However, They Bought Tsw3

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by robbo2k, Sep 7, 2022.

1. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

So everyone swore that they would not buy TSW3, that too expensive, little content, it's just a patch for TSW2 and in the meantime on Steam

The number of players now playing on Steam is:
    TSW3 - 779
    TSW2 - 278
    TSW2020 - 22

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. acro

acro Active Member

What is the point in this thread?

• Like Like x 6
  3. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

The meaning of the topic is as follows:
    a) people switched to TSW3
    b) all the talk about DTG greed and boycott is worth nothing 70% bought TSW3.
    c) the feedback is that there will be TSW4 in a year's time because people will buy it

• Like Like x 5
  4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Remember that al ot of TSW3 owners are currently sat waiting for our TSW2 routes to download and install before we can play so the numbers who switched may well be higher. Be interesting to see what the numbers say in 24hours and at the weekend

• Like Like x 1
  5. acro

acro Active Member

You're not following me, you have made a thread that serves no purpose other than to complain. How is that useful to anyone? It's not feedback in the slightest, it's just cynicism and complaints of others behaviour.

• Like Like x 1
  6. redrev1917

I disagree I think the data is interesting to show that already 3/4 have upgraded to TSW3 despite the nay sayers (myself included) thinking it would flop.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

There are always a group of silent majority, who's just want to enjoy new games and having fun (Yes, the main goals of playing any sort of game no matter what the genre is having fun) and no nitpicking & complains about this, about that, or about everyting not right with the state of the game.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 12
  8. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Yes i bought it, and i would buy it again.

• Like Like x 2
  9. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

I am not complaining, I am presenting the facts. The facts are that today more people play TSW3 than TSW2, despite all the complaints on the Internet about it and TSW3 does not change anything.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

Traditionally, there has been a roughly 2 year gap between TSW releases.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

11. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

In my opinion, the changes to TSW3 are no revolution, but only an attempt to sell a "package of routes in bulk". You write about 2 years but you forgot and with "Rush Hour" it was TSW 2.5 bundled with 3 routes and features that were not present in previous tours like increased rail traffic.

Perhaps DTG after the sales results noticed that the revenues from "packages" are higher than selling the DLC separately and in a year we will get another version of "Night Ride" with engine changes and another package of routes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

How do you know that the people complaining are the ones playing TSW3?

13. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. :)

I do think you're forgetting about people who haven't bought TSW3 and aren't playing any of the older games right now.

• Like Like x 2
  14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Everyone else will be in the same position, they have no control. Subliminal messages were embedded into the TSW2 content to brainwash everyone into an immediate purchase of TSW3 and at least three DLC afterwards. Some of those people who said they wouldn’t buy TSW3 will have found themselves waking up part way through a Cajon Pass service after purchasing, downloading and giving a glowing review on this forum whilst still asleep. I believe that is what happened to me although I was going to buy it anyway.

It’s the only explanation.

• Like Like x 10
  15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Personally I see no issue in people calling out other's people's nonsense and two-facedness on social media.
    Makes people aware that there are many who will say one thing, even tell others to do that thing, then do the complete opposite themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  16. acro

acro Active Member

I guess it was mainly where this has been put that irritated me.

17. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

It's natural that in the forums a proportional large population are just the " loud mouthes " who scream and complain about almost everything. ;)
    These people, who just want to play the game, or generally happy with it most time, don't come here just to express their satisfaction with a game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ARuscoe

Not really sure why
    People have been bleating on about what they're going to do and how other people should spend their money with regards to TSW3 since the announcement stream, so this is a valid issue surrounding the release of the game, even if not directed in the way you may be expecting.
    Social media (which any forum is) doesn't always have to fit the exact brief

19. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself I’ve been vocal about TSW3 and the money grabbing tactics behind it and I still stand by every comment I’ve made mainly in the PlayStation section of this forum. I’ve also said I’m intending to buy TSW3 / SOS starter pack because it’s a bit of a no brainier if I was going to buy SOS in TSW2 anyway. Does that make me a hypocrite or a loud mouth? No it just makes me savy so get over it.

Having said that I’ve recently found out DTG are charging £29.99 for a none bundle stand alone TSW3 dlc which is a £5 increase over the old TSW2 price! Also the TSW2 content is being staggered over several weeks with regards to importing them into TSW3, I can’t find any details from DTG as to how I would import my 4 core TSW2 routes into TSW3 that I initially bought on disc when I first bought TSW2? You can apparently transfer 3 of them onto TSW3 right now if you bought them digitally because they are in the first batch with East Coastway being one of the last ones to be transferred later on in the month.

So! I haven’t yet bought the SOS / TSW3 starter pack and probably won’t do so at least until I’m able to transfer every TSW2 route / dlc I own at once including the ones I have on my initial TSW2 hard disc howeve I do that? This TSW3 game is all currently far to much hassle and tbh I’m having second thoughts altogether about getting TSW3 at all now I’ve found out about the TSW3 dlc stand alone rip off prices.

So there you go Ive been a bit of a naysayer about TSW3 who was still going to buy it for very good reasons but might now not bother after all because of all the hassle and just stick with what Ive got in good old TSW2.

