Tsw3 Vs Tsw2 Dlc Prices

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Callum B., Sep 6, 2022.

1. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

All currently-available TSW3-exclusive DLC (which is any one of the individual starter routes) show as $39.99/€35.99/£29.99. May we assume that this will be the price of TSW3 routes going forward?

upload_2022-9-6_22-9-31.png

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

They cost more, but there has been no work to improve their lighting or sound?

• Like Like x 3
  3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

There has been some improvements

4. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

I misread. I thought the price of TSW2 DLC went up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Callum B.

I edited my words to be more clear.

Cheers

6. tallboy7648

To get back on topic, if these are the new dlc prices, then I would wonder why they would increase the price when dovetail have said over and over that increased prices wouldn't mean the quality would change or get better.

I hope dtg can make tsw3 dlc's be consistent in terms of quality though. Too much inconsistency in tsw2

• Like Like x 1
  7. Callum B.

They also didn't say that they wouldn't increase prices. I think this is the natural result of maintaining the same DLC prices over a long span of time. Currency and living costs inflate (certainly a lot in the last year) and prices cannot be held forever. I think RSC started selling route DLC way back in 2010 at the £24.99 pricepoint.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  8. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Prices are still the same for me on Steam for both games. Only the TSW3 ones are more expensive, so I'd assume that'll be the new route price (£30 in the UK) going forward.

9. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the tsw3 routes are more expensive simply because there was a lot of work. The german high speed route being 186km, cajon pass being 85miles, sehs is now 90 miles with a ton of reworks like sounds, timetables, etc. Unless dtg says something official, I would assume the dlc prices will be the same as what it was in tsw2.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Callum B.

My counter to that would be that Spirit of Steam is also increased in price despite not having any route extensions.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

If they are going with a general price increase for new(er) content, then as a counter it’s high time some of the tired old stuff, like Rush Hour, got permanently discounted to the bargain bin <£10. It’s certainly not the best time to be considering a price rise as, while so far as the UK is concerned yesterdays news contains a bit of amelioration as regards energy prices, we are not out of the woods yet. If people are struggling to balance their domestic budget, then optional leisure software is going to get the chop. Better to up the quality so people really want the DLC and sell more copies at the current price levels.

• Like Like x 1
  12. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I think given the cost of living increases its natural that DTG are going to have to increase prices. Remember that the energy price cap doesn't apply to businesses here in the UK so their energy bills will be sky rocketing

Perhaps we're going to see less quantity but higher quality until the economy settles down

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Inflation. It is particularly bad in the UK for many political reasons we shall not be discussing in this thread. I should imagine DTG will be giving their employees a pay increase without them needing to go on strike to get it. In order to pay for the increased cost of development the price of DLC has been increased. It was inevitable really and fully expected.

Now that we’ve seen the new price for single DLC the price of the TSW3 starter bundles doesn’t seem so high.

I’ve had a DLC buying strategy of buying most UK routes when they release at full price and all other routes I want in sales. I might add in an extra strategy of not buying so many DLC because the price of everything else I’m paying for has gone up way more than the DLC has. Or I may sit in a cold house nibbling on a single cream cracker while driving all the shiny new trains as a plan B to cope with it all.

• Like Like x 2
  14. tallboy7648

While yes the routes are longer, it's mainly due to that they wanted to make those routes and not due to their length. DTG have said that they won't do extensions and have also said to not expect every route to be 112+ miles long. We can easily have a route that is just 20 miles again.

Not to mention they increased the price on Spirit of Steam even though it sold for $29.99 in tsw2 and that isn't a long route to be fair

15. tallboy7648

This reminds me of when sony increased the price of the PS5 using inflation as it's reason. It's funny that they didn't increase the price of the PS5 in the U.S though

16. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

Those routes probably cost more because they come with the Training Center. You are basically buying the base game plus a route.

18. Callum B.

No, these are the DLC versions, not the game bundles. You would buy Spirit of Steam as a DLC for the game if you bought the US starter pack, for example.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

The "training center" is in all versions of TSW3

20. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

We'll just have to wait until dtg says something official

• Like Like x 1
  21. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Ah, a true, dedicated train devotee.