PC Tsw3: Br101 Changelist

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cwf.green, Sep 6, 2022.

1. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

For the last month or so I've been working on implementing some fixes and updates to the DB BR101 for TSW3. You might question why I chose the BR101 since it's such a great DLC already, but that's exactly the reason! I chose the BR101 because I really like the locomotive in the real world and it was such a great DLC to begin with that it gave me the motivation to attempt to improve it even more.

Note: The changes and fixes I've made are primarily with regards to physics (Simugraph) and certain systems. I have not changed sounds, display screens or other visual features, either because I thought they didn't need improvement or because it was outside the scope of my skills in the editor.

Outline: I'll begin by listing changes that are the most noticeable for every player (casual and realism enthusiast) and those features that have certain "gotcha" moments or that can be confusing. After that I'll list more subtle features/changes that might be interesting to read about for the "realism freaks".

Note: The changes I've made are all based on real world data, either from the manuals or by input from a driver on the BR101 (in most cases both) and they often quite complex or subtle so the description will be quite lengthy. Think "study sim". I've added a summary at the beginning.

Summary:
    1. Magnetic track brakes have been implemented on the IC coaches.
    2. Locomotive has mechanical blocks for throttle, AFB speed target lever and reverser that depend on each other.
    3. AFB logic has been reworked. In particular the brake key has to be unlocked to enable AFB.
    4. Traction control system has been reworked. The tractive effort target is now moving slowly and actual effort is delayed up to 0.5 seconds.
    5. Airbrakes (timings and brake effort) has been tuned according to braked weights and UIC data for BR101 and coaches.
    6. Made brake release switch functioning.
    7. Several realistic brake equipment mechanisms have been implemented.
    8. Locomotive now uses electric braking in emergency and penalty brake applications.
    9. DC link capacitors (humming sound) has gotten it's logic reworked.
    10. Drag, rolling resistance and adhesion has been changed.
    September 15 update:
    3. AFB self test logic slightly changed. See bolded section.
    11. Traction lock no longer engages for indirect brake applications if AFB is disabled.
    12. AFB can now be made inactive by manual (indirect or electric) brake inputs.
    13. LZB brake curve has been made more aggressive.
    14. AFB behavior with LZB active has been changed.

1. Magnetic track brakes: The IC coaches now have working magnetic track brakes! The activation of these brakes are not animated (for the reasons stated above) but the physics is all there. These brakes apply if the brake pipe pressure falls below 2.8 bar as long as the main reservoir pipe pressure is above 6.0 bar, the coaches have power and the speed is above 50 km/h. This means that the Mg brakes will apply if you move the train brake lever to "SB", open the brake pipe emergency brake valve (red valve under the desk) or if the safety systems command a penalty brake application. The Mg brakes have been tuned according to real world data and they behave differently when dry or wet. They can be deactivated by moving the brake selector on the coach from Mg+R to R,P or G.

In dry conditions it is completely possible to stop from 160 km/h in under 700 meters with a typical IC train.

2. The locomotive levers have mechanical blocks: If the reverser is not in "Forward" or "Reverse" the AFB target speed (Vsoll) and throttle levers are blocked from moving out of "0". If the AFB Vsoll or throttle levers are already out of "0" the reverser is blocked from moving out of "Forward".

If the brake pipe is opened with the "Ackermann" valve (red valve under the desk) the lever is blocked from moving out of "Open" unless the train brake lever is moved to the "SB" position first.

3. AFB logic has been reworked: The criteria for enabling AFB have been changed. To enable AFB you need to satisfy:
    (a) Reverser in "Forward"
    (b) Brake key unlocked.
    (c) el/pn switch in the "el" position (already done by default).

The AFB starts with a four second self-test sequence. During this self-test sequence the speedometer AFB target speed (Vsoll) bug will move to 100 km/h, after the sequence is completed it moves to whatever speed is set by the lever.

You now no longer have to move the AFB Vsoll lever to 200 before you can enable AFB while moving. However, if you enable AFB while running but the Vsoll is lower than the current speed the AFB will start a reduced brake application (around 60 kN electric brake) as soon as AFB is enabled that becomes a full AFB brake application (full electric brake and air if necessary, not full service) after the self-test sequence is completed. So set the Vsoll to a speed higher than your current speed before enabling AFB if you don't want it to brake!

