Southeastern's "elevation Issue"

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ARuscoe, Sep 6, 2022.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Just kicked off a freight run in SEHS from Hoo to Dartford, a run I know very well living in the area and I'm seeing multiple locations on the new section where in real life there are major elevation differences between the track and adjacent scenery, but in game everything's "very level"...

Northfleet - the Southern platform at Northfleet (Ebbsfleet side) is a suspended platform over a steep drop, with the freight lines coming up from the old cement quarry being a dozen or so meters below the level of the North Kent lines, rising up to meet the NKL just to the west of the station.

upload_2022-9-6_20-51-48.png
    In game the cement lines go full length behind the station

[​IMG]
    IRL they are substantially lower than the back of the station, so much so that a whole footbridge complex is between the two

Swanscombe - this station is in a deep cutting between the Gravesend - Dartford main road and the town of Swanscombe itself, so the only way to get out from the station is by some pretty hefty stairs

upload_2022-9-6_20-56-7.png
    In game the bridge is fairly squat, and the embankments have to be forced up to meet the top of the stairs

[​IMG]
    In real life the embankments run pretty high the full length of the platform, especially at the western end reaching up to the high arched bridge

Higham - Just East of the station is a chalk cliff which impeded the progress of the Gravesend - Medway canal, necessitating the construction of a canal tunnel, which got converted to house the railway we run along today.

upload_2022-9-6_20-59-49.png
    In game the "cliff" is more like a low rise, barely clearing the tunnel mouth

IRL the cliff face towers over the tunnel mouth, running along to meet the station car park
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

The comparisons are not even close, especially the second comparison. You could easily confuse all four for being different stations.

3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I guess it depends what quality DEM (terrain) data they used for the route. UK DEM in my experience is not always that accurate and tends to suffer from averaging across the elevations. However for locations where there is a noticeable difference, a bit of hand sculpting or adjusting might not have gone amiss.

• Like Like x 2
  4. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

Funny you should say this. As a Dartfordian I was looking forward to coming out of the cutting after stone crossing and seeing the chalk cliff on the right where fulwich road is…. It’s a bit of a shallow slope which I can assure you, from slogging up and down it, it ain’t!

5. ARuscoe

Yep, the whole area between Dartford and Northfleet is a mass of chalk pits and cuttings which aren't reflected in game
    And the area west of Greenhithe shows a lot of housing where a commercial complex (Crossways) is.
    More affected by the elevation issues which make a fairly interesting area look bland

• Like Like x 2
  6. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I see everyone is wearing Basecaps now ...new attire for the TSW zombies :D

7. ARuscoe

What's that got to do with route topology?

8. There's a lot not right about this route I mean a lot! I learned the route, I know the route like the back of my hand from tsc, yet from a tsw point of view I've had to learn the route again. I found myself blasting past stations because the scenery and landmarks I'm accustomed to are not there.

With the dem data I find it's not accurate at all, even the hd data isn't perfect. In the editor in tsc, if I start on level ground and set a gradient using the gradient data from network rail, by the time I reach the top of a gradient its well off, sometimes the tracks end up a few meters higher than the ground!

I think in tsc developers go by real gradient data mostly whereas in tsw maybe they are following dem model?

Anyway it is what it is. It's good enough.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Possibly this is why there's no marked gradients in tsw.

• Like Like x 1
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Also Swanscombe station appears to have far more historic platform shelters than the modern ones on the TSW route.

That bridge does stand out as being far to low.

I suppose this is the problem knowing the route in real life. The differences are palpable, especially the height of the chalk cuttings.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

Yeah, which says to me either that they're using incorrect data (or making it up) or that their route building tools are less advanced than what they had in TSC when it comes to ground levels and gradients!

12. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

When things like these occur, I do wonder, do the route builders not watch any cab ride or photos of the areas they are recreating?

Of course one can't expect everything to be 100% accurate. But when the TSC iterations of these routes seem to do a much better job at recreating these details, I wonder what is going on during TSW route building. Do they just care less?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Hawkeye91

Hawkeye91 New Member

Fairly new here, my question is, do things like this ever get fixed by DTG? From my perspective, they would basically have to start over from scratch to correct the base map. From what little I've seen, DTG doesn't really go back and fix old problems. I'm guessing this is the state the route will remain in.

As another example, I made a post that in TSW2 Spirit of Steam the "loaded conflats" don't show any cargo on them and appear as "unloaded or empty conflats" This still hasn't been addressed and I even sent a bug report into the bug tracker and have heard nothing other t han automated responses.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  14. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Something like this will not be fixed after release since as you said it would probably mean to redo the whole route

15. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

So they go and botch the hs1 section on sehs when this route released for tsw 2. Now the "extended" route has scenery inaccuracies in certain areas. I wonder if this was made by the same second party that botched the HS1 section on the TSW 2 SEHS route?

When the tsc version looks better than the tsw2 version, then clearly something is wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

From experience, only if there's a rebuild of the route, but in this case this IS the rebuild

• Like Like x 1