Ice Breaker Scenario (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Redbus, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Just completed said scenario on SKW which is basically a high speed thrash, but I’m at a loss as to why at the beginning we turn off LZB at the fuse when LZB is not even activated with the button behind the driver seat. I understand the principle of turning it off to override the 250 km/h speed restriction of the ICE1, but turning it off at the fuse when it’s already deactivated seems pointless. Later in the scenario we have to make a stop to turn the fuse back on, but again totally pointless if the safety systems are off.

I have been of the opinion for a long time that an toggle should be made available in the gameplay settings to enable all safety systems ON by default for experienced players, as having to enable them every trip has to be wrong and is rather a chore. In a real situation surely they would be on by default? Mind you I would still turn Sifa off as I hate it with a vengeance lol.

• Like Like x 2
  2. HappyBasher

HappyBasher Active Member

I fully agree that there should be an "expert" option where all safetys are enabled. If you are using the pc or have a keyboard plugged into console, shift+enter, ctrl+enter at the start does all this for you to save going into fuse cabinet etc.

I have tried ice breaker twice now without success. The first time I was a bit cautious setting off, but managed to get to 300k in time. I then missed the message warning to slow down, and got a penalty activation that I just couldn't clear. At the time I googled it and it said press HLL to release but even that didn't work - however I'd tried allsorts before so might have made things worse!

I've tried again just now, faster off the mark, so had minor speeding at the limits before it opened out to 400k! However about 10 mins in, there was suddenly a red signal ahead. I thought it would clear as I got to it so kept going, but no, game over!!

Hopefully third time lucky .... Seeing your post I know it must be possible.

(Playing on PS5 for the record)

3. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Give it another shot Happy, I got through it by anticipating the heavy reductions in speed for the stations and the aforementioned pointless LZB fuse stop. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. V0latyle

V0latyle Member

I just completed this on PC. This is how I did so without busting any speed limits:
    1. Shut off LZB breaker as instructed.
    2. Press both the LZB and PZB buttons (LZB Störsch. and Indusi Störsch.) to turn PZB and LZB on. If the buttons are lit, this means they're off.
    3. Press the AFB Ein/Aus button to turn AFB on (Directly above the red ETCS button), then press the V-Soll Freigabe button above it.
    4. Insert the controller handle and set the reverser to Forward. Unlock the brake key. Set the AFB handle to maximum.
    5. Place headlights on Bright, turn the master light switch On.
    6. At this point, the game should have recognized the LZB breaker is off and skipped ahead to whatever controls you have not set up yet. When it does (probably just telling you to release the brakes) turn the LZB breaker ON. LZB should activate (you'll hear a buzzer, and a Ü indicator should turn on.
    7. You can now release the brakes and set the throttle to max. AFB and LZB will automatically limit your speed so you don't overspeed, and with AFB set to max, the train will accelerate when the speed limits increase
    8. Watch the LZB distance counter; LZB will start slowing the train down at about 6km from the upcoming Stop signal. You shouldn't need to apply the brakes, but go ahead and move the throttle to Off.
    9. When the signal turns green, disable LZB, PZB, and AFB. Set throttle to max.
    10. You'll go through a few tunnels and over a few hills before you finally hit 300kph. Once you've achieved this, set the throttle to Off and bring the train to a stop.
    11. Re-enable PZB, LZB, and AFB. Remember, you will start in PZB Restricted Mode, so you will need to Release before 45kph to avoid a penalty brake application. The train will be limited to 160kph until you reach an LZB entry point; LZB will then take over the speed limit and increase to 280kph, and will automatically slow you down for the speed restriction at Fulda. You may need to use some mild braking to avoid overrunning the red signal, but it should turn green before you reach it.

From this point on, LZB will basically drive the train for you; you can safely ignore the messages to slow down as LZB will handle your speed. Be ready to use some moderate braking at the approach to Burgsinn; when the red G starts flashing, this means you aren't slowing down fast enough to meet the upcoming speed restriction. You shouldn't need to enable LZB at Burgsinn; just stop on the marker, then immediately depart. Again, you can set the throttle to Max and let LZB handle your speed. You'll need to use the brakes a bit again on the approach to Würzburg, and LZB Free when the yellow Ende starts flashing.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Playing this scenario with safety systems on makes more sense, but that’s not made clear and it’s one of the very first journeys for the route. For beginners who never use the safety systems, they will surely have a hard time understanding the point of this scenario, hence my initial post on this. I think it should be made clear that the SS should be on at the beginning, or even walk beginners through switching them on.

6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

What a bizarre scenario! All of this makes no sense at all- it's completely nonprototypical, indeed nonsensical.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This vastly over complicates completing the scenario. Following the instructions in game, I reached 335km/h and was easily able to slow down enough when required to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

You are told to turn LZB off for a reason. The safety systems should not be active.

9. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Safety systems are off by default, so that reason (and indeed the scenario) no longer makes sense.

10. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I think the idea was that this was a test/record breaking attempt run. Such runs do happen from time to time across the world although Ive no idea if this has ever happened on SKW irl.

11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Fine, but shutting off LZB at the breaker before even starting the speed-limited portion of the run still makes no sense.

12. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

I think the main issue of the colleague is that you turning on or off the LZB in the circuit breaker indicated by the objectives of the scenario, nothing changes in the LZB configuration.

To activate it, it is necessary to turn on the circuit breaker indicated, as well as in the upper left corner of the set of buttons located behind the driver's seat. SO THAT YOU HAVE NOT FOUND HOW TO ENABLE THE AFB there you will also find the AFB buttons, in the same way as we find on the left monitor of the ICE 3.

13. Dewedin

Dewedin New Member

I think turning off the LZB breaker is probably an instruction in the scenario just for immersion purposes and to make it obvious to the player the safeties are not meant to be used.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kadesh#1573

kadesh#1573 New Member

I just played this and found this post... what a stupid stupid scenario, pointless, long, nothing to learn from it, not entertaining...