4. The traction control system has been almost completely reworked: Previously the tractive/braking effort target bug (force meter) was linked to the throttle or electric brake levers directly (but with a maximum speed). This has now been changed so that the force target has a speed that is independent from how fast the corresponding lever is moved and this speed depends on whether AFB is enabled or not and even what speed the locomotive has. The actual effort (tractive or braking) is then delayed by up to 0.5 seconds after the target effort is changed which is how the real locomotive acts and in my opinion looks really cool.

When AFB is enabled the tractive effort target moves quickly to about 10 kN/FM (force per traction motor) to prevent roll back, and then the tractive effort increases slowly at first and then faster with increasing speed (up to 5 km/h) to stretch out all the couplers in the train. AFB tractive effort still increases slower than without, even at it's maximum speed, so many real world drivers chose to not use AFB if they need to be a bit more aggressive to keep a strict timetable or make up a delay (or just out of preference).

Another feature is that the electric brake effort (target and actual) decreases much slower (150 kN to 0 in 15-20 seconds) if the indirect brakes are applied. This slower rate of decrease is linked to the "pilot pressure" which is a sort of internal control pressure that is used to increase either electric brake force or pneumatic brake cylinder pressure. If this pressure falls below 0.4 bar the rate is returned to normal.

Tip: If you don't want to wait for the electric brake force to slowly release after using indirect brakes you can press on the "Bremse Lösen" switch to release the pilot pressure (and in turn the brake cylinder pressure), the electric brake force will then return to it's fast rate of decrease.

5. Airbrakes on the BR101 and IC coaches have been returned according to real world data (braked weights): On the BR101 the brake cylinder pressure has been changed to 6.2 bar in the "Hohe Abbremsung" (high braking) mode and the application and release times on the brake cylinders have been tuned for 3-5 second application and 15-20 second release. The brake force has been tuned according to the braked weight of the locomotive in brake setting "R".

For the coaches I have also tuned the brakes according to their braked weights in all modes (G, P, R) and similarly for the application and release timings. Furthermore the friction of the brake discs have been changed to have a more realistic speed dependence. You will most likely find that the trains both have better deceleration but also require releasing earlier to brake to a certain speed or achieve a smooth stop.

6. Made brake release switch functioning: I forgot to mention this when I made the thread. The brake release ("Bremse Lösen") rocker switch on the front of the desk releases the pilot pressure which in turn vents the brake cylinders on the locomotive for an indirect (train) brake application. This function is primarily used when uncoupling coaches. You would apply indirect brake (full service) to keep the coaches from moving, then release the brake cylinder pressure on the locomotive with the brake release switch and then reverse into the coaches to "bunch" the couplers so that uncoupling is possible. Letting go of the switch will re-fill the brake cylinders. It does not work in emergency or for direct brake. The side-effect I mentioned above is that the pilot pressure controls the slow release of the electric brakes so you can use it to speed up their release.

7. Extra brake equipment features: The "distributor release valve" mechanism has been changed to behave more realistically. It now takes 1 minute to completely vent the control reservoir and this reservoir takes almost 5 minutes to recharge. Since the brakes apply depending on the pressure drop of the brake pipe compared to the control reservoir, pulling on this valve for a whole minute will make the brakes release and not apply even during an emergency brake application, so be careful!

I have also added three other mechanisms that are present on the IC coaches:
    (a) Quick service: when an initial airbrake application is made the brake pipe is connected to a small reservoir that has a volume calibrated so that equalizing it with the brake pipe causes a 0.4 bar drop. This drop is very quick and causes a faster propagation of the (pneumatic) brake signal throughout the train.

(b) Instep/fast release: In brake setting "G" the brake cylinders quickly (same speed as in P or R) fill up to a small level of pressure during application and similarly vent the last bit of pressure quickly during release.

