Xbox Audio

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nicolás train sim, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Nicolás train sim

Nicolás train sim Member

The audio on xbox (I have xbox series S) has some serious quality issues, I would appreciate dovetail taking a look and possibly fixing these problems.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

To me it's like there is a double doppler echo on most of the sounds on Series S. The PS5 is fine.

3. Nicolás train sim

Nicolás train sim Member

Yaah that's exactly the problem I have

4. roggek

roggek Active Member

Maybe check if Sonic Audio is off.
    To change headset audio settings:
    1. Press the Xbox button  to open the guide and select Profile & system > Settings > General > Volume & audio output.
    2. Under Headset audio, choose one of the options in the Headset format dropdown menu.

5. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

I don't use a headset. Its the standard audio into my OLED TV with HDMI. Only TSW3 has the sound issue on Series S and no other game.

I don't honestly believe this game was play tested at all from the state it's in on Xbox SIS.

• Like Like x 5
  6. darylb88

darylb88 Member

I play on Series S and sounds seem fine apart from the popping sounds on the ICE trains

7. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

I dont have any sound issues on Series X via HDMI to OLED TV either.
    Aside the known stuff, that was / is is broken in TSW2 already on several Locos on DTG side.

8. trainsUK

trainsUK Member

I have got poor audio with both my headset and tv . Southeastern high speed seems to be especially affected , particularly the 465

• Like Like x 2
  9. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Problem is that it doesn't seem to be easy to replicate. I had sessions that had audio issues during the entire sessions and then I had sessions where it was hardly noticeable.

10. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

I have been hearing a noise in the cab, sort of like a crackling noise, or crinkling cellophane. It is not always present, but it is prevalent in the 66, 395, and 465 (so far). I had thought perhaps it was put there intentionally there by DTG as a sort of cab creaking, ambient noise kind of thing. Is this what you are referring to, or is that something else?

Incidentally, I find the cab noise, whether intentional or not, annoying and have been attempting to minimize it with the audio settings.

11. gobig#1834

gobig#1834 Member

I couldn't agree more. It most certainly shows that game is really not optimized for Series S/X has advertised. If it were, we wouldn't have half the problems we have on the xbox.

• Like Like x 2
  12. antwerpcentral

No it's more like a an old scratched record. The cracking can't be intentional.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Can anyone provide any recordings of the sound issues?

Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  14. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

If it's the predator noise (from the Arnie movie) as I like to call it then it's actually been there since TSW2 and if memory serves me correctly it was intentionally added. If you dig deep then there are old posts about it somewhere within these forums.
    Yes....it is very annoying.

There are others...somewhere,but:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/we-know-its-not-good-enough-sam.46408/#post-388308

Post #23 (Oct 2021)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  15. pinxtonpaws

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  16. antwerpcentral

17. antwerpcentral

If I have time tonight I'll see if I can catch some audio but it won't be direct from the source but with a mic. FYI I have Dolby DTS as settings. Could this be the reason?

18. pinxtonpaws

ok, my bad. It's the only 'unusual' noise I've ever come across in TSW

19. antwerpcentral

I think it was an experiment, the problem with that rattle is that it is 1 or 2 samples and that makes it sound very artificial. It should have been multiple samples of the same noise with a slight variation.

Edit: did not had much time to play/ Like I said in a previous post it's difficult to recreate, sometimes it's omnipresent and sometimes it's not present.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. NateDogg7a

TrainSim-Matt This is an example of what I am describing concerning the Class 66. It's the very constant squeaking-type noise in the background. Like I said, I am unsure if this sound is intentional or not. I will also try to record for the 395. Thank you.

21. NateDogg7a

Well and here is the 395, hard to describe but sounds like a sort of rattling noise in the background, very persistent. Once again I don't even know if it's intentional or not, but to my ears it is rather unpleasant in any case. However, I would note that I don't always notice it on the 395, certainly not as much as with the 66, which is why I thought that perhaps it was not there on purpose. They are both quite a contrast to the whisper-quiet 375 cab, for sure.

