Tsw2 Final Update Schedule

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Skyz2020, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

I wonder when the final TSW2 update will land?

It will be interesting to see how many stay on TSW2 maybe forever and don't make the jump.

Any steamdb stat fans care to share the user base stats currently?

Would hazard maybe as much as 20% of the base may not make the jump to start.

I supose aswell it might be worth considering if the TSW2 update schedule is even worth it and maybe just focusing in on TSW3 maybe the way forward? Might nudge a few TSW2 people over the line especially say if class 150 and bakerloo updates remain TSW3 exclusive.

All thoughts welcome

• Like Like x 4
  2. Skyz2020

Jasper_Rivet have you been told to hold the 150 update for TSW3 only or is it your understanding both TSW2 and TSW3 will get it?

3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

We don't know when tsw2 will receive it's final updates. The preserved collection needs to be retested for tsw2 and other features that are coming.

4. Skyz2020

Retested?

I thought the summer delay was for that?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

I am glad I am not the only one who picked the TSW2 testing comment up on the last stream. We were led to understand these were / had been through QA and it was just the release that need to be scheduled and now we are being told the testing still needs to be completed.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Skyz2020

Yes I would urge caution, at a guess we are 1 or 2 at best updates away from TSW2 going out of support.

Might be worth holding back from updating until others post on the results as if my hunch is right the next update might well be the last so what is broke then will stay broke... thus forcing people onto TSW3 via the back door.

Now on the other hand the optimist in me suggests there is a small crew of 2 or 3 at dtg ensuring the older game is given the send off it deserves... however from a sales point of view I would imagine tsw3 has to be the main focus.. leaving tsw2 somewhat "pre abandon ware at this stage"... maybe

• Like Like x 1
  7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It was for tsw3. Tsw2 preserved update still needs to go through testing.

8. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

They've said there'll be news about the TSW2 updates in the next roadmap - and the next roadmap is scheduled for October. That's rather worrying...

9. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

One can hope that in this case, "roadmap" is shorthand for the upcoming September non-roadmap update JD mentioned.

10. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

I don't have any news for you RE: TSW2 Preserved Updates at this stage. At the moment, we're focusing on the TSW3 launch, and gathering feedback from the TSW3 update released yesterday.

11. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

But how can we be sure that "focused on the TSW3 launch" won't turn into "focused on future updates for TSW3"?

• Like Like x 2
  12. karlack26

karlack26 Well-Known Member

Amazing that preservation updates that were in the works for over 6 months with roadmaps and live steams saying they were coming and getting worked on over the summer.
    Some how all that turned into, oh we have no dates yet even though those exact said updates were released for the new shinnny version of the game first.

The post I made the other day asking when was TSW3 prioritized over TSW2.
    I was told that some how it was due boring technical reasons that the updates that started out for TSW2 where some how released for TSW3 first
    That makes zero sense. other then at some point they moved people away from the TSW2 updates and had them focus on the new shinny thing that thing being TSW3.

IF i new all this in on Jully 4th I would not have bought your game. Because I unknowingly bought a second tier product.
    Which also turned out to be a early access game, with the down side of the entry fee did not guarantee the finished product.

• Like Like x 3
  13. DTG JD

To be fair, a big proportion of them did come out (GWE, RT, RSN, TVL, NTP, HRR, WSR, HBK) during this window.

A launch skews timelines, again for boring technical reasons to do with builds, platforms, certification, etc. - I'd love to be able to say 'it's all coming out in two weeks', but I also don't want to promise things outside of my control. We've said we'll do it, but there aren't timeframes on it at this stage as we're currently trying to investigate and solve things like Preserved Collection entitlement for TSW3 players, and getting important things like Add-ons Manager out for both games.

14. Skyz2020

JD can we ask you to be brave and confirm that both the add on manager and preserved content will come out for TSW2 "This Year" ?

I think this would be a reasonable timeframe and shows that you are not on the verge of a mic drop moment for TSW2.

Or is it that there is an outside chance no more updates will be coming to TSW2 behind the scenes and this is more of a smoke screen to nudge people onto TSW3.

I think honesty might be the best policy here...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  15. DTG JD

Dates or timeframes aren't something I can provide at this point. As I said, it's out of my control, and no matter how much I'm willing these things to fruition for you, they have to be done in conjunction with work across multiple other areas.

I know Add-ons Manager was very close until we saw a bug with it last week that caused some crashes. Obviously we don't want to push it live in that state, so it's currently 'back in the garage' to review.

16. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It really is concerning how it takes almost year for these updates to release, when we were told they are just waiting for a release window for what, half a year now? But of course they release immediately for the "new" game.

Pretty much seems like an easy excuse to get people over TSW3. While the new routes and features do look promising, the whole thing feels like a cash grab. I mean what's the technical reason for a a "new" game release when routes are mostly standalone entities anyway? If all older routes work in TSW3 from the get-go, then clearly the whole thing could've been a core update instead of a new release.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skyz2020

JD I think you may have just confirmed what all people who are staying on TSW2 already know... there is an opportunity to say "no more updates for TSW2 to focus on TSW3".
    My reason for thinking you have just confirmed this is in another thread you have confirmed ALL updates will come to the PS platform TSW3 for preserved by end of Sept. So this isn't about being unable to confirm time frames it's about not really being straight with people and being pragmatic and saying: "look support us, it doesn't help us you tsw2 gang staying there, please join or... we won't complete the update schedule"

Personally I would be more inclined to join the TSW3 fun bus if the comms here was more direct, as I will admit if it were my company I would just come clean now and go "that game is dead (tsw2) the more resource we put into it the less good tsw3 will be, please follow us on this new journey"

However rant over, thank you JD for the responses let's see if I am proved wrong but my gut tells me the next update will be:

"Due to unforseen testing problems the add on manager is not fit for purpose for tsw2 and it is with a heavy heart that we have decided that version 1.89 will remain the last known supported update for tsw2. This will allow us to concentrate on getting it working for tsw3 and allow us to move remaining resource over to tsw3 for future product stability and expansion"

Let's see how close I am in the months ahead, prediction the above or something similar will be said in Oct 2022 roadmap update

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  18. DTG JD

I'm not going to respond to the whole thread, but wanted to call this bit out:

This is because we're working with Sony on providing something which is a Retail-side suggestion, rather than a software improvement. It doesn't require building, editing, or testing. It's adding entitlements.

As a side-note on the PS thing, we were burned by saying originally that all this would be available for launch (which is what Sony had said to us), only to find last Thursday this wasn't possible.

We still plan to release the promised content for TSW2.

19. Skyz2020

Cheers JD

"Plan to release" is not the same as "We will be releasing"

So I guess we will just have to leave there on a friendly handshake JD, see you back in this thread in 6 weeks when i predict you will abort the add on manager and thus the remaining preserved for tsw2.

Have a good day ahead all and enjoy whatever platform/game you are using TSw2020, tsw2 or tsw3

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

Just a quick reply because I was mentioned in here, nothing to add to what JD said (sorry!).

21. karlack26

karlack26 Well-Known Member

Explain this supposed boring technical reason.

So if TSW3 was never released or planed to be released this year, would the TSW2 updates still be in limbo ?
    Are you all saying we would still be waiting for TSW2 updates ?
    Or is the technical reason is that you decided to rebrand the same game sell it again and then told your team members to push out the fixes for the new game instead of TSW2 ?

At some point you had to have divert personal to tsw3 to get those same outdates out for the newer game first.

Also was it not said in a live stream a little while ago that stuff like Peninsula and Oakville subdivision were done and were waiting to be released.

If I knew the stuff I was buying was becoming second tier software in July I would not have bought it.
    or i would have asked steam for refunds on DLC that crashes. But i did not because I thought updates were at most a month or 2 away. From what was officially said by DTG at the time. No one was saying hold up the updates are on hold for boring technical reasons. give us more time.
    Then what do ya know an entity new game was announced weeks before release. Then updates that were supposedly close to ready release for TSW2 are now going to available for the new game on September 6th , and ah ya we don't know due to boring technical reasons where your updates are.

• Like Like x 6