Petition For Dtg To Port The New Lighting To Newer Tsw2 Routes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by tsw2, Sep 5, 2022.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This! However DTG have gone more silent on the matter than the save game. Really needs some indication if they are going to bring in a toggle or slider to mitigate the effect.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Have you seen the mod on TSC? No use if you’re on console but that mod adjusts it to your liking if you’re on a PC.

3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

On PC here so I will grab that later on, thanks.

4. Hopefully tsw2 dlc will look the same it always has. I'd like to see what tsw2 trains are gonna look like on tsw3 routes though. Sort of have an idea looking at sehs. It would be interesting to find out from dtg what kind of changes have been made to the trains in sehs.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

hi
    gonna start a petition to DTG fix bugs in TSW 2020 who is with me in this?? LOOOOOL

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I want this too, but I think the reasons on here are going to do more harm than good.

It isn't bugged, its just a prior version, the new one is better, much better and I still wait to see what the old routes look like in the TSW3 game with dynamic weather and nothing else.

Look, DTG want new players, new players don't own anything and so might just by a lot more than the next new route. But not if it all looks second rate by comparison. The franchise should be built up over time incrementally, not suffer multiple false-starts and content should not become obsolete like the old NEC items.

Why buy something now if it is gone in 12 months time, cast aside and replaced with something nicer? Why not wait for that instead?

We have a TS Classic, that is one that has stopped developing but is still accumulating content. The drawback of TSW was it didn't have the depth or breadth of TSC content, but it looked nicer and had a free roam on foot plus service mode. If we keep cutting off the old items then that first drawback will simply never be addressed. TSW content is important, its not something to be used and thrown away. It has to build up over time or else each version will be a shortlived fad.

• Like Like x 2
  7. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid it may looks similar to "Bad things" scenario in LGV DLC, where dynamic weather is implemented. While it is cool that weather changes along the run, it definitely looks nothing spectacular from the graphical point of view. Even with new skybox, in comparison to the any weather change on core TSW3 routes with volumetric clouds.

But, let's wait and see.

8. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. My caveat though is that I think for that to be the case going forward I really believe they need to break with the past. They’ve already committed to bring this content into TSW3 and that is enough. I think they / we have to draw a line under it and accept it’s never going to be as good as the new stuff.

As TSC has been mentioned, look at the original Paddinton to Reading with Oxford branch. Compare that to the later stuff DTG released, they might as well be different games. TSW2 is ok, it’s not going anywhere, but I think the time to expend energy on it has now passed.

I never thought I’d say it but there you go. I would say though that this is DTG’s last chance for many of us. I hope they don’t get this wrong again, or pull this same ‘paid for new edition’ thing in 2 years time. If they do I’d bet people wouldn’t be so forgiving. They have to get the core of this game nailed down so we’re not forever in this catch 22 of bugged release vs inadequate fixes. To be fair they’re showing that they get it with fixing the save game (albeit far far too far down the road) and once done they can move on to sorting out this station lighting not turning on in the dark, hopefully in double quick time . It really is really pretty unforgivable that new TSW3 routes are releasing with this same old problem, I still can’t fathom how this was missed yet again.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

So guys (and girls,) how is the lighting for TSW2 routes when playing in TSW3 ?

10. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

I would say the usual...
    Haven't played yet in all conditions but there is no reasons to be different.

11. After playing tsw3 it looks dark.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree. LIRR for instance isn't a route that should continue to cost $30 with the problems it has

13. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Finally it seems that ambient occlusion is on by default. (we need to swith it on in the .ini in the past IIRC).

Also eye adaptation seems to be a thing, not when entering tunnels etc, but in BKL when looking at lights as passenger its darkening quite a lot. I dont remember of it in TSW2, but maybe im wrong.

14. TKessel

TKessel Well-Known Member

So I'm quite surprised, but for me Dresden for example looks better than ever? photo_2022-09-06_21-30-52.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Looks the same to me.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  16. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Playing the TSW2 and earlier routes today, I’m not convinced there haven’t been at least some lighting changes on the routes in TSW3

17. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Wait, you mean you don't even own TSW3 yet want TSW2 route lighting upgraded? That's a classic.

