Is It Time Now? Amtrak's P42dc And Superliners For Cajon Pass.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blacknred81, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, while these have been requested to death at this point, is Cajon Pass the route to possibly debut them on? While we are still stuck with 2 services daily (The east and westbound Southwest Chief), unlike most other routes, Cajon has 3 Amtrak stations on it. San Bernardino, Victorville, and Barstow.

Equipment would be the usual....

-GE P42DC
    -Amtrak Viewliner II Baggage Car
    -Superliner II Stepdown Sleeper
    -Superliner Sleeper
    -Superliner Lounge
    -Superliner Diner
    -Superliner Coach
    -Superliner Coach/Baggage

San Bernadino
    [​IMG]

Cajon Pass
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Summit
    [​IMG]

Frost
    [​IMG]

Victorville (Could not find any good photos of Amtrak's station there....)

Oro Grande
    [​IMG]

Barstow
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 30
  2. gam#4876

gam#4876 New Member

I agree, although there are 2 services per day. i enjoyed it

• Like Like x 1
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This can work basically owners of the P42 DLC Cajon Pass can run them on Sand Patch grade the Capitol Limited But not the Pennsylvanian where P42DC must be compatible with ACS-64 Amfleet I & II. The way this is gonna work out is that the training center the new tutorial level has a P42DC in there alongside the 1990s NEC Philly NY Penn DB Baureihe 401.

4. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

From a business standpoint, it makes zero sense to make a P42 dlc if it comes with just 2 services and maybe a couple scenarios. DTG needs to do a route that has frequent P42 traffic such as the CTRail Hartford Line, or the MBTA Lowell/Haverhill Lines with Amtrak Downeaster Trains from a licensing standpoint. Other routes can include a pre-charger Amtrak Midwest route such as the Racetrack which has 2 midwest roundtrips, and I think 3 long distance services. That would get you about 10 mainline P42 services. There's also Miami-WPB which has the silver services, meaning you'd get 4 P42 services. Other than those routes, really doesn't make sense to do it on any other route. Now obviously TSW3 will allow cross-compatible loco dlcs, but the loco still needs to have a decent amount of gameplay on the route it is introduced on.

• Like Like x 4
  5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the SW Chief arrives in Barstow really early in the morning. It would be great to get the P42DC in TSW3, though.

6. Blacknred81

Alleged timetable from May to November this year, so it is mainly a nightly/early morning train over Cajon, but how regularly do they travel on time anyway....
    Screenshot_20220810-201413_Drive.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. driverwoods#1787

SNB to Barstow is 2hr 7 Eastbound shorter than the 185.2 Curtici Duisburg Rheinhausen 2hr 30 service Westbound 1hr 57.

8. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

With DTG announcing they want to split their loco DLCs from being tied to a particular route a P42DC DLC is entirely possible.

So here is the list of places where the Amtrak P42DC can appear in TSW3:
    • Boston Sprinter: NER 66/67 - Drivable - Entire route - 4 Stations - Daily (Can be performed by P42DC or ACS-64 - Service currently run by ACS-64 in the sim)
    • Cajon Pass: Southwest Chief - Drivable - Entire route - 3 Stations - Daily
    • Horseshoe Curve: Pennsylvanian - Driveable - Entire route - 2 Stations - Daily (Plans currently for 2 daily)
    • Sand Patch Grade: Capitol Limited - Drivable - Entire route - 1 Station ( but also will have to halt at Rockwood junction for driver switch) - Daily
    • Boston Sprinter: Lake Shore Limited - Drivable-ish - Enters from portal into Boston South Station and uses Southampton Street Yard - Daily (Actually already has AI only services on Boston Sprinter that is headed by 2 ACS-64s)
    • Peninsula Corridor: Coast Starlight - AI only - Shares track at San Jose - Daily
    • Cane Creek: California Zephyr - AI only - Shares track at Thompson Spring - Daily
    The more places, the more likely it will appear eventually.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  9. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

I would love to see a sleeper route IN TSW3 but it might be too long. How long is the route you are suggesting?

10. Blacknred81

I'm not suggesting a route, I'm suggestion a loco and it's appropriate rolling stock which would be used on the upcoming Cajon Pass route.

• Like Like x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

That will happen when the OHLE is shut off which requires Boston Providence bound regionals to use Diesel locomotives except for NY Penn section which requires P32AC DM

12. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

I too would welcome a P42DC with Superliners on the Cajon Pass.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Sometimes I want to drive these US Freight routes without the burden of a heavy freight train, so any Amtrak add-on which adds some lighter passenger trains to these routes would be a welcome addition in my opinion.

Just hope it's not limited to one single route. The more routes the better, even if it needs a bit of artistic freedom to make it possible.

14. Blacknred81

So, one thing that has been going thru my mind on this, if what if DTG added more than the 2 scheduled services for the Southwest Chief for Cajon Pass?

