot--albeit more subtle and less glitchy looking.

Cheers