In answer to your question I've only ran Peninsula Corridor but it looks much the same as before, which is to be expected seeing as they've stated time and time again it's not been and never will be upgraded.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Of course I don't own it yet. A smart customer waits a few weeks/months for patches and to see what issues pop up. Especially when it comes to TSW.

But at some point I will get TSW3, probably by the end of the year. So what's wrong with that?

• Like Like x 1
  19. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Complaining about a product you don't even own so have no idea what issue there is or isn't is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
  20. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

You get the feeling that there are some on here who were waiting for TSW3 to be a flop, have seen it isn't and need to reassure themselves they they were right all along by regurgitating old discussions. Obviously, those who are enjoying it are fools with more money than sense!

I would rather DTG now concentrate on new content rather than spending time updating old content. TSW2 works as before so no one has lost anything.

• Like Like x 2
  21. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

It would take far too long for DTG to put the new lighting into every route. Remember how long the preserved collection routes took to get updated? This would be twice as bad, and the same people who were asking for it would complain it was taking too long, when DTG has already made it clear that this is the case.

22. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Nobody asked for "every old route"
    Nobody would complain if it takes a few months or a year.
    And why would it be "twice as bad" as the preservation updates?

23. james64

Matt said himself it would take a couple of years at least. I do not want to go through another round of waiting for preservation crew updates.

Obviously the new lighting system is better, and in an ideal world it would be in the older routes, but I don't think the old lighting system was terrible, and I'll still be playing the routes that have it.

• Like Like x 2
  24. theorganist

Not withstanding that spending time working on upgrading the old routes, presumably means less DLC which means less sales.

I would love to see something like NTP with the new lighting but I would rather see a new route instead.

The only caveat to this for me, is that it is a shame that some of the recent routes like the new IOW aren't able to receive the new lighting/weather effects.

I also wonder if we are likely to see any new DLC for the older routes, London to Brighton is still missing Thameslink services and I suspect is likely to stay that way now.

• Like Like x 3
  25. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't forget this is a Rivet route so not covered by whatever DTG say they are going to do
    Rivet may decide to bring this up to date (or even already having done so with it being so recent a release)

• Like Like x 1
  26. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

All the old routes are technically able to receive a lighting upgrade

27. theorganist

Yes that's true, I imagine that Rivet will likely have known about the imminent TSW3 (well we know from the leak they did) when they were developing it.

28. ARuscoe

I read a comment from TSG last week that said they've known for months and had already converted their upcoming DLC to work with TSW3 rather than TSW2, so I imagine Rivet had the same memo

• Like Like x 3
  29. ARuscoe

All the old routes are able to be rebuilt with lighting, shadow and texture updates required to implement the new system of course. It's whether the work to do so reaps the benefit of moneys in DTGs turnover to substantiate the works

• Like Like x 1
  30. james64

I'm cautiously optimistic about future Class 700 DLC, as I believe the new SEHS timetable has gaps for Thameslink services where previously it didn't. It does seem like a bit of a no- brainer- they have the Thameslink license and have already done one for TS Classic, there's an AP sound pack for it, there's two suitable routes with gaps already made for them, and if they do an ECML South (one of the most requested routes I see on the suggestions forum), then that would make three routes for them.

• Like Like x 2
  31. ARuscoe

There's been no evidence that DTG have a license to produce Thameslink products in TSW. They have done so for TSC but that's a different game (so may well be a different license situation)

32. james64

What about the Thameslink logo in the livery designer? Does that work differently?

33. ARuscoe

Yep, permission to use logo IP doesn't mean permission to use train, station etc IP

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

This was one of my questions for the TSW 3 Q+A stream, which JD asks Matt around 1:18:15 into the stream. Basically, the response sounded promising.

• Like Like x 3
  35. theorganist

That is good to hear

• Like Like x 1
  36. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it takes a lot of work, but maybe it's an idea to get a dev do a YT tutorial serie so the community can help convert. In the end it's good for everybody.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

It would be great if DTG would support the community modders like this...