What this tells you is figures about who is currently playing what don’t tell the whole story or truth 100%.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Doesn't include me either, but thanks for the concern :)

21. ARuscoe

I haven't seen you saying about yourself not buying it or that other's shouldn't, so no not a hypocrite

I get what you say about the TSW compatible routes coming over being slow. It's annoying and not that much different to what happened with TSW2020-TSW2 but in the end they all came over.
    With regards to disc versions, last time they had an email address you could contact which they then sent you a digital license code. ie it all worked out within a week or so.

22. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

So long as nobody names any names, I don’t see the problem in pointing out other peoples behaviour.

Personally I find it quite funny that some people were very vocal about not buying it. And yet they’ve already posted about it in the same forum so it’s obvious they’ve bought it.

That’s the way the internet works sometimes. Complain before you’ve even seen something and then buy it anyway for fear of missing out.

Personally I was a bit cautious about getting it after the first stream (dodgy tunnel lighting), but the last stream was a good one and convinced me. Aside from a couple of DLC issues, I’m liking it a lot.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Originally I was skeptical because TSW3 route selection wasn't what I hoped it would be. Especially after the 24h 'livestream' showing mountainous landscapes.

However, after some consideration, TSW3 still offers a decent selection of routes. Still not the type of routes I hoped for, but decent routes nonetheless.

Plus some of the new features announced and detailled in the weeks before release sounded pretty good. And TSW is one of my main hobbies and I wouldn't know how to better spend the money anyways.

So yeah, I guess I'm one of those "complainers" who bought the game anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  24. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Everyone? and what about those 278 who seem to refuse to upgrade? There are even 22 that keep boycotting them already a long time it seems. :D

25. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Sure, there were some who were ( are ) blatantly hypocritical about purchasing TSW3 and there's no harm in calling them out.

But most of us who were critical of DTG were simply skeptics. I, like many, were annoyed with DTG's approach to the save game issue. I still am, as are others. Other people were wavering for different reasons.

I ended up buying the game because I knew that future dlc will be dependent on it. And because I very cautiously accepted DTG's promise to fix save game in " weeks rather than months " ( where have I heard that phrase before? ). If that confidence proves misplaced, I will kick myself in the shins or wherever it hurts most.

• Like Like x 3
  26. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Save game is one of the issues I am watching DTG's behaviour on to decide if I shall buy TSW3. The other is the promised TSW2 updates.

• Like Like x 2
  27. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

So long as profile progression and save games are there I’m going to be tsw3, 4 20 whatever. 4 routes for $60 is great value by itself. Sehs is a completely new route prior to its prior existence. Add game improvements and that’s even better.

28. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Here's a compl from me: When TSW3 was announced, there was much raging about DTG promising to work on fixes during the summer pause, with some even accusing them outright of lying. Now a patch has been released with a giant list of preservation updates and fixes that have clearly not been whipped up in the last week or two. Honor would expect some mea culpas in response. Instead, crickets.

29. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I prevaricated considerably in the run up to release. At one point I was adamant I wasn't going to buy largely over the save game issue. I folded, pre-ordered, got cold feet and refunded thinking I would wait for the starter packs or even a sale. However at some point curiosity got the better of me again so I repurchased the standard edition.

As redrev pointed out the figures are skewed as many like myself are still waiting for the massive download and install of our existing content to finish. At least another hour here predicted by Steam and that's without anything else that might be waiting in the queue. However I already removed TSW2 as there seemed little point keeping it hogging precious HD space. Worth £40 - probably not, but like it or not the future is TSW3.

30. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

I'm one of the people who hasn't moved over to TSW3... Yet anyways, I've still got plenty I can do in TSW2 before I take it out back and shoot it before moving to TSW3, will give DTG plenty of time to get bugs and stuff fixed lol.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or do those numbers seem REALLY low? It's a brand new game and only 779 people are playing it? Does that include everyone playing on Steam, or just a limited pool?

Even if we assume the roughly even spread across platforms, ~2–3,000 concurrent players for a new title seems crazily low. Maybe we should all buy it and give those poor devs a leg up!

• Like Like x 2
  32. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Nope, I´m one of these heretics. And I WILL eat my humble pie! But where are the fixes? What did I miss? Nothing came up so far on my TSW2 PS4 environment.
    Until these fixes clear up the mess in TSW2, the humble pie will have to wait.

• Like Like x 1
  33. redrev1917

Stats grab mid morning in the UK during the working week, Europe will be at work and USA will be in bed. Its probably the quietest time period for the game given the lack of Asian content

• Like Like x 1
  34. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

As one of the skeptics of TSW3 (and still am), I don't think TSW3 has flopped, but from some of the issues raised in this forum section, TSW3 was rushed to completion and could've used some more work - during which time they could've completed some stabilization to TSW2 and then drew the line in the sand. If there was anything that would get me to buy it right now, it would've been a stellar Penninsula Corridor update and re-adding the save game. But, I've seen some feedback on Penn Corridor and it's not what I wanted to see, and DTG refuse to budge on the save game feature.

