Precipitation And (lack Of) Cloud Cover

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Redbus, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I have only just started a winter service and I noticed precipitation does not seem to be reliably linked to cloud cover. With a steady fall of rain/snow I would expect a thicker cloud cover, but the clouds were very patchy (mostly blue sky) yet down it came. I would have expected the new weather system (dynamic or not) to be more plausible - quite an immersion breaker.

In other news, the UI is good but the grey cursor theme means the current menu selection is hard to make out. Please use a more obvious colour!

Edit: also the snow thrown up by moving trains is very linear. There’s no variation at all in intensity and as a result it looks kind of fake. Great idea but needs a little tuning.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

100% agree about the grey cursor. It’s difficult to know where you are in the UI as it doesn’t stand out enough.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Not just that, it can be actively confusing. The general practice in UI design is to have the actively selected option highlighted in a brighter shade or colour, with the unselected ones a more neutral tone. I repeatedly selected the wrong options a few times in yes/no boxes before I realised the greyed out one is the one I currently have selected.

• Like Like x 7
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Greyed out for selected. Only DTG could do that. All selections are accompanied by an ‘oops, you can’t select that’ type of sound, too. It’s bewildering how DTG just haven’t got a clue with UI design. If DTG had made Family Fortunes the big yellow X and the ugh-ughrr sound would go off for a correct answer and incorrect answers would be accompanied by a bright ‘ding’ bell sound.

As for the original post, partially cloudy skies and rain have been a special feature of TSW right from the start. Journey mode services have always been rife with them. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve brought it up. When it rains there are clouds above you but not in TSW land.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I mean it (rain from partly-sunny skies) does happen, but has always seemed too frequent in TSW. Hopefully this is an easier fix in the new weather system.

1000% Agree on the UI gray-highlight- just terrible and unintuitive.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

You mean this? upload_2022-9-2_23-8-25.png
    While transitioning from heavy storm clouds to clear sky with isolated clouds its still raining. I don't think this is right. Also i did a 40 minutes service from St. Pancras to Ashton, starting with storm and dynamic weather and it just rained the entire service. Someone from DTG please take a look at this, i think that rain is still occurring even with isolated clouds.

7. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

It has indeed always been there, just thought that the fancy new weather system with the volumetric clouds might have afforded an improvement in the actual depiction and accuracy, but alas no. It seems the weather has only changed cosmetically and the slightest hint of cloud in the sky can bring on pouring rain. :(

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  8. MisterV

MisterV Member

I have also witnessed the miracle of rain falling from clear skies. I even managed to capture this (un)natural phenomenon on video.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

As to rain happening with partly cloudy sky’s, happens all the time in Southern states. Even yesterday, we had about 2 hours of light rain with the sun shining. We were on the edge of a pretty good thunderstorm that was moving slowly, but never moved over our location.

That being said, if happening all the time innTSW3, maybe an adjustment needs to be investigated. Definitely not an uncommon phenomenon though.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1