Gwe Remastered

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by elarthur, Sep 7, 2022.

1. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Now that we have a new longer SEHS in TSW3 I would like to suggest the same be done with GWE which seems to have received so little love. GWE has always been lacking and, I think, could hugely benefit from having ALL branches, both passenger and freight, between Paddington and Reading included to increase playability. As it stands, the route is a straight point to point run of just 36 miles. To assist with this I think that we would need Class 165/1 and Class 180 dmus added alongside to enable a good service pattern on both main and branch lines. In terms of freight, we could have the waste trains from Brentford heading towards Oxford and stone/oil trains to Thorney Mill/Colnbrook respectively which I believe require a loco run around at West Drayton to enable westerly departures (open to correction if mistaken).
    I look forward to hearing other opinions.

• Like Like x 20
  2. oakleymoss#1362

oakleymoss#1362 Well-Known Member

would love a remastered version of GWE.. the route has been one of my favourites since I first played TSW back in 2019

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

It would have to be a brand new route built from scratch, but I think it would be worth it.

Potentially extend to Bristol(1 hr 23) and Oxford(53 mins) would allow a mix of high speed and stoppers that you could complete end to end services on.

Think if they done that a lot would be happy to buy again.

• Like Like x 3
  4. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

It’s been needed since it came out everyone that plays it would love to see this

• Like Like x 1
  5. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

Even if they plan on extending and remastering the Great Western Express DLC they should extend it either to Oxford or to Swindon.

6. elarthur

Totally agree.

7. elarthur

However, a route terminating at either Oxford or Bristol, although interesting, would likely mean none of the branches would be included as it is likely too much for one route. I have longed for the day that we finally get to use these branch lines.

8. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

For GWE Remastered I think it should have the line down to Swindon. The remastered version would have Class 800, (and 800/3) and 802 (and 802/1) and the Class 387/1, and Class 66, and steam layers posing as The West Somerset Steam Express, Class 165/1 and finally Class 166

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Alternatively you can do this as GWR Reading Bristol via Swindon 81 miles then Reading to London Paddington 36 miles both with OHLE 25kv 50hz.

10. gwrfan#3416

gwrfan#3416 Well-Known Member

I support the idea of GWE being expanded but I do have an question. Do you guys think if dovetail expanded GWE would that include DLOTGW as in my opinion you can't expand one without doing the other. Plus it would make people unsure with buying GWE buy becuase it would be worth it. Also I think they should either expand it to Bristol or Oxford which ever seems realistic for them to accomplish as if it's too long it would be hard to make an authentic timetable of the route but thats my opinion after all.

• Like Like x 1
  11. elarthur

Most opinion seems to favour an extension along the mainline which although I like the idea of, it misses a key point.
    That point is, the multiple branches between Paddington and Reading, would add a significant amount of mileage and services as the lines in question are...
    Old Oak Common to Greenford (albeit rarely used by passenger and freight)
    West Ealing to Greenford (Passenger and Freight)
    Southall to Brentford (Freight only)
    Heathrow Junction to Heathrow Airport (Subject to licensing)
    West Drayton to Thorney Mill/Colnbrook (Freight only)
    Slough to Windsor and Eton Central (Passenger only)
    Maidenhead to Bourne End/Marlow (Passenger only)
    Twyford to Henley on Thames (Passenger only)
    Reading to Basingstoke (Passenger and Freight)

I can see no other way of ever realistically including these lines if not included as part of a expanded GWE as they are integral to the route itself.
    Perhaps taking the mainline as far as Oxford could be possible but anything further is potentially too much distance.

12. gwrfan#3416

I remember an old suggestion of mine of including the branchlines and extend the route to Oxford which is realistic but they should also fix the route scenery especially in dlotgw as it's looks like modern rather than 70s old.

13. elarthur

DLoGW is a 2015 route with 1970s trains. The route was vastly different in the early 1970s and would require a total rebuild. It was created to allow users to run older types if they so wished.

14. RichGWR22

RichGWR22 Member

I would like to see it extended to Oxford and have the branch lines between Paddington and Reading adding for the possible class 165, class 180 to made to extend the timetable services of the era of route 2015.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Would be better to keep it in the era it’s in

16. oakleymoss#1362

I've had enough of the 66.. I don't think DTG realise there are other (and probably even better) freight locomotives that run in the uk like the 67, 68, 88 and the 70..

all in all I would love to see the route being extended to Swindon however I would rather have the steam railtours being hauled by Great Western steam engines rather then a Jubilee or 8F

17. tft#6439

I did suggest to DTG of adding a 67 and it's various liverys like EWS, DB Cargo, Colas Rail Frieght, VSOE Pullman, etc. Good idea for the railtours. I personally think a GWR steam engine would fit for that type of setting. A Castle Class or something like that would be nice.

18. oakleymoss#1362

Swindon's Finest at Swindon! although, I've realised that Stanier had an apprenticeship at Swindon before he went on to work for the LMS

• Like Like x 1
  19. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Honestly think if they made the Elizabeth Line they could have a valid reason to refresh it. The line from Reading to Abbey Wood is around 51 miles so it'd be nice. And maybe the line to Oxford or Didcot Parkway if possible

• Like Like x 1
  20. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

A remaster isn't gonna fix the flat boring landscape and the straight 4-track railroad. Reading-Paddington just is a pretty boring section of railway, IMO.

21. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

My hopes for the remastering of this route and its further development are connected only with the participation of Just Trains. They managed to do it in the TC and recreate a large highway.

22. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You mean the Western mainline's route and if they were to rebuild this they would do it has GWML London Paddington to Reading 36 miles all on 25kv AC and GWML Reading to Bristol via Swindon 81 miles. Alternatively they can make it as a whole 117 miles main line GWML London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads basically taking the title of Longest TSW3 route from Schnellfahrstrecke Hannover Kassel Würzburg 186km

23. elarthur

It seems that many people want more of the mainline. The suggestion in my original post is for the many branch lines to be added as there is not really any other way of making this happen. These various branch lines have different characters and would be a fantastic inclusion to the franchise and the route.

• Like Like x 3
  24. gwrfan#3416

I feel like an idiot for not suggesting this sooner but will there be any railtours on the route as I know they have an depot at Southall where two railtour companies, western coast railways and another operate services using class 47 and 37 plus more locos. If this was the case would they be in west coast railway livery or another.

• Like Like x 2
  25. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

In an ideal world we would get an extension to Oxford and the branch lines…

• Like Like x 1
  26. tft#6439

If not the Swindon line then maybe a line to Basingstoke

• Like Like x 1