Lirr Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nacho, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Hello everybody, did somebody try out the update of the LIRR route? Does it improve the performance?

2. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I saw that, that's why I'm asking if someone noticed improves in performance

4. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

I'm wondering the same.. I was holding back on buying the route because of the horrid fps up until now - I'm hoping this update has fixed the issue.

5. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Still the same dreaded fps issue.. 15-21 fps in a lot of places. 28 fps seems to be the max for this route. I requested a refund.

6. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

To be honest I haven't seen any improvements, and if anything supposedly a sound bug was introduced to the M7 where an AI train always has the brakes on, making a screeching sound as it moves.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I'll check if I find the time. At the moment I'm addicted to ETS2... :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Image2.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

New ears are available as additional DLC.

10. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I agree, the performance is still bad on the LIRR route and the AI M7 has a break sound on when it's running. Also, the M7 propulsion is barely audible. I did notice a difference in the horn sound. The performance and propulsion still need to be fixed for this route.

11. brummie

brummie Active Member

Gave it a run after the update and can't say that I noticed any improvements in fps! Thought this was the the big performance improvement update which they said they were (DTG) working on shortly after release but it doesn't appear to be.

12. VictorHugoVS

VictorHugoVS Active Member

Looks like we need a real fix for this DLC. I'll wait for an official patch from DTG that actually fixes the issues with this DLC before buying.

13. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Has the fps issue been fixed?

14. malikrthr

Are there going to be any updates to the LIRR route. I just gave it another go and the fps are abysmal. FPS are literally in the single digits. This is unacceptable. How was this route released with terrible performance. I really like the detail in this route but the fps terrible. There needs to be some serious performance optimizations to bring this route to a playable state. I am just wondering, what in the route is causing the fps to tank.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Cyclone

Funny thing is, when I played it (see my signature), I never had an issue with a 15 FPS, and didn't notice any issues outside of entering Jamaica. The main problem for me was with a lot of trains on the route, which WOULD tank the FPS (and sadly does affect how many services you can use in scenarios). I do not know how train changes might have changed it as I haven't played the route for some time, but if 15 FPS is what you're getting, that's my worst FPS before the update, and only at Jamaica. Away from there, I was in the 20s.

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Has Pennsylvania Station been updated? Sunnyside Yard?

17. Cyclone

Doesn't Sunnyside serve the Amtrak lines?

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Sunnyside serves Amtrak, NJT, and LIRR

19. malikrthr

Is there any update on the performance optimization issue for the LIRR, NY-Hicksville route?

20. Cyclone

It may be a case where one needs to lower quality settings. There is only so much DTG can do. If someone insists on running on Very High with all settings maximized, that will cause the most issues. I run at Medium and can run on an i5, but have to accept 15 FPS around Jamaica. See my channel for how it looks.

21. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

To be clear, it's got nothing to do with DTG.
    They didn't make it, a group of essentially community members did (specifically the guys over on the Northeast Corridor project facebook somthin somthin (sorry i can't recall the group name). Those are the guys that have to (or should, if at all possible) improve the performance.

The 2 or 3 people that actually touch TS classic that are dovetail employees (bc theyve all gone to work with tsw) know zero about improving somthing they didnt build.

It's got to do with the scripting of the m7's themselves and possibly the signaling. I know close to nothing on such technical boopity bops but i know people that do know whats-what, whom have made it fairly clear.

Hopefully, maybe, possibly the group of guys that built it will figure out a way to improve its performance - its an amazing route/map. That being said, if you cant utilize it without it being a slideshow, it means screw all.

Sure you could play TS classic on the first 2 aliasing settings but then it looks terrible, and extremely ancient (yeah to each their own, eye of the beholder and all that...)

Plenty of developers have figured out ways of nice fidelity and decent performance, by that i mean not 9 frames per second.

The fact you've gotta lower all the graphical settings to get lirr to run smooth kinda defeats the purpose eh?

Yeah, a few people claim to get decent performance but this many people cant be wrong with it saying its pretty darn bad, especially those that are quite TS classic savvy.

TLDR

No, its still crap performance

Dtg didn't "make" it and they cant fix it

• Like Like x 2
  22. Cyclone

So the best thing they can is improve the core? I mean, I am sure the problem is the M7 itself, but other than making the core handle it better, what would you suggest for the M7? Not being cynical, genuinely wondering since I am not highly knowledgeable on train creation myself. I also wonder if certain fixes got reverted, so hopefully this can get sorted out as I would love to see the map extended.

BTW, I easily pull 25 or more away from Jamaica, so that is possibly related as well.

23. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

I do wonder if the problems points to the M7 if it is the sim loading in M7 AI that causes the FPS drops. This has happened on other routes as well when spawning in AI that is FPS heavy. The work around to this appears to be using a less intesive version of the same train as the AI which stops the lag. IIRC this was found out on another route and when the AI got swapped for a different one of the same class which was less resource intensive the FPS problem was resolved.

I wonder if the developers made a "basic" model of the M7 for the AI and replaced that rather than using the same M7 as the player and ran scenarios if that would stabalise FPS.

PS i love your live streams on twitch btw :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Still no news about this? One thing I noticed is the interior of the M7 is extremely detailed even on the outside view (key 5). Maybe that has a hit on the fps?

25. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It's not that bad... have you ever played NZ Midland Line?

To answer your question, just do a Quick Drive (Player Train only) with a Kuju Class 37 on LIRR and compare.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2023
  26. Cyclone

I'd imagine DTG is currently focusing on the core changes reported on in December. They want to, I'm sure, see how the M7 performs there.

Frankly, so do I.

27. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

The team are aware of the frame rate issues on LIRR, we are looking at performance as a whole in Train Simulator Classic and look out for updates when we have more.

• Like Like x 4
  28. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

That's great news Jamie, thanks you and the team

• Like Like x 1
  29. Shawmut

Shawmut Member

The real answer isn't to tweak this route further, much less make AI versions of frame rate-eating rolling stock (shades of MSTS!!) but to upgrade the basic engine to something like what ORTS uses. Once they went to the MonoGame format frame rates were no longer an issue even with older computers.

I know DTG has indicated that they are looking into revamping the interface for TSC, but I hope they go further and really revamp the basic engine so that it makes use of modern multi-threaded computing - in essence doing for TSC what ORTS did for MSTS.

30. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

AI versions could work, but as I've seen there's something else with the route. The easternmost part (two tracks) is heavier on FPS than the four tracks sections, which doesn't make very much sense. Even more, when having on camera the full 12 cars composition FPS are better than when looking forward from the cab (this on the two tracks section near Hicksville). So there must be something with the route itself, besides the M7 (which I found to be lighter with FPS than the ones from Hudson line).

PS: The issue with the AI sounding like braking all the time isn't related with FPS but it is a little annoying too.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023