Amtrak Long Distance trains don't usually have a habit of running on time, so I'm thinking of having a few different services for the P42DC if it was added to Cajon.

1 service each was would be the trains on time departure from each of the end stations. A 2nd pair of services could be added to represent a late running version of each train, timed to run where they don't interact with the on time train, and could be scheduled differently to try and make up lost time. (IE routing around a slower freight if possible)

A 2nd idea to add at least 2 more round trips, even though its way out of era, would be for the DLC to revive the discontinued Desert Wind to the Route.

The Desert Wind was a train that Amtrak ran from LA to Salt Lake City, where it would connect with the California Zephyr to run to Chicago. Reviving it for this route would be a slightly different experience, since the Desert Wind ran with a shorter consist than the SWC. It was also scheduled to run between Barstow and San Bernardino during the daytime. The last Desert Wind ran in 1997.
    desertwind_1996_1110_timetable (1).jpg
    29286051192_72f24cb660_b.jpg
    1280px-Amtrak_Desert_Wind_on_the_Cajon_Pass.jpg
    tumblr_nktb5aFQ9O1t8j0q0o1_500.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  15. CrazyDash

I think you’re stretching it a bit. DTG needs to find the right route to do the P42 on, and there are options. Now I will obviously ignore licensing for the sake of this. A pre-charger era Metra racetrack would probably be our best bet in terms of getting the Superliner long distance stock. Would have the California Zephyr and Southwest Chief for long distance services, and then the Illinois Zephyr and Carl Sandburg for Amtrak Midwest services. That would get us a solid 8 mainline services with the P42, and with adding stock moves to and from Amtrak’s maintenance facility in Chicago, that could add a few more services as well. DTG would also be able to knock out the Horizon coaches as well. A great option to introduce the Viewliner rolling stock would probably be another section of the Northeast Corridor south of New York like New York-Philadelphia or DC-Baltimore. Now if we’re talking about an actual route with the P42 on it, Miami-Mangonia Park is the way to go. That would obviously have the silver service running on the route which would mean 4 mainline services, and probably 2 turnaround services. Although 6 services still isn’t great, we’ve seen DTG introduce new locos with similar service counts. Plus, this would make adding the Pennsylvanian possible as we would now have the Amfleet II’s. So basically to sum up, a pre-charger era Metra racetrack would be the best way to introduce the Superliner long distance rolling stock, and a section of the NEC south of NY or Miami-WPB would be the best way to introduce the Viewliner rolling stock. I haven’t even touched on corridor routes that could add the P42, but I’m not gonna get into it. My point is that there are options out there to add the Amtrak P42DC to TSW. Now obviously licensing does make this more difficult, so I honestly think DTG should for the time being just make a corridor route that has the P42 on it like the MBTA Lowell/Haverhill line or CTRail Hartford Line, then add the Viewliner rolling stock to an NEC route.

• Like Like x 2
  16. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Our best chance would be P32AC-DM on a Hudson Line DLC between NYP (Amtrak) and GCT (Metro North) to Croton-Harmon, the base model could be then easily be tweaked to produce a P42 + Superliners DLC to layer in elsewhere.

We'd get around 20 Amtrak services a day many of which call at Yonkers as an intermediate station+ the Metro North around 150 of varying service patterns (although I dont know how many of these where in the hands of P32's, and some would be AI only as run none stop from beyond Croton-Harmon in to NYC, but I am sure someone more knowledgable on Metro North can fill in the gaps)

The issue is we've only just got the Harlem line so it'll be a while before we see any route around NY Id imagine.

• Like Like x 2
  17. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

I personally don't think service count actually matters that much, I think anyone interested in US routes would buy a good (properly done) P42 with superliner or viewliner coaches without a second thought

18. CrazyDash

I just don’t see that working from a business standpoint. Most of the playerbase is European. If DTG made the P42 pack for Cajon and you only got 2 playable services and maybe 1 or 2 scenarios, most people would probably just call it a scam. Even if it layered onto other routes. DTG also needs to make not only the Superliner rolling stock, but also the Viewliner stock and Amfleet IIs. It just seems like too much work for little value. I’ve said it a million times and probably a million more, there are other options. There are routes DTG can do to introduce the P42 on that make sense from a marketing standpoint. They just gotta find the right route.

19. driverwoods#1787

Correct and remember NEC Boston Providence does run Amfleet IIs in realife basically P42DC needs to be compatible with NEC Boston Amcans I & II for HSC Cajon Pass Sand Patch Grade Supeliners

20. redrev1917

P42's don't run Boston Providence. There's only the Lakeshore Ltd which brings them to Boston and that would be AI only as goes off portal very soon leaving Boston

21. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

This needs to happen.