22. DTG Matt

Yes both intentional. The class 66 is i believe the seat squeaking and the 395 is general rattle - I added that myself in one of the updates just after SEHS originally launched, after feedback it was too dead in the cab I reviewed cab ride videos and found that it rattled a fair bit, so I added it to add more life in the cab audio.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  23. NateDogg7a

Thanks, good to know.

24. antwerpcentral

After playing with the BR182 on Kassel I'm now certain the crackling I was hearing was loco related and is just really bad audio design somewhere with the Xbox audio because the BR182 doesn't have any of it. I was wondering why I was enjoying the BR182 so much and realised the immersion wasn't broken by crackling noise. The crackling noise I mean is loop cut offs but they sound very weird like the cut off doesn't even make sense. It's very unpredictable. I heard it on every loco so far except for the BR182.

Before I said it was omnipresent or not present but it would always appear minimum a few times on every service I did in TSW3 except now with the BR182. Is there something different or new introduced to the audio of the BR182?

25. antwerpcentral

TrainSim-Matt the audio problem is easy to replicate on Tharandter Rampe. Go to journey and choose the BR 612 services. I don't think the tutorial has it but as soon as you leave the platform on the other services you start to hear something that sounds like a scratched vinyl record. It's very pronounced on this route as it starts immediately when you start to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I can confirm that on this route. I was playing last night. Through headphones it is really noticeable.

27. antwerpcentral

I"m hearing that sound on multiple routes since TSW3. Must be something wrong with the audio codec or something. On most routes it kicks in after a certain amount of time or not so loud as on Tharandter Rampe

28. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

sounds are quite distorted on my xbox series x running into a 4kuhd tv

29. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

DTG Matt
    Hi Matt, below are links to two clips I recorded on my Series X, the first from TSW2, the second from TSW3. As a good example of how the audio has degraded in TSW3, please listen to the AWS alarm sound, notice how it crackles. Other game sounds also crackle to some degree, it’s more obvious with high pitched tones, but you can even hear it with the safety valve sound in SoS. This sizzling/crackling is especially noticeable with a headset. FYI I have logged a ticket (50761). Many thanks.

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/redbus36/video/167009706
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/redbus36/video/167009727

• Like Like x 2
  30. DTG Matt

Yep thyank you - i'll add it to t he list of things the team are investigating, once again dumbfounded tbh, because audio wasn't changed at all between 2 and 3!

We'll look into it.

Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Gtasandman

Gtasandman Active Member

yeah ive noticed even some horns sound really bad like on the 66 and 379? (blue local train on sehs) horn just cuts off instantly as soon as you let go of the button 0 transition. Also alot of crackle.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  32. Nicolás train sim

Nicolás train sim Member

465 door open/close beeps sound horrible

33. Nicolás train sim

Nicolás train sim Member

Hi Matt, it would be great if you could try and open and close the doors on the 465 on xbox series S (on tsw 3) so that you can hear by yourself the problem that we are having because it really kills the inmersion experience, this audio quality problem affects all the trains but it's more clear on some trains like the 465. What I mean with this is that somehow the audio has degraded from tsw2 to tsw3 and all high pitch sounds like door open/close beeps and aws are cracking.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  34. DTG Matt

I'm sure they were always cracking before - I seem to recall this being present since GWE days. It's yet another artifact of the XAudio system - though I was hoping it was improved with the change a while back to stop it going bad all the time. I'll take another look though, yes.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Doesn’t do it in TSW2 though which is weird.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Nicolás train sim

Nicolás train sim Member

This problem was solved in tsw2 a long time ago after the unreal engine upgrade, at least for me.
    Thanks a lot for answering to my post, it would be brilliant to have this fixed as tsw is my most played game and having this problem fixed would really make a big difference.
    I really appreciate you taking a look at this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Gtasandman

