Just My Series S Review

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by NateDogg7a, Sep 9, 2022.

1. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Picked up the Cajon pack, even though it's still mostly just to play SEHS.

The Good

Both routes seem well-detailed. The difference between the old and new SEHS is noticeable, in a good way. Cajon is comparable to SPG, which I consider one of the best for scenery implementation. The timetables are also well done, especially SEHS, a Joe timetable and it shows. Approach control seems to work.

The skies and weather also make a bigger difference than I thought they would, perhaps it rains too frequently in some cases but it can be turned off, so, a solid addition.

The Bad

On console I feel the UI is much worse. I am still not used to the grey selection being the active one. There are many problems. You have to scroll all the way up in timetable to access search. You can't see how many services per loco. The custom liveries are listed by name only, no picture(!), and the icons are too small to begin with. You can't see your medal count by route anymore. It seems everything takes more button pushing or directional use than it did in TSW2. Others have mentioned that it seems optimized for PC and mouse use only, and I concur.

The training center still feels superfluous at best.

The Ugly

The skies and any white coloration or background are just too bright. The change made in the Overview to a white background makes it very difficult to read the line indicating your speed. I would gladly adjust the brightness down and accept darker tunnel/night environments, if that were possible.

The shadow draw distance is terrible. Dark shadows pop about one car length in front of your train. Ligther shadows pop about two car lengths in front of you. I would prefer to have shadows off, then look at that. Freight wagons also have a habit of popping into your view at close range.

For me the most problematic bugs right now are the missing save function and the "fog issue." I have also noticed that custom liveries do not appear to spawn at all on Cajon, only the one you are driving if you select it.

I will probably get my money's worth just on time spent driving the 395, but if you are someone still on the fence and none of the new/redone routes interest you, I would consider waiting.

• Like Like x 2
  2. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

I agree with the UI it was a funny way to colour the yes and no box surely it should be the other way around? As I also find myself second guessing which option is being selected.