(c) Brake pipe accelerator: This is the most important mechanism for trains using EP-brakes (electrical signals command brake application or release in the train) that also have magnetic track brakes. When the pressure is rapidly decreased (faster than normal service braking, e.g. emergency braking) the distributors on the coach will vent the air in the brake pipe to the atmosphere. This causes a massive increase in the propagation speed of the (pneumatic) brake signal and shortens the time for the brake pipe to vent by up to 10 seconds on long (15 coaches) trains. Since the magnetic track brakes apply depending on brake pipe pressure rather than an electrical signal this means that you get magnetic track braking much earlier in emergency, no matter whether the train is using EP-brakes or not.

8. The locomotive uses (reduced) electric braking in emergency: In Germany many locomotives (including the BR101) actually applies electric brakes even in emergency. As long as the regenerative brakes are working the locomotive will use electric brakes as soon as the brake pipe pressure reduces below 3.0 bar. In brake setting "R" this electric brake effort is reduced from the normal 150 kN to 125 kN. This is now simulated in TSW and a safety system penalty brake application (or opening of the brake pipe emergency valve) will apply electric brakes.

9. The DC link capacitors start charging as soon as throttle is in "min" and stay charged above 85 km/h: The humming sound you are probably familiar with on the BR101 is caused by the DC link capacitors (Zwischenkreiskondensator). Before you can get tractive effort or electric brake effort these have to be charged. Previously this required commanding tractive effort and they always discharged after 4-5 seconds of no commanded tractive (or braking) effort. This have now been changed so that if the throttle is moved to "min" they start charging, and if the speed is above 85 km/h they remain charged at all times.

10. Drag, rolling resistance and adhesion has been changed: The drag and rolling resistance of the locomotive and coaches has been retuned to give realistic resistance according to real world data. The adhesion of the BR101 has also been slightly increased on dry rails (it's now possible to achieve about 70 kN/FM when starting on dry rails) and the wet rail adhesion has been slightly reduced.

Week 38 update:
    Now I can talk about some further improvements I made just before TSW3 release that missed the day 1 patch window.

3. AFB self test logic slightly changed.
    The only thing that has been changed from the initial TSW3 BR101 update is that AFB will start to act immediately upon enabling but it does so with a "reduced response" until the self-test sequence is completed. What this means more specifically is that if you enable AFB while running and the AFB target speed (Vsoll) is below the current speed the AFB will start braking immediately with about 60 kN electric braking and then when the self-test sequence is completed it starts braking like normal (full electric braking and with added air braking if necessary).

11. Traction lock no longer engages for indirect brake applications if AFB is disabled.
    Previously the indirect brake made the traction lock engage as long as the train brake lever was moved to 1B or higher. This is not actually how the real locomotive works. In reality the BR101 does not have a traction lock for indirect brake applications (as long as AFB is disabled, read more on that below) and you can even get traction when the train brake is in "Full Service". The electric brake still engages traction lock however, so make sure to uncouple the levers if you want to apply traction when the train brake is applied.

This is probably the biggest new feature and has some (nasty?) surprises.
    AFB can be made inactive (called AFB: Fahrschalterquittierung) if the driver either makes an (uncoupled) indirect brake application or makes an electric brake application. What this means is that the AFB will NOT brake for you anymore but stays inactive until the train brake and electric brake are both released. At the same time the traction will be locked. If you are commanding the AFB to decelerate the train (AFB Vsoll is lower than current speed) or the AFB is braking for a LZB speed restriction it will stop doing this and only your manual inputs will be used. This means that you can overspeed the LZB brake curve if you for example just make a small indirect/electric brake application.

To make AFB active again:
    Release both train brake and electric brake.
    To disengage traction lock:
    Make AFB active and move the throttle to "0" (off).

Previously the LZB deceleration rate for the BR101 was 0.325 m/s^2. This is more appropriate for a freight train. The deceleration rate has now been changed to around 0.53 m/s^2 which is the value used for the BrH (braked weight percentage) of typical IC trains. What this means for you as a driver is that the LZB braking/stopping distances has almost been cut in half. The LZB Vsoll bug will start to move around 3200 m before a 000 restriction, while it was closer to 5000 m before. You are of course free to brake earlier.

