Tsw3 Preservation Crew Addon Release Plan

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by simontreanor81, Sep 2, 2022.

1. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

Are DTG able to provide any details on this? How many routes per drop, when will the first one be (with full launch), which specific addons are prioritised?

I think it's important to focus on those addons that layer into TSW3 routes: the rest we can keep TSW2 for for the time being. AFAIK that's:

* DB 101
    * LGV Med
    * Great Western
    * Possibly other German addons on Kassel - Wurzburg
    * not sure about Cajon pass

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. johncoaltrain

johncoaltrain Member

I think it was mentioned on last night’s stream that Sherman Hill adds the AI UP layers to Cajon Pass.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

We will keep you updated on when the routes and locos will drop and in what order.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dave the cat

Dave the cat New Member

Hi
    Are there any plans to update the Diesel legends of the Great Western pack, as it could do with a makeover and polish?

• Like Like x 1
  5. WipEout_F7200#3763

WipEout_F7200#3763 Member

I'm probably wrong but I think tsw2 stuff is just getting dynamic weather while they focus on TSW3 content... They release road maps every so often, so it might be worth checking the latest ones for what they plan to do.

6. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

I read before purchasing TSW3 for my PS5 that all TSW2 add-ons would be compatible. I then went ahead and purchased Sherman Hill also for PS5. I do not have TSW2.

I haven't gotten a chance to use my PS5 yet but does this thread mean I won't be able to use the add-on I just purchased with TSW3 until sometime in the future?

Edit: to addon to this-I've done a bit of research and I'm still pretty confused. It seems like there's content called legacy content and then theirs preserved content updates and then regular content?

From my understanding the preservation updates are older routes being updated with current features is this correct?

What about routes like Sherman Hill or Horseshoe, will they have TSW3 features such as the new clouds and lighting?

Are the routes that are getting preservation updates like peninsula corridor have the new lighting?

If anyone would be kind enough to answer the above for me or give a bit of an explanation I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

None of the tsw2 content are getting the new lighting. I remember the devs saying to update all the routes to the new lighting will take 3 years of work since each route needs to have all the assets and stuff manually edited.

The preserved collection that are coming on release is to bring the tsw2020 routes up to spec to tsw2 standards which is being released on tsw3 as well. So peninsula corridor, Oakville, rro will be getting upgrades such as pis, new skies, crossing gates and various other upgrades

8. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

The preservation crew will not be working on TSW2 content once the long time scheduled improvements, as mentioned on various roadmaps, are released (except for bug fixes).
    Items which will show up as TSW compatible will be legacy content from TSW2 or TSW2020 (except NEC New York and the switcher).
    TSW compatible (legacy) content, will receive dynamic weather only. No other TSW3 features including the new lighting and volumetric skies will be implemented into older DLCs at this stage and may never be.

If you bought Sherman Hill for TSW2 but you don't actually own TSW2 then you can only use it in TSW3 once the game has released on Sept 6th. However, not all TSW compatible DLCs will be available at release due to a limitation Sony has placed on releasing lots of content at once. The TSW legacy DLCs will be released weekly in batches and DTG will be keeping us informed of which routes and content will release when.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

This helps tremendously. I did buy Sherman Hill knowing I couldn't play it in TSW2, I purchased it due to the fact that I read it'll be compatible with TSW3. After reading the post I'm guessing Sherman Hill isn't available for me in TSW3 yet until the release date and DLC release stage.

Does any work need to be done to get the Sherman Hill locomotives to automatically show up on the Cajon pass route like was shown in the stream? Or once Sherman Hill is able to be played in TSW3 will it incorporate into Cajon automatically?

Thanks for clarifying, it's a confusing release and backwards compatibility process when coming across the information for the first time. I haven't played since TSW1 as I didn't find there to be enough new features to justify an upgrade but going from TSW to TSW3 seems to be worth it this time.

Understood that there won't be any new skies or lighting for Sherman Hill, that's a bummer as that's one of the reasons I waited for TSW3 before purchasing it as the skybox that appears on the route in TSW2 isn't very good. Oh well, I'll still have lots of fun with it and it'll be great having some UP locos on Cajon.

Thanks again for the in-depth information.

10. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

No worries.
    FYI, once Sherman Hill is available and has downloaded the TSW3 version, you won't need to do anything else as the layers in Cajon Pass will automatically recognise that you have SMH installed and pull the appropriate locos and stock from there.

11. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...of course all former TSW2 rolling stock can be placed on the new TSW3 routes, either manually in the scenario editor, in timetable mode or automatically through the game. A special algorithm has been developed to adapt the original TSW2 lighting on earlier trains when used on newly illuminated TSW3 routes. So there's no problem by using a "Sherman Hill" locomotive on "Cajon Pass" or vice versa.
    It's also clear that former TSW2 routes will not be processed further after their latest preservation updates. But if there is enough time and demand from the community, maybe more classic routes could be gradually adapted to TSW3 standards, like it was done with SOS and SEHS. Hope this was helpful...

12. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

My apologies for the confusion - it was a surprise for us when we found out earlier this week. We'll aim to send through as detailed a schedule as we can for the roll-out, but we expect them to all be available within a month of release (ideally sooner). We're currently looking at 3 weekly batches (that may change though).

Some will be released on the 6th (we're prioritising content which has received updates in TSW3 and recent content), but it's likely Sherman will fall into the batch released on the 13th.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

The wait is a bit of a bummer as I most likely would have purchased a different route and bought Sherman at a later date but I absolutely understand, it sounds like it was completely out of DTGs hand and the team is as just as disappointed about the staggered release schedule.

Sorry this all happened to you and the team during this release window, thanks for being here helping all of us out with our questions and issues during this release process.

14. simontreanor81

Is this correct? My understanding was that all routes are permanent candidates for continuous improvements of the type we've already seen, it's just that there are no plans to add the lighting or weather effects. It may be that those improvements are only for the TSW3 versions of those routes (and that may be what you mean).

15. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

JD,

Just so I understand correctly, the huge updates to things like Peninsula Corridor and Oakville that are listed on the roadmap are those coming shortly after the launch of TSW3 or is the time-frame still unknown on when Peninsula Corridor will recieve the update?

I'd like to repurchase it for PS5 and TSW3 but want to make sure I'm reading the roadmap correctly and understanding.

Thank you.

16. DTG JD

Hey - so, I spent time going through the list of updates for Tuesday, and the Pen Corridor Pres Crew update should be released then (as well as Rhein-Ruhr Osten, Oakville, Bakerloo and Hamburg-Lubeck updated timetables, and some other bits and pieces (basically, everything on the Pres Crew list on the Roadmap) - on TSW3.

For the PS Pres Collection content, we're trying to prioritise these to come into the first batch of routes available, as we know you'll want to check them out!

• Like Like x 1
  17. DTG JD

18. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. KatiaBLR

KatiaBLR Well-Known Member

20. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Can I ask what the logic was in deciding what made the cut for each weeks release?

ie, Penn Corridor will drop tomorrow, but the MP36 won’t be available for another 2 weeks?

Then the BR 101 is releasing week 2, but HRR isn’t dropping until week 3, so it makes the 101 unusable anyway?

There are a few odd looking decisions on those lists…

• Like Like x 2
  21. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Utter mish mash.Not only do we have to wait for certain dependencies that layer in on the 3 new routes we have, but we wont be able to load all the routes in as the content manager hasn't been released.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  22. DTG JD

We only had a certain amount of 'tokens' we could use each week which relate to Add-ons when putting this together, and we've had to pull this together quite quickly. It's not ideal, appreciate that, but we've tried to group where possible based on content getting updates tomorrow (prioritised routes over locos) and more recent content released.

23. DTG JD

Good spot, missed that one. Tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  24. antony.henley

So Diesels Legends of the Great Western is out in week two, but we will have to wait till Week 3 to play it as thats when GWE route is "planned" to come out, but as stated before we wont have enough space because most of us will only have about 39 gig* to use as the current TSW3 build is 25.72 gig on the PS5.

You really couldnt make this up.

So Suppose now we need to know the status of the content manager.

Hentis

• Like Like x 3
  25. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

One thing I want to point out is that Diesel Legends is coming out on week 2 and GWE is coming week 3. You can't play Diesel Legends without GWE installed so wouldn't it make sense to bring GWE out first?

• Like Like x 2
  26. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

No it’s not ideal, but it is what it is for one reason or another.

The point is though that the ‘tokens’ are being wasted on content that we won’t be able to play anyway.