Gtasandman Active Member

Yeah alot of the sounds issues im having were not present in the tsw 2 versions of the trains. Most of them were fixed around the time the looping audio was fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  38. tuxcatazuma

tuxcatazuma Active Member

Would be great to have the audio reworked on the Xbox. It's like night and day when comparing to the sounds from the PC version of the game. It's as if the bitrate of the sounds heard from the Xbox version are much lower than those on PC. I know that's not the issue, but the sound quality really lets the Xbox version down. The most impacted elements for me are the screechy AWS sounds and the looping of engines, with static pops (particularly noticeable with the ICE). Luckily I can play on the PC, but I would really like to go back to playing on the Xbox if the sounds issues can be addressed.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Nicolás train sim

Nicolás train sim Member

Hi Matt, I was waiting for december roadmap to see if the xbox audio fix was in there but It's not.
    Could you please confirm if you are still working on getting it fixed??
    Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 2
  40. antwerpcentral

Think it's gonna be a long wait. They probably have no idea what is the problem. I noticed on the stream that it takes a very long time for them to figure stuff out. I know this Is in hindsight commentary but identifying why the Harlem line had so many red lights was a real facepalm issue.

41. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

I switched from PS4 to Xbox Series X a few months ago and yes, TSW audio quality on Xbox is simply awful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. tuxcatazuma

tuxcatazuma Active Member

I appreciate that many might not be in the position to have a PC and Xbox, but if you do and you've bought the game and/or DLC on Xbox, you can download and play the PC version via the Xbox app on Windows 10/11 without having to buy again. You can also get to the game files too, so mods can also be enjoyed. Whilst I really want to play on the Xbox, as I find playing on the console more relaxing, I have resorted to using the PC, because of the popping and terrible quality of the sounds on Xbox. I hope that one day the sound on Xbox can be on par with PC and PS, but I do understand resolving this is not a simple fix.

43. antwerpcentral

And that is where I draw the line. If I can't play it console I'm not playing it. I just don"t play behind a computer and connecting my computer to my TV isn't an option also. Plus it doesn't do away with other problems that are all-platform-issues so it's not like playing on PC solves the problems we are enduring on Xbox. It just makes some problems go away

• Like Like x 3
  44. Nicolás train sim

Nicolás train sim Member

Exactly, I was hoping for them to at least add it to the roadmap for us to know that they are aware (even matt answered to our posts) , I was even thinking about buying the Birmingham dlc if the audio gets fixed but with this audio problem I can't really enjoy any content in the game.
    At this point I'm just starting to lose hope...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  45. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

Given how long it took to fix the previous audio issue on Xbox, one that had been there since the series first launched into Game Preview early access with just the GWE route, and wasn't fixed until the tail end of TSW2's shelf life, I'd say that we're easily looking at this one taking years to fix again, so maybe by the time TSW4 releases?

Failing that, worst case scenario, with the next generation of Xbox...

46. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

And there was me considering to purchase an XBox instead of aPS5. The latter has the DLC limit issue (which I pretty much doubt DTG will ever solve) and the XBox got audio issues. Pretty bad ones too. So, once again: You can chose between beheading by sword or being nailed to the cross.
    Last resort can be purchasing a PC. You could also enjoy some really outstanding works from the "Modders". You just loose the comfort of a console play.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  47. Nicolás train sim

Nicolás train sim Member

DTG Matt any updates on this xbox audio fix?

48. sivn#4246

sivn#4246 Member

I’m sure I read somewhere, that someone survived being nailed to a cross. Happened one Easter

• Like Like x 1
  49. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

LOL :D:D:D
    Now, that would be too pretentious.
    I go for the sword. Quick death.

50. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

With the audio compression caused by the default xbox audio engine, it caused sound issues like the jackhammering effect. So dtg asked other studios and did their research and found that they would need to switch to a whole new audio engine which is a great task cuz of the potential use of more memory and bigger audio files and stuff to improve the audio which dtg has already explained. I know dtg did find a way to get rid of the jackhammering using the same xbox audio engine I believe. But switching to a whole new audio engine to fix the audio issues is a giant task for dtg cuz of the potential effects it could have.