While AFB is enabled (and active) and the there is an upcoming LZB speed restriction the AFB will start to brake earlier than the brake curve. At 200 km/h the AFB will start to brake approximately 10 km/h before the actual LZB permissible speed (orange LZB Vsoll bug) starts to decrease. The offset then reduces as the speed decreases so when AFB has stopped the train the LZB Vsoll bug with be around 3-5 km/h. This of course means that you'll stop slightly before the actual LZB stopping point which could cause you issues if you want to stop really close to a red signal. In reality it is common (I'd say recommended) to take over from AFB and manually stop the train before a red signal.

I would like to thank Justin Stockhausen ( chirimu ) that gave me invaluable information about the BR101 to achieve this project. Without him it would not be possible. I'd also like to give a special thanks to Hazawa who gave me useful general information about German rolling stock and locomotives, and to Maik Goltz who both made such a splendid locomotive and was very helpful when I came with questions. Last but not the least Matt and several others at DTG: thank you for allowing me to do this project :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 59
    • Helpful Helpful x 8
  2. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Is the above a more detailed explanation of this from the patch notes?

DB BR 101:
    • Series of physics improvements relating to brake and traction (also applies to Avmmz and Bpmmz coaches)
    • Throttle cannot be moved out of ‘Off’ when reverser is not in ‘Forward’ or ‘Reverse’
    • BP emergency valve should only operate when brake is moved into ‘Emergency’

3. cwf.green

That is correct. Not sure how to interpret that last part tbh :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

I am very happy about you looking into those details, implementing them and actually sharing them with us! Thank you very much.
    We had far too few posts of this kind in this forum lately.

• Like Like x 11
  5. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Wow, just wow! I didn’t even know all this is possible! And what a great team effort this is! Quite impressed, surprised and thankful for this update. Some of those changes I was actually hoping for, some others I didn’t know it actually existed in the real world (like point 7)…

So, thanks you very much, you made me even more desperate to finally get home and get my hands on this update.

And I would like to echo what tygerways#2596 has said: this forum needs more such posts, technical geekery is much more preferred:D

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. chirimu

chirimu New Member

Was a pleasure to work with you and it definetly wont be the last time I did (even if I completely exhausted my gdrive space with references). Extremely impressive what you've got out of that loco :D

• Like Like x 8
  7. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update

8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Can't wait to check this out. I'll be back with some feedback.

US content could be the next on your list maybe :D

9. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if AFB has now been mapped to the raildriver for the 101?

10. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Thank you for going into details I'd never have been able to! I've stickied temporarily for visibility.

• Like Like x 7
  11. cwf.green

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  12. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

I've also linked in the update notes too.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Went to go try out the 101 on SKW and to my surprise it seems that the IC coach lighting is being overcompensated in TSW3's lighting system. It lit up my cab from behind!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Thank you! I had always wondered what that switch was for.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. cwf.green

I added some extra information regarding the brake release switch in the opening post. I forgot that it was actually a feature I implemented. The switch was animated before but didn't work (it wasn't really necessary before the other changes).

• Like Like x 2
  16. solicitr

So it's not unlike "baling off" the brakes on a US loco?

17. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Great ! Thanks you a lot ! We need those almost study levels locos in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  18. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

That sounds fabulous

19. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

Thanks to all the contributors for this great work, it gives hope for "even" greater pleasure with the BR 101.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

I have been trying the BR101 but I got emergency brakes coming in to Wursburg when there was no signal to acknowledge now it is stuck and will not move, I have contacted signaller to release but I get no response and the control does not unlock. Why is it doing this and prohibiting continuing?

Edit: During a full reset emergency brake handle is now stuck in the on position, how is this reset done?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  21. cwf.green

Point 2 explains it. Move the train brake lever to SB first.

Regarding what caused the penalty brake application I have no idea. Did you release PZB/LZB during the "Ende" sequence? Right as the LZB turns off there's a distant (or combined) signal that caught me a few times while testing, you sure that wasn't the one?

22. cwf.green

Pretty much, yeah. I guess the one difference is that since the bail-off function is on the independent lever you can *technically* release independent brakes on a US loco by bailing off but you can't on the BR101. Also, you wouldn't use it like on US locos (bail off when making a train brake application etc).

23. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

I acknowledged the signal even though it as showing clear as it was the end of LZB but it still put the brakes on. I have encountered the interlocking as I could not move the reverser while the AFB was up but I realised that, I tried contacting the SB after stopping but there was no response message. I have encountered this before where I have been unable to reset as signaller emergency/penalty recovery communication is not implemented.

24. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I tried running the 0230 autotrain service on SKW, but LZB won't move the AFB speed above 160kph (which would make me very late, I think). Is this because there are 'freight' cars behind the IC passenger wagons? (Or am I doing something daft, quite probably :))

25. cwf.green

The real train this service is based on uses DDm auto transport wagons. These wagons are limited to 160 km/h. I haven't tried that service in TSW3 yet but I would imagine that the LZB speed limit is set to 160 km/h for this reason. In TSW3 the wagons used are Laaers wagons which technically can't go that fast, but since the DDm wagons don't exist in the game I think this was a good compromise. Regarding being late I just looked at the timetable and it seems relaxed so you should be able to arrive on time (I think).

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  26. Xaineth

Xaineth New Member

It seems that it’s just the 2nd class coaches that are lighting things up as some sort of sun lol. The 1st class coaches don’t do anything, according to someone on the Train Sim Community Discord at least.

27. SLBM

SLBM Active Member

It's a great update and makes for more challenging drives, thanks a lot!

But it seems that "Bremse Lösen" switch doesn't work for me or - quite possibly - I'm doing something wrong.

When I stand with my consist braked, it does not seem to losen my loco brakes (BC pressure is unchanged), and it seems that I can't accelerate electric brake release with it either, it remains painfully slow. Of course it's possible (and positively challenging) to plan ahead and not accelerate the release, still I wished to see how that function worked. Do you have any advice?

Edit: Now I managed to get the release acceleration effect, although not sure what I was doing wrong before. Maybe it was braking under AFB before, and now manual, although I'm not quite sure

Edit2: OK, disregard that, it works, I just failed to notice originally that the release when stationary should be done after going to full service. So everything works as advertised, great update and thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  28. cwf.green

You can use the "Bremse Lösen" switch for all indirect applications, not just full service. If direct brakes are applied as well it will only vent the brake cylinder to the pressure of the direct brake application.

Example 1: Indirect brake is applied to a brake pipe pressure of 4.0 bar with direct brake released. In the low speed regime this would give approximately 4 bar of brake cylinder pressure. Holding the "Bremse Lösen" switch will vent the brake cylinders fully.

Example 2: Indirect brake is applied like above but direct brake is applied fully. The result is no change in brake cylinder pressure since direct brake gives 4.4 bar brake cylinder pressure. If the direct brake was instead only partially applied to 2.0 bar then you'd get 2.0 bar while holding the switch.

With AFB enabled you can definitely use the "Bremse Lösen" switch to vent the brake cylinders, but if you are stationary the AFB is already applying holding brake (Halte Bremse) which is a direct brake application so you won't see a reduction in brake cylinder pressure.

Regarding when/whether to use the "Bremse Lösen" I'm not the right person to ask but my sense is that it is mostly used when uncoupling coaches and only sometimes used while just braking. Since the coaches take up to 20 seconds to release their brakes from full service you're not really speeding up the release that much (the majority of the brake force comes from the coaches anyway).

EDIT: If the example cases I described above are different for you then something is going wrong and I'd love to hear more about the details.

• Like Like x 1
  29. bdobronz1968

bdobronz1968 Active Member

Very cool update, and very challenging, because it‘s so much harder to slow the BR 101 down to a certain speed. My first journey after the update was from Riesa to Dresden, and I had a 5 minutes delay when I'd arrived at Dresden HBF, because I always slowed down too much. But after some practice runs on the HRR DLC I finally got familiar with it and it is so much more fun to drive than before!

cwf.green Just one question: Is it right that I need to apply and release the Federspeicherbremse during the starting preparations now, otherwise the train will not response to the throttle lever? I was only able to get the train rolling after I did this. Or what is the correct starting procedure?

