Tsw 3 - New Lighting And Dynamic Weather Is A Game Changer

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Sep 4, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

As it says on the tin, the real star of the show is TSW’s 3 brand new looking lighting effects, as well as its dynamic weather functionality.

I certainly did not expect it to look as good as it does, which it is constantly making me want to take several screenshots of how good it is whilst driving (tip: don’t do this with the safety systems enabled) ;)

The best feature has to be the dynamic weather feature, not knowing what the weather will do next. It makes the driving experience so much more immersive and interesting.

Night lighting looks really nice now, which for ages looked absolutely rubbish. Now it is properly dark but also simultaneously still being able to see things at night, as you would per reality.

There are still a few things which need sorting out, such as scenes looking quite washed out during the day, and the over sensitive eye adaption, which causes the exposure to fluctuate quite a bit, but all in all, the team have done a great job at it. :)

If you haven’t already, I would purchase TSW 3 solely for the reasons explained above. It’s a MASSIVE upgrade over TSW 2’s lighting.

Here are a few screenshots I have took:
    82B606AF-AF4B-4E1B-9E46-59D7D42DEE3A.jpg A0526957-550C-46F4-8DEA-ACB91E82FD21.jpg 2A515844-A358-4E2F-9CB8-72E52600EAF4.jpg

• Like Like x 34
  2. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

Yep, feels so much better. Even bigger shame though, that the improved lighting won't make its way to the older routes...

• Like Like x 12
  3. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Very nice shots but are those with any .ini tweaks or mods or is that the vanilla software?

4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

These are completely vanilla shots.

• Like Like x 4
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The game feels amazing now. Beautiful shots \o/

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Have to agree with the above - this really is a game changer. Kudos to the whole team for all the hard work. I too will sigh that the older routes won't be getting the same treatment, but understand why. Key question, though, is will I stop playing them because they look relatively dull in comparison? Time will tell.

• Like Like x 4
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I hope for some remasters!

8. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

for me TSW 3 is still the "dumb blonde" that TSW2 was (is), Yes she's nice to look at but for actual game play there isn't the same meat on the bones that you get with TSC
    • still no working labels on maps
    • tree branches in your cab on SEHS
    • Station lights not working at the correct time of day (try December at 16:00 its pitch black)
    • no working save game
    • A scenario editor which frankly is just a waste of time

• Like Like x 6
  9. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

They need to port the new lighting to the better post rush hour routes.

TSW2 lighting was broken and it should be fixed like other big bugs

• Like Like x 5
  10. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Agree they are game changers.
    Made me press the buy button.

11. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It would be nice to see TSW1/2 routes upgraded to TSW3 standards every so often....as the lighting is amazing, it really does transform the route. Personally I would really love to see Brighton Mainline, Boston-Providence & München - Augsburg upgraded in a US/UK/DE trio at some point.

I know there is a hell of alot of work required to do so (From what I gather it means redoing the entire route)...possibly put it into a community vote on which route/s to upgrade if/when the time comes the dev team decide to do some.

• Like Like x 4
  12. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

I'll echo this as well. During the last few weeks I was a bit sceptical how much difference new lighting and the clouds, weather, etc would make. Well... I've been addicted to TSW3 over the weekend and already clocked up over 25hrs in-game.

Sure, I do really wish there was something that could be done about the most recent routes (Rush Hour onwards), so I'll live with a bit of hope on that side. But I'm already eagerly looking forward to new routes coming in the future that will have all the new features as standard.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

The lightning almost makes it feel like a different game while driving. It's simply fantastic! :)

While I can understand the sheer amount of work to bring older releases to TSW3 standards would take a long time. I think DTG should at least consider upgrading the Rush Hour set.

Give BML a touch up in the areas that still need attention and some much needed optimisation, give Joe time to go back and add to the timetable the things he didn't get time to put in during original development. Potential expansion to London Bridge and a Class 700?

Extend DRA from Riesa to Leipzig and add an ICE T like the TS Classic extension; this would truly make it the "big of everything" German route as the section to Leipzig runs under LZB, the only thing DRA is missing to tick all the boxes.

I don't know much about the NEC but expand the running distance of Boston Sprinter and add the Acela that's been highly requested.

• Like Like x 7
  14. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Well, now we have lighting like it should always have been. TSW2 lighting was just absolutely broken to begin with, that's why we all as customers should request a lighting fix for TSW2 routes in TSW3, let's make a petition

• Like Like x 2
  15. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

It looks amazing, sadly for me as I prefer to complete journey mode before moving on to services then dynamic weather may as well not be in the game for another couple of weeks or so.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Well said, OP!!

I will join the chorus and request that some of the newer TSW2 routes get the new lighting treatment. I realize doing all of them is probably not realistic, but maybe Rush Hour and forward?

Although some older routes like Clinchfield and NTP would really benefit from it as well, especially at night.

Hope DTG will take it into consideration.

• Like Like x 6
  17. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

Is there still "tree-popping" without tweaking LOD distance in the .ini? Should I save my .ini settings that improve TSW2 and put them into TSW3?

18. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

No harm in saving them, doing a couple of runs in vanilla and then editing them if you feel its needed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. akstorlied#2840

akstorlied#2840 Member

All TSW2 routes besides minor updates are being left in the dust, it's too much work to update them.

20. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Slight bump as this seemed a suitable thread to mention it.

The refreshed game engine seems to be helping with legacy routes, particularly at night. Currently doing an all stations run on RRO. The built up areas seem brighter and stations in particular look much better illuminated. Train headlights, while not brilliant, do at least cast a short distance ahead. The two tube like tunnels as you approach the main line at Schwelm were lit and I don’t remember that from previous.

I need to continue visiting the older routes to see if this is the case across the collection but it is a plus versus the slight downer of the too bright new routes.

• Like Like x 2
  21. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I've noticed this too having played London Commuter recently - night lighting seems to be slightly better than what it was before, especially if dynamic weather is enabled.

22. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Have you had chance to run NTP at night? I've not had chance yet but as you are seeing improvements to legacy routes and NTP was pitch black at night on TSW2, just wondering if street lighting/building etc. are lit better on this particular route in TSW3

23. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Not yet, definitely give it a go at some point. NTP and TVL were definitely amongst the darker UK routes. Not an issue out in the country but the big towns and cities are very poorly illuminated.