Cajon Pass - Struggling Up The Gradient

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by oliver.biggs2, Sep 7, 2022.

1. oliver.biggs2

oliver.biggs2 New Member

Hi,

I'm running service L-SBDHES3-05a, mixed freight to Hesperia on a base PS4 so train formations are smaller. However, I'm struggling up the 2.2% gradient out of San Bernadino and I know it doesn't really drop until I reach the summit which is a fair distance away. I'm crawling along at 10mph. 2 locos at the front and a mid DPU so I've got banking comm turned on.

Is this realistic? Would trains in real life just crawl along at a snails pace for miles on end? I feel like the train needs more locos.

2. james.caton

james.caton Member

I've just ran this service on the ps5 and i was getting 18 to 20 mph up the grade. The speeds i was doing was probably normal but 10mph does seem slow.

3. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

I'm doing the G-SDGABQ5-04 from San Bernadino on ps5, train has 6 locos, 90 wagons, 14,555.5 tons.

I get on the 2.2% incline and no amount of power keeps me moving. Banking comm is on.

Edit. Got it moving again, but weird how at full power, it went from 35mph to 0 quickly

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

That's wheel slip. You don't want to apply all the power all at once. Got to be patient, wait for the brakes to fully release and turn on banking comm before you touch anything and make sure switches are on and everything set up quickly

5. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

For those having issues with getting up the gradient, its the game not you. Some of the trains are under powered. I reported this during the early access and the support team never followed up.

6. james.caton

james.caton Member

When I left San Bernadino it was a nice sunny day but when i was at the summit I was in a blizzard. Do you get blizzard conditions on the Pass in early September, did not seem right to me.

7. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

I had no wheels wheelslip and as I said, Banking comm was on.

8. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Oh I see. I must have misread your comment cuz I was thinking it was in an instant. You lost speed over time going up the gradient. But yea, from what I've found in the forums, it seems some runs are underpowered

9. oliver.biggs2

oliver.biggs2 New Member

Unfortunately the service came to an end. It started raining and I couldn't get the train past 3mph without wheel slip.

Thanks for all your replies, at least I know its the game and not me doing something wrong lol.

10. I found that as soon as I hit the grade if I go straight into notch 6 this prevents wheelslip, then constantly flicking between notch 6 and 7 I can stay at around 18mph.