30. cwf.green

You should not need to touch the FspBr to be able to move. As far as I know all the services are preset to have the FspBr released from the beginning. In fact I drove on the public build last night and I never had those kinds of issues. Maybe you can describe the details of when this happens (route, service name, initial actions before the issue is encountered and also what happens if you don't cycle it to apply then release).

31. bdobronz1968

I will try to explain to you as good as I can what I usually did in TSW2 to get the BR101 moving and what I have changed after the update. Since I‘m from Germany and my English is very poor, I hope you will understand it.

System: Xbox Series S
    Routes: SKW, HHL, Rush Hour Dresden
    Services: For example both Services available at HHL

My steps to get the train running in TSW2:
    1. Place the direction lever to „Forward“
    2. Unlock the Brake Key
    3. Enable AFB and set desired speed
    4. Enable PZB and SIFA
    5. Release the main train brake
    6. Apply power with the throttle lever
    Result in TSW 2: BR101 starts to accelerate
    Result in TSW 3: No power, train stuck

My current workaround to get the train running in TSW3:
    1. Place the direction lever to „Forward“
    2. Unlock the Brake Key
    3. Enable AFB and set desired speed
    4. Enable PZB and SIFA
    5. Apply FspBr
    6. Release the main train brake
    7. Release FspBr
    8. Apply power with the throttle lever
    Result in TSW 3: BR101 starts to accelerate

Hope you understand what I did and this will help you.

32. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

I did a few services already with the BR101.
    I never had to fiddle around with the FspBr in order toget the train moving. Im playing on a Series X, maybe the patch state there is different and we don't have the changes on the 101 yet. Not sure on that.

33. cwf.green

Thanks for the details! Next time you're playing, could you follow your TSW2 steps until (5) but then go to exterior view and check that the coaches are releasing their brakes (double red boxes goes to green). If these haven't gone to green within ~ 10 seconds then something is going wrong. If they have and you're still not able to depart then my guess is that the Simugraph state of the loco has the FspBr applied so you have to cycle it to apply then release.

34. tof70110

tof70110 Member

Travail remarquable et louable, un grand merci à vous pour ce geste de partage.
    Cordialement, tof

• Like Like x 1
  35. bdobronz1968

Okay, I will check it this evening and let you know. Not sure where exactly I can find the double red boxes of the coaches, but I‘ll see. Or could you post a screenshot?

36. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

The 2 green boxes, if they show red then the brake is not released

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. bdobronz1968

Thank you!

cwf.green
    I must admit that I was wrong with Dresden Route, I tried it this afternoon and I had no problems getting the train moved with TSW2 procedure I‘d described above.

But when I try to use the BR101 on SKW, the behavior still occur like discribed. I‘ve checked the lights on the coaches, they stay red until I apply and release the FspBr.
    The only difference in the procedure between both journeys was that LZB had been switched off on Riesa - Dresden while it was active at Kassel - Fulda.

So your guess seems to be right. Hope I‘d could help a little bit with fixing or handling this issue.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  38. cwf.green

Do you remember the name of the service in on SKW?

39. bdobronz1968

Service was NJ 491 Hamburg - Wien, 00:13

My guess is that this behaviour maybe caused by the Laaers wagons of the Nightjet service, because when I tried a regular IC service at SKW today (IC 60401), it was possible to get the train moving without the need to use the FspBr.

• Like Like x 1
  40. cwf.green

I noticed one error which is that the Laaers wagons seem to have been preset for a different initial pressure which makes the brake pipe pressure rise to 4.8 bar rather than the correct 4.6 bar (in 1B) when starting the service. This is not really an issue though and unlocking the train brake will resolve it almost immediately. I can't reproduce your bug unfortunately but I'm running a different version right now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though, I'll try to do some more testing later.

41. bdobronz1968

You‘re welcome. Since I know how to handle it, it‘s no issue for me, too.

42. cwf.green

If anyone wants a really cool and "cozy" experience. Try the IC 2083 (I think, it's the 10:xx service) in December or January with weather set to "Snow storm" :D .

• Like Like x 3
  43. cwf.green

The ”contact signaller” function is less complex in the game than you seem to think. It is not necessary to use it if you get a penalty brake application.

Also I’m not sure why you are performing a ”full emergency reset” and I’m not sure what this implies. Could you explain what steps you are taking?

