PlayStation New Members To Ps4 Area

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 3440, Oct 14, 2018.

1. 3440

3440 New Member

As there doesn't seem to be a new members area on the PS4 section, I will introduce myself and set one up. I am 72yy (note the 'y' instead of the 'o' as I am 72 years young). I recently bought Train Sim World along with The West Somerset Railway. My sign in 'name' is 3440 which is the plate number of my all time favourite steam loco the "City of Truro". I saw the Loco many times as a kid as I travelled to Bristol Temple Meads from Stapleton Road station on many a trainspotting trip. I live in South Gloucestershire.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    Certainly the love for trains makes victims of all ages :)
    About the steam loco you mentioned, I think there's a chance in the future seeing one of these on TSW.
    What do you think about the modern loco's?

• Like Like x 1
  3. 3440

3440 New Member

To be honest Vinnie, I have only really experienced steam locos. As a child we travelled from Bristol TM to London, Paddington, then the underground to Liverpool Street and from their on the Eastern Region line to Lowestoft, East Anglia a couple of times most years as my mums twin sister and family lived there, and we stayed with them or in a caravan. I was the envy of all my school friends being able to see so many locos on that trip as almost all of my friends never left the GWR region. At School I was also close to the LMNR line and the sheds in Barrow Road (Bristol) so we used to get in and spot those locos too. The staff at Barrow Road were usually friendly to us 11yo train spotters.

So I was brought up on steam and steam alone. I have no experience of anything else apart from Train Sims.

Trainspotting as a 11yo to 16yo (1957-1962) was an excellent hobby and I spent many a summer evening on the platforms at Temple Meads.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Canon772

Canon772 Active Member

Yes indeed, you are very welcome 3440.

I am 70yy and, like yourself, was a trainspotter in the steam era but in York on the LNER route. Maybe we will get steam locos one day, if they can sort out the problems they are having with them.

I hope you enjoy TSW despite the faults which are referred to in other parts of the forum.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

It's really nice to read this, because recently I've watched on youtube some British Parthé railways archive videos from the 50's and 60's and they show everything you mentioned. You probably have lived the true 'golden era' on railway history.

6. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

that's true, despite the faults, could be very rewarding.

7. 3440

3440 New Member

Yes Vinnie, in my mind, another passion of mine was the changing of music. From 1962 to 1970 I was in a band and supported all the number one bands of the day. I have been very lucky to see the end of the 'Golden Era' of steam but also the beginning of 'The Sixties' pop seen. I have stood close to "Oliver Cromwell" No 70013 and met and spent time with (as a support band) for Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page when they appeared with The Yardbirds at Bath Pavilion. Definitely the Golden Era for me.

I too hope to be able to drive a good old steam loco on the PS4 in the not too distant future.

8. Patrick Kolinski

Patrick Kolinski Active Member

Welcome on here!