Maybe DLC for DLC should be pushed to Week 3?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  27. simontreanor81

Why not prioritise the addons with layers that enhance the TSW3 routes? It seems so obvious to me.I would have thought these would be of more importance than the ones that have "tiny" Pres Crew updates

• Like Like x 4
  28. KatiaBLR

KatiaBLR Well-Known Member

Nice one great to know, thanks again!

Katia

29. DTG JD

Different content has a different 'token' value - so, things which need to be doubly-compatible (i.e. TSW2 + TSW3) require double the amount of tokens than a TSW3 route - for TSW2020 bits, it's treble the 'cost'.

It's a complicated process (our poor Retail team have been through the absolute ringer with this), and given more time (as mentioned, we found out about this on Thursday, and have been trying to confirm since then) we'd have probably have put together a more intricate solution that made a little more sense in terms of dependencies. As it is, this was what we could put together with the notice we had.

• Like Like x 2
  30. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Just Sony doing Sony things. What an inane system they have.

31. antony.henley

DTG JD Can you explain the tokens please?

Hentis

32. IfICanDream

IfICanDream Active Member

Sony is just one terrible company. The fact that people have to fight to get PS5s so long after its release is crazy. They really don’t care about their customers at all. Thanks DTG for all you do.

33. IfICanDream

Can someone please explain how the content manager will help the add-on situation?

34. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

It’s in the first row it comes out tomorrow

35. DTG JD

I don't fully understand it myself, to be honest - the summary I put above is about as deep as I got.

36. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

So we won't have to install everything tomorrow just in sections?

• Like Like x 1
  37. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

At least they make better consoles than Microsoft

• Like Like x 1
  38. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

39. BigH

BigH Active Member

Up until now i didn´t know that Sony is responsible for the world wide chip shortage. Thanks for enlightening me ;)

• Like Like x 2
  40. IfICanDream

I don’t think Xbox is having a stock problem.

41. BigH

BigH Active Member

They do. At least for Series X they don´t expect it to get better before 2023. And Car companies, graphic cards manufactors and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  42. JesseBlue

JesseBlue Active Member

How does it work in regard to for example the BR 101?
    Can it be used at all in TSW3 routes before the TSW2 route comes out to where the loco belongs?
    Are locos now "detached" from their TSW2 routes?

Otherwise, releasing the loco without the route makes really no sense.

• Like Like x 1
  43. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

No, PC and Xbox will get everything within 24 hours of TSW3's release.

• Like Like x 1
  44. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I was looking for one a few months back and impossible to find. Now they seem available around me more often than PS5s. I think the PS5 is more in demand worldwide.

That said there’s nothing wrong with a PS5. The consoles themselves are both amazing and about equal. As a PS5 owner what I hate about Sony is these stupid policies they have which really seem completely illogical. Like the DLC limit. Like if I own a PS5 and want to fill the entire hard drive with TSW DLC who is Sony to try and control that? I paid for the stupid thing and it’s my hard drive. I’m pretty sure the only thing that causes the DLC limit is Sony not wanting the optics of “one game fills entire PS5 hard drive”.

45. darylb88

darylb88 Member

When you compare the back end operations, refund, cloud, retail, game uploads, servers, Microsoft are lightyears ahead of Sony. Years and years of under investment mean developers are left to deal with Sony's severe limitations on the backend. And those old fashioned policies don't help.

46. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

The locomotive add ons are not connected to a route now.

I do believe JD Forgot about the 1938 stock and the new journeys Expansion Add-Ons as they at not on the list

• Like Like x 2
  47. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

No, that was explicitly stated to only be the case for future loco addons.

48. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

I hope by some miracle the baby bullet ends up making it in tomorrow anyway.

Peninsula Corridor preservation crew update has been such a long time coming that it just feels incredibly bad to get the route and still be out the (what I would consider essential) locos for the route.

Obviously this situation isn't ideal for anyone and you can't make everyone happy with a list but man, is that a blow to excitement.

• Like Like x 1
  49. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

Blame Sony if it doesn't not DTG on this but there probably will be some people that will Blame DTG on not releasing all tsw2 routes/Loco Add-Ons on PlayStation

• Like Like x 1
  50. IfICanDream

Sorry, but I can order a series X from my local Target store and from Costco. I can’t do that with PS5. And I don’t think these are overpriced, like a lot of the ones through Walmart or Amazon.