[tutorial] How To Finish "ice Breaker" Lzb Introduction

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by V0latyle, Sep 5, 2022.

1. V0latyle

V0latyle Member

This scenario is a little frustrating if you try to play realistically, especially if you have the speed limit and signal UI disabled. So, in the interest of realism, here is how I ran through the scenario without any problems.

1. Turn the LZB breaker OFF as instructed.
    2. Press both the LZB and PZB buttons (LZB Störsch. and Indusi Störsch.) behind the driver's seat next to the ETCS to turn PZB and LZB on. If the buttons are lit, this means they're off.
    3. Press the AFB Ein/Aus button to turn AFB on (directly above the red ETCS button), then press the V-Soll Freigabe button above it. This enables AFB control via the AFB lever.
    4. Insert the controller handle and set the reverser to Forward. Unlock the brake key. Set the AFB handle to maximum.
    5. Place headlights on Bright, turn the master light switch On.
    6. At this point, the game should have recognized the LZB breaker is off and skipped ahead to whatever controls you have not set up yet. When it does (probably just telling you to release the brakes) turn the LZB breaker ON. LZB should activate (you'll hear a buzzer, and a Ü indicator should turn on.
    7. You can now release the brakes and set the throttle to max. LZB will control your speed via AFB, so you won't have to worry about the speed limits.
    8. Watch the LZB distance counter; LZB will start slowing the train down at about 6km from the upcoming Stop signal. You shouldn't need to apply the brakes, but go ahead and move the throttle to Off.
    9. When the signal turns green, disable LZB, PZB, and AFB. Set throttle to max.
    10. You'll go through a few tunnels and over a few hills before you finally hit 300kph. Once you've achieved this, set the throttle to Off and bring the train to a stop.
    11. Re-enable PZB, LZB, and AFB. Remember, you will start in PZB Restricted Mode, so you will need to Release before 45kph to avoid a penalty brake application. LZB won't immediately enable, so AFB will limit your speed to 160kph. You'll have to drive a few kilometers until LZB finally picks up; you'll hear the buzzer, the Ü indicator will light up and the distance counter will appear. LZB will now control your speed, and the train will accelerate to the speed limit
    12. When you start slowing down for Burgsinn, set the throttle to Off, and be prepared to apply some mild braking if the red G starts flashing. Stop on the marker; this is where you would re-enable LZB, but since it's already enabled, you should be able to depart immediately. Again, you can set the throttle to Max and let LZB handle your speed.
    13. Pay close attention on the approach to Wúrzburg; you may need to use some mild braking, and be prepared to hit LZB Frei when the yellow Ende light starts flashing. From this point on, drive according to PZB rules and acknowledge all signals displaying anything other than Clear.
    Hope this helps!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  2. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

Very in-depth guide, thank you for sharing this!

3. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Which difficulties are players having with this scenario? Are the safety systems misbehaving and causing SPADs or something like that? I just turned all of the safety stuff off and completed the scenario without issues (although I admit that approaching the red signals behind the go via points and hoping for them to turn green was quite exhilarating ;)).

• Like Like x 2
  4. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

I had no issue with the scenario either. Other than the squeaky-bum time with the reds, the only other jeopardy was watching the speedo creep up towards 300 and then back down again as it hit an uphill. Still made it to 300 well before Fulda, though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

My only problem was getting to the very end and spad by a split second . Hubris with my breaking ability did me no favours :mad::D

6. V0latyle

V0latyle Member

Well, as I mentioned above, if you play without the speed limit and signal UI, you get no advance warning of the upcoming speed restrictions and signals until you reach Fulda. I just played through and blew right past the 220kph limit.

I did notice that the one red signal you reach at about 10 minutes in will turn green right before you reach it, even if you're going 250kph.

It's rather irrelevant in this context, but I'd like to point out that experimental speed runs like this are generally done under special circumstances. When SNCF set the TGV record in 2007, they prepared the track specifically for the test; while I have no doubt that the Kassel-Wurzburg route could easily support 400kph, I am highly skeptical of the idea of running a train beyond its design speed with no safety and signaling systems; for this run, the AFB/LZB would likely be specially configured to allow a higher top speed while retaining speed limit and signal protections.

• Like Like x 3
  7. HappyBasher

HappyBasher Active Member

Yep for the record the first time I failed to slow enough for the first station and the emergency brakes cut in, I couldn't clear this situation, I now know how to. The second time I ran it, went blasting through a red signal that didn't clear in time. Managed it a third time just following the instructions, not going too fast too soon and as soon as I hit 300 slowed down a lot and paid attention to the message saying to slow for the station!!

8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Ordinarily none of these problems would occur; LZB/AFB should brake the train in plenty of time. So what's wrong here?

9. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

IIRC, the command to reduce speed to 100 before Fulda is through a UI instruction, not through a signal. I don’t think this scenario makes sense without the full hud.

• Like Like x 1
  10. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I hit 335km/h before I chickened it and drop my speed, need to do this run again in order to complete the mastery so may go for 350km/h this time.

11. V0latyle

V0latyle Member

I topped out at 335 too. I'm not sure the the Class 401 quite has the intestinal fortitude to make it to 350! You could try decoupling from the trainset but I think that limits the unit to 140kph...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think 335 km/h is the maximum you can achieve on the scenario - it’s what I achieved and I don’t think I could have gotten any faster.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I reached 336 km/h, does that make me a cool person?

• Like Like x 4
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

You picked up a tail wind

15. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

This sounds like a gauntlet has been thrown down and I accept the challenge. Tonight Matthew I'll be going for atleast 340.

• Like Like x 2
  16. V0latyle

V0latyle Member

Such cool
    Very wow
    Maybe he farted...
    Probably won't be able to hit it before Fulda...maybe try between Fulda and Würzburg?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022