'jr East Train Simulator' Coming To Steam

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by EchoKilo, Sep 2, 2022.

1. EchoKilo

EchoKilo Member

This might be of some interest to those who like Japanese commuter trains.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2111630/JR_EAST_Train_Simulator/

It is apparently based on the simulators used by JR East in their driver training. From the little info that I could find, the current version will have only two short routes: the Hachiko Line (Kiha 110 series) inbound between Takasaki and Kuragano (about 4 minutes, 4.4 km) and the Keihin Tohoku Line (E233 1000 series) between Nanko Omiya and Urawa (about 5 minutes, 2.7 km.). Based on the article, DLC:s are planned to bring longer routes.
    https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/652b74b55188c0b0c16be02224ea26b736280c16

Here's a link to an article written in English.
    https://soranews24.com/2022/09/07/j...ial-train-simulator-on-steam-on-20-september/

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Regarding the company that made the similator they also have a commercial grade Shinkansen E5 simulator. German equivalent to JR East simulator commercial copy MRCE Railpool Zusi commercial edition with MRCE BR182 185.5 cab 186

3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It is video based which is a bit old style and no substitute for an integrated graphics engine.

4. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Would be nice if Taito released Densha De Go outside Japan - There are a few cabs in the West but they are both HUGE and expensive.

It's interesting that that is published by JR East - though they do have a stake in the very popular Pocket Monsters franchise so are not unfamiliar with game based things.

5. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I was curious if they ever brought any arcade cabinets to the US, and found this. Of all places a Dave and Busters in Texas?
    https://www.siliconera.com/densha-de-go-english-version-appears-at-dave-busters/

6. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I'm amazed it's had an official release! There is a quite prolific Grey import market for Japan exclusive machines - though that tends to Focus more on Rhythm games like Taiko or MaiMai

7. EchoKilo

EchoKilo Member

Happened to come across an article about this game written in English. I updated my original post with a link to it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. orb

orb Well-Known Member

The game is now available on Steam. It's £7.19 / 8.19€ / $9.99. At the moment there are apparently only 2 train runs with 10 stations on the route and 1 way only, according to some reviews, as it's being developed in Early Access. I'll probably check it out in the weekend, or the next weekend, after checking videos from players.

• Like Like x 1
  9. EchoKilo

EchoKilo Member

Here is one gameplay video from YouTube.

10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I bought it. I am not very excited. You get a very basic driving experience for two routes and two train types. In beginner mode, the only thing you need to do is apply power and brake. The mouse wheel is sufficient to handle all this. You can sit in the cab, but you cannot look around or even turn your head. Even your progress is not registered. The scenery is a recorded video. It is not done too bad and it is working, but as a game it is very far away from what you can do with TSW.

In summary, you can do two time table drives in this game and that is all.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Thanks for being the willing play tester, Rudolf. Definitely sounds like one to avoid. A great concept 20 or more years ago before the dawn of MSTS but not really comparable to a proper graphics engine.

• Like Like x 1