22. driverwoods#1787

Absolutely correct but in some cases when OHLE has to be repaired on Boston Providence P42DC has to run the Regional on NEC Boston Providence like this one

2nd version P42DC lead ACS-64 trail

Time to time this is actually carried out in order to prevent the train from being cancelled

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  23. redrev1917

That would be a cool bonus scenario :)

24. CrazyDash

Amfleet IIs are only used on long distance services. Only the Northeast Regional goes up to Boston which obviously uses Amfleet Is

25. driverwoods#1787

You mean the Pennsylvanian

26. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

Couldn’t disagree more. If you look at model railroading Amtrak is consistently the top selling rolling stock and locomotives. Some Amtrak equipment is incredibly hard to find. Case in point viewliner sleepers have not been produced since the late 2000s in Ho scale. As a result you have to pay a premium on eBay. The market for Amtrak here couldn’t be hotter! Having only freight trains on a route is like having half a route. And I’m talking long haul passenger trains, not all these electrified routes.

A well modeled P42 would be an excellent addition to the game. They include the GP38 or SD40-2 with every route why not a P42. Personally I’m incredibly bored with both of those locomotives at this point. Amount of services seems like a flimsy argument if you’re using it across multiple routes. If services is an issue run it out of Altoona and include the Altoona railfest excursions. They used to have multiple round trips a day. It would run from the platform in Altoona, and then take the inner track of the wye between Gallitzin and New Portage tunnels where it would return to Altoona. It would be 4 or 5 services a day plus the two Pennsylvanians and you’re pretty busy. Set it as a heritage route and add some Material Handling and road railer cars and you can also add 2 daily Three Rivers trains, which were functionally Amtrak mixed freights.

• Like Like x 3
  27. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

Okay

28. driverwoods#1787

Excellent idea and If you set this back even further the Amtrak Three Rivers train was actually known as the Pennsylvania Railroad Broadway Limited which you can play on train simulator classic version of HSC. P42DC does fit on Boston Northeast Corridor route because when Amtrak needs to do overhead wires repair they have to have the diesel locomotives run the service happens on trains 65-67 Twilight shoreliner service which has a viewliner I or Viewliner II sleeper coach. Coupled to Amfleet Is

29. breblimator

breblimator Guest

30. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

31. dramos#3074

dramos#3074 Member

[EDIT - Jan - Insulting]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2023
  32. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

Wow, you're a rude one ain't you?!

• Like Like x 1
  33. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

what?

34. Blacknred81

That insult was unnecessary.

• Like Like x 1
  35. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I really hope we get the Genesis locomotives at some point for TSW. They are one of America's leading passenger locomotives currently

• Like Like x 1
  36. amtrak145

amtrak145 Member

It is time we get all this. I believe we have waited far too long for anything Amtrak long distance related for TSW. Even if it is two services it can be possible for this. Putting it on a multitude of routes could make it more enjoyable (in my opinion.) It has been too long for anything like this to come out while TSC has all kinds of stuff like that awhile we're stuck with just ACS-64s, Acelas, Amfleets and the Amfleet cab car. It doesn't make any sense to me.

• Like Like x 2
  37. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

I would welcome a GE P42DC with open arms. I love these locomotives. I wish we had them in a smaller form under a Class 92 bodyshell as a Class 62 and if I had the money. I would make it happen in the UK or at least in Northern Ireland.

38. tswgamerts

tswgamerts Member

A good idea, however I just don't think 2 services would be enough for a dlc

39. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is interesting that some of the US freight routes are not just freight routes. I would love to work some passenger trains over Cajon and SPG. I don't have the other routes yet.

• Like Like x 1
  40. tehangrybird345

tehangrybird345 Well-Known Member

They could do what they did with the ROG class 37 and make it so there are services that only last every month, but are exactly the same, so you would get 24 services, but it would still feel like the regular two, or they could just throw in extra scenarios, they are giving us 7 for the 700 so why not do the same for this

41. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

What benefit would that have? Sounds like a bad marketing practice where they can say "includes 24 services!" while in practice it only includes 2.

42. tehangrybird345

tehangrybird345 Well-Known Member

It’s just a way to increase services without it being unrealistic, they did something similar with the ROG Class 37 and it seemed to be a welcoming feature

43. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Why does this image bring me an idea of an rescue scenario included with the Southwest Chief DLC?

44. Blacknred81

It honestly happens a few times a year, especially with how worn out the P42DCs are now.

Even saw one myself back in 2020.
    FB_IMG_1686341438510.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  45. Blacknred81

And now this happened at Hesperia, looks like 2 SWC's back to back.

46. BN3140

BN3140 Member

Instead of attaching it to Cajon Pass, they should just release an Amtrak superliner pack and layer it onto as many routes as they can. I'm curious to see what the next BNSF route may be... Scenic Sub. would be nice. Empire builder anyone?

47. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Well the P42 needs atleast 3 scenarios connected to it like every other loco dlc

48. driverwoods#1787

You are correct also a version for the Northeast where you run them with Viewliner II Amfleet I and II carriages. Basically an Amtrak long distance pack complete with P42 and ALC-42 locomotives.

• Like Like x 2