In any case, to move on after a PZB or LZB penalty application you simply press ”Frei” (Release, End key on my keyboard) and reset any potential traction lock. You should not touch the Ackermann valve (Brake pipe emergency valve under the desk). That is for emergency situations only, and even then you’d usually use the train brake lever Schnellbremsung position. SB is more convenient since it will close the Main Reservoir connection so the MR doesn’t keep emptying.

44. solicitr

Is it possible that the Laaers wagons standing in for auto transporters have their brake mode set to G?

45. cwf.green

No. At least I don't see how.

What do you mean?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  46. cwf.green

No. The script that makes the wagons change from P to G is based on formation weight and that cutoff is much higher than the weight of the NJ train. I also checked in the game and the brakes are set to P by default.

Are you having issues with this formation/service (BR101 NJ on KWG)?

47. cwf.green

Fair enough :)

48. ACCOUNT42

ACCOUNT42 New Member

I also encountered this situation in TSW3

49. cwf.green

I have edited the OP to reflect changes that are coming in the week 38 update to TSW3.

"Week 38 update:
    Now I can talk about some further improvements I made just before TSW3 release that missed the day 1 patch window.

3. AFB self test logic slightly changed.
    The only thing that has been changed from the initial TSW3 BR101 update is that AFB will start to act immediately upon enabling but it does so with a "reduced response" until the self-test sequence is completed. What this means more specifically is that if you enable AFB while running and the AFB target speed (Vsoll) is below the current speed the AFB will start braking immediately with about 60 kN electric braking and then when the self-test sequence is completed it starts braking like normal (full electric braking and with added air braking if necessary).

Previously the indirect brake made the traction lock engage as long as the train brake lever was moved to 1B or higher. This is not actually how the real locomotive works. In reality the BR101 does not have a traction lock for indirect brake applications (as long as AFB is disabled, read more on that below) and you can even get traction when the train brake is in "Full Service". The electric brake still engages traction lock however, so make sure to uncouple the levers if you want to apply traction when the train brake is applied.

This is probably the biggest new feature and has some (nasty?) surprises.
    AFB can be made inactive (called AFB: Fahrschalterquittierung) if the driver either makes an (uncoupled) indirect brake application or makes an electric brake application. What this means is that the AFB will NOT brake for you anymore but stays inactive until the train brake and electric brake are both released. At the same time the traction will be locked. If you are commanding the AFB to decelerate the train (AFB Vsoll is lower than current speed) or the AFB is braking for a LZB speed restriction it will stop doing this and only your manual inputs will be used. This means that you can overspeed the LZB brake curve if you for example just make a small indirect/electric brake application.

To make AFB active again:
    Release both train brake and electric brake.
    To disengage traction lock:
    Make AFB active and move the throttle to "0" (off).

Previously the LZB deceleration rate for the BR101 was 0.325 m/s^2. This is more appropriate for a freight train. The deceleration rate has now been changed to around 0.53 m/s^2 which is the value used for the BrH (braked weight percentage) of typical IC trains. What this means for you as a driver is that the LZB braking/stopping distances has almost been cut in half. The LZB Vsoll bug will start to move around 3200 m before a 000 restriction, while it was closer to 5000 m before. You are of course free to brake earlier.

While AFB is enabled (and active) and the there is an upcoming LZB speed restriction the AFB will start to brake earlier than the brake curve. At 200 km/h the AFB will start to brake approximately 10 km/h before the actual LZB permissible speed (orange LZB Vsoll bug) starts to decrease. The offset then reduces as the speed decreases so when AFB has stopped the train the LZB Vsoll bug with be around 3-5 km/h. This of course means that you'll stop slightly before the actual LZB stopping point which could cause you issues if you want to stop really close to a red signal. In reality it is common (I'd say recommended) to take over from AFB and manually stop the train before a red signal."

EDIT: Changed from "September 15" to "Week 38" since I misread the announcement :o

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  50. Ost-Trieb

Ost-Trieb Member

cwf.green

any news with the light problem? I think it is a TSW 3 Problem.
    I test the BR 101 on DRA with no Problems.

Attached Files: