Xbox Please Consider Adding A 1440p Mode

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dreampage, Sep 6, 2022.

1. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Performance in TSW 3 on Xbox Series X is just not stable. Yes, it may run at around 60 fps the majority of the time, but there are also extended sections where the framerate just collapses. It's visible and extremely distracting. Even the Kassel - Würzburg introduction module, where you have to climb and sit on an ICE 3, is just terrible, with the framerate within the cab dropping to low levels. Just sit down and look around! I can't even imagine how bad it can be during rain and storm, as well as in more demanding areas.

Now, we have two graphics options, "HD" (1080p) and "4K". I appreciate the sharpness of 4K resolution but it's not implemented well. Dynamic Resolution Scaling (DRS) is not used, so the game always forces full 4K resolution even if it means the framerate is sacrificed. I don't understand why this technique can't be used in a 2022 game, while basically the whole industry has given up forcing raw pixel numbers and use DRS instead for more stable performance. (To those who don't know, Dynamic Resolution Scaling decreases resolution on the fly when the game can't keep the target framerate, it's not noticeable but the result is a much more stable performance.) On the other end, 1080p is just blurry, it's not really adequate for 4K TVs, what's more, even on my 1080p screen it is too blurry, with lots of graphics artifacts, jaggies and shimmering.

Since all we have is a simple resolution choice and nothing else, I think the middle ground between image quality and good performance would be a 1440p mode. This would look good on most screens while still providing a much more stable framerate than what the 4K mode currently has. I fail to see why the developers don't use DRS, why they insist having native 4K when it's clearly not optimized properly, the game drops frames and stutters. But since we have no hope to get more advanced (although now industry standard) features, at least a 1440p option would be welcome.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Agreed. A 1440p performance mode would be super helpful for the major FPS impact TSW3 has had over TSW2.

Also, given how well FSR 2.0 has been implemented and how easily, both by devs and by modders for many games, I'd be interested to see it applied by DTG to TSW3.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’d support this. The more options for us players, the better in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

I play it on a Series X on an old 1080p tv and compared to the super smooth tsw2, it runs pretty bad...

• Like Like x 2
  5. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

So much for the claims during the pre-launch streams that TSW3 runs just as well as TSW2, even with the dynamic weather, volumetric clouds, and enhanced lighting...

Either DTG don't know how to implement DRS, or they just want the 4K Ultra HD flag in the Store as a marketing bullet point.

I'd also like to see them add HDR, something that was asked about on stream pre-launch, but that TrainSim-Matt confirmed wasn't a thing.

A real shame, as the pre Xbox Series version of TSW2 utilised Auto HDR, and looked absolutely great.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Strange that some people are finding it runs bad on Series X. I'm playing on a 4K Tv and it's running nice and smooth for me. I've only played the UK and German Routes though and a few TSW2 DLCs. Are there any other routes that are particularly bad?

7. Princess Entrapta

I actually had to drop it from 4k mode to 1080p mode on Cajon Pass as I was getting 24fps there on my Series X whenever there was rain or fog.

8. kierlakair#8649

kierlakair#8649 New Member

On Xbox Series S. In 4k mode game doesn't run smooth. In HD in runs very well but resolution is not great and blurry. Would be nice to try something in-between

9. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Upon further testing I can confirm that all three routes have performance problems. Even Cajon Pass, with its desert environment without much foliage, slows down considerably whenever the train is on the screen (external camera, for example). On SEHS, even the Introduction module runs bad, as soon as you climb onto the cab. I have no way to enable the framerate counter (no USB keyboard) but it's more than visible.

The HD mode is almost unusable, however. The 1080p (?) resolution looks just blurry, and I play on a 1080p screen. Is it 1080p at all, in the first place? Looks more like something in the 720p range. Basically not a viable way to play.

10. Princess Entrapta

I exclusively use it on Series S, as it's basically the only way to play, since I can't tolerate the low FPS of the 4k mode there.
    I imagine many of the textures in the 1080p mode are actually designed for a sub-1080 rendering resolution for the last gen consoles, which is why trees for example look as rough and pixellated as they do.

11. darylb88

darylb88 Member

Like all new launches, it will take a few weeks to iron out memory useage and then fps will improve, much like with TSW2. 1440p could be a good option if it is feasible to do. On paper implementing things seem easy in game development but speaking from exp they rarely are!