I still haven't bought TSW3. I lost a lot of respect for DTG during the transition from 2->3 with the way they handled it. I don't normally get on the side of accusing DTG of lying, but they lied to us in the spring about fixing Rush hour+ routes and instead churned out a new game. And I haven't seen anything mentioned anywhere about what happened to those plans for fixes. There was no attempt to get TSW2 into a "stable" state before TSW3 launch (e.g., preservation crew fixes for TSW2 are behind TSW3 and haven't even been tested yet), which any quality, respectable software company would do before prioritizing their "latest and greatest". I don't care TSW3 is a new game with a paywall, but I'd like to see DTG treat their existing customers with a little more respect for things like this. So I'm watching the forums to see how DTG handles stuff post-launch along with the issues raised to see if they can regain my trust moving forward. $50 is a steep price, regardless of what content that gets me - if I'm going to part with that much money, I want to be sure it's worth it.

• Like Like x 6
  35. darylb88

darylb88 Member

I have enjoyed the iterations and I will be buying TSW4 when it likley comes out in 2 years time. Despite not being ultra realistic I enjoy playing it for what it is.. a game.

• Like Like x 2
  36. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

Steam
    TSW3 ---- 1,623 all-time peak ----- 1,623 24-hour peak
    TSW2 ---- 1,951 all-time peak ----- 520 24-hour peak

37. OldVern

Bear in mind some people may still be downloading their content.

38. ARuscoe

I imagine DTG are happy with those figures. 300 less than the peak of the last title when the new one is a revision rather than a new release...

39. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

So, yeah, really low figures! No wonder they're trying to monetise as much as possible. :o

40. OldVern

Plus the Epic PC and console players, numbers of which presumably we don’t have access to.

For all its flaws, TSW3 needs to be successful if only so that DTG can crack on and fix all the problems. And not to mention they probably see the core as a loss leader, it’s the DLC they intend to sell us over the next 18 months or so that will bring in the money.

41. ARuscoe

Indeed, but it does show little decline from TSW2 which is what I am sure they were hoping for.
    DTG are never going to post big numbers for many reasons

42. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

Compare
    Euro Truck Simulator 2 ---- 60,883 all-time peak ---- 37,093 24-hour peak
    Tramsim Vienna ---- 477 all-time peak ---- 56 24-hour peak
    Train Life ---- 386 all-time peak ---- 170 24-hour peak
    Train Simulator (DTG) ---- 3,806 all-time peak --- 1,298 24-hour peak
    Trainz 2019 --- 612 all-time peak ---- 311 24-hour peak

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  43. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Worth noting that those are concurrent numbers (taken from SteamCharts or similar, I imagine) - the number of people playing simultaneously. They're a good measure of how popular a game is but they're no representation of how many people have that game. The main data point that concurrency doesn't account for if evaluating popularity is session length: how many minutes someone plays before going to do something else. A game with high session length will often have greater concurrency than one with lower simply because there's a greater chance of more people being in-game simultaneously.

Obviously the numbers mentioned above cover Steam (PC) users only. It's an interesting data point but doesn't tell the whole story.

• Like Like x 3
  44. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Well, I'm one of those critics, and thanks to DTGs, I can actually evaluate the product before buying it (gamepass). So far I don't see myself buying TSW 3 outside of a sale. The rate of bug fixes and improvements might change it though.

• Like Like x 1
  45. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

A game like TSW has a long tail and DLC can sell for years and here it is very much like ETS2. But for the premiere, you can assume that you don't buy for that, so as not to play, so if you assume that the buyer does one session of 30 minutes a day, we have about 50,000 copies sold on Steam :) How wrong?

The length of the session is an interesting topic. I myself wonder if TSW3 is played for one 30-minute track. Do they drive for several hours. Games "city building or transport" probably have longer sessions, which means that they will have more simultaneous players with less sales of copies of the game. The more requiring the game to focus, the probably shorter sessions. ETS2 probably has longer sessions than Assetto Corsa Competizione.

Due to the structure of the game TSW3 and "NO SAVING", TSW probably has sessions during the game in the form of a full drive, for example 1 or 2 routes. I play one or two tours in the evening.
    How do you play?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  46. redrev1917

So theres more people playing TSW3 & TSW2 combined over the last 24 hours then TSW2 managed on its own ever?

I think DTG will take that as win personally.

47. ARuscoe

Sometimes I play a few hours in a day, most of the time I do one run (about 40 mins) then go do something else.
    Very rarely would I do anything over 45 minutes in one run (none of the UK routes allow for much over this at present anyway)

48. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Interesting data. For me, it does not matter whether it is called TSW 3, Rush Hour 2, or something. This time I like the 'update' a lot.
    I represent a group of buyers who are always complaining, are always satisfied, and are buying everything, such a whim. BR o7

49. With the performance of tsw2 sometimes would they even get away with subliminal messages? Or do you think they timed them to appear everytime the game wasn't at 0fps :D

• Like Like x 1
  50. redrev1917

Maybe the FPS drops were delibrately placed in the game to allow for subliminal messages to work.....