Xbox Is Tsw3 Worth It?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by fizpix, Sep 5, 2022.

1. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

This is for the people who have already bought and played TSW 3. Is it worth it to buy? (In your opinion.)

2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

100% yes

• Like Like x 2
  3. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

I haven't purchased it but I have quite literally just finished a couple of hour's worth of gameplay via a borrowed account.

Initial impressions are surprisingly positive. The adaptive lighting is really nice, snow looks much better (although the snow blowing off the wheels as well as that weird 'whirlwind' effect as another train passes looks horrible), the UI looks tidy (but grey is an awkward colour to see when navigating the options) and it has a general ok overall feel. Oh, and the dynamic weather isn't bad either - although weirdly I did start in sunshine and within the space of a tunnel it became as cloudy has hell, so maybe the process could take a little longer between cycles.

What I don't like: Shadows between the rails and general detail draw distances are terrible - and genuinely spoil everything else. Only an average 45fps (except in tunnels) on Series X as well, so that was a bit of a disappointment.

The routes themselves look ok but both the new ones at first glance look like straight A>B journeys with nothing much to do in between. The SEHS extension also looks like a non-stop journey so there may be an issue with interest levels after a few trips.
    *note: I only tried the German route + SEHS*

The other big problem might be the lack of any save option but I honestly don't know.

This is entirely based on 2 hours of gameplay but what I will say is why not just wait 24 hours, give it a try on Gamepass and draw your own conclusions. For me personally there's no reason to buy it til my gamepass sub ends in November (where I will probably pick it up on sale) but that's no reason as to why you shouldn't consider a purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  4. darylb88

darylb88 Member

I have played it the last few days and really enjoyed it so far. Feels like an upgrade on TSW 2 on weather and lighting which has meant fps is a little lower - but nothing drastic on my Xbox Series S. It all depends on what plaform you are on though. Heard gen 8 consoles are struggling a little bit. If you do have gamepass try it there first. Just an FYI the 10% discount ends tomorrow morning if you wanted to pick up the deluxe on discount to get Spirit for steam for extra £5.

5. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

It’s great to have Quick Resume back! :D

6. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

No because the longer routes are unplayable due to the lack of a save game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

One word… Yes

8. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Seeing a fair amount of positive feedback, I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet (Xbox user with already SOS)

still debating whether to pick it up in the morning when it releases, must admit that I am tempted to but I do worry on the reliability for issues to be fixed

9. darylb88

darylb88 Member

If you have gamepass you could try the standard edition there

10. drdavewatford

drdavewatford Active Member

There's no hurry. I'll leave some time for the inevitable teething troubles to be ironed out and wait for confirmation that all the DLC works OK before upgrading. I've also still got a bunch of TSW2 routes that I haven't played yet so no rush for me. I don't actually have a sense at this point of whether there'll be much difference between TSW2 and TSW3 beyond the dynamic weather and lighting and of course the new routes.

I'll let you guys be the guinea pigs and wait for you to let me know when it's time to jump in!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Im totally in the same boat but encouragingly have seen a few of the well known names on here say it is worth it. I'll see how release goes I think! Be on the safe side!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

My opinion? Not yet.

Performance on Series X is questionable. The new effects add a lot of overhead and it can't keep up.
    The lighting is... iffy. Very washed out looking for many hours of the day. Lots of lighting glitches all over the place, to be expected with a total overhaul of the system, will take time to fix. Probably won't get fixed in the launch maps, but will instead likely improve with future maps as they get better at it.
    Options like save being missing mean things like Cajon Pass timetable runs are a hard no for now.
    Toggling options like motion blur means you will need a keyboard hooked up until they fix the menus.

TSW2 is just the better option for FPS stability, for consistent lighting, for being able to save your runs and have it work most of the time, and if that's your sort of thing, for going for long term goals like the achievements.

• Like Like x 4
  13. pinxtonpaws

I just need to add that anyone looking to buy this for gen8 should 100% avoid doing so. I know compromises had to be made to get it working on XB1 but that level of compromise is incredibly harsh. Scenery textures seem to have been completely stripped away, framerates on Cajon Pass frequently drifted into single figures (X1X) when motion blur was enabled but the most worrying thing was the game completely froze on numerous occasions and twice shut down my console because it simply couldn't cope with whatever process was occuring at the time.. I would have liked to try all routes on X1X but alas, I had netball practice....erm, I mean my not-so-accommodating friend wanted his account back so tomorrow it will have to be.

I guess it now explains why XB1 / XSX versions of TSW3 weren't shown on any of the preview streams. Hopefully though there's a day one patch to address performance issues on Xbox consoles.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dustysideboard

Dustysideboard Member

I’m waiting for the issues to be sorted out over the coming months and then buying, I’ve got enough to play already on various DLC to keep me going for a while

• Like Like x 2
  15. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

Weird question when you can test it out for yourself literally for "free" if you own gamepass.

16. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

For me it’s worth it. Playing on Series X mostly and have spent a few hours on each of the German and UK routes.

Experience so far has been great, minimal stutters, really nice lighting compared to TSW2. For me the upgrade to SEH was worth the price.

The other thing J really like is the PZB helper on the HUD. I really struggled with PZB before, but after only a couple of hours I can now mostly play without the hud and get it right.

17. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely worth buying.

18. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

100% Yes!

19. fl991r

fl991r Member

I've only played one service so far on GamePass (series X) and I'd say it's definitely a big improvement over TSW2. The new lighting to me at least is a big step forward and I'm already beginning to wish that it could somehow be implemented on the routes I already own. Not to give DTG any further ideas for ways to charge us, but I would definitely pay a few bucks per route if they could be upgraded the way SEHS was (not necessarily extended, just upgraded to the latest lighting). That said, I haven't even installed any of the "legacy" routes yet (it's nearly 3:00 a.m.!) so I don't know how they even look in the game.

Would I spend full price on it? I think I would, actually. On GamePass it's an absolute no brainer, of course.

As a side note: I had pre-installed it but still got huge updates on SEHS (1.7 GB) and Cajon Pass (nearly 7 GB) upon first start up. Maybe day one patches?

20. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Undecided, just doing a scenario on SEHS and I'm not blown away (feel quite "meh"). Early day's, my opinion may change in time.

21. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Many of us don't have GP however.

• Like Like x 2
  22. sivn#4246

sivn#4246 Member

Yep, it’s very good.

23. gobig#1834

gobig#1834 Member

I agree 100%. Performance and lighting glitches are a mess with this on my XSX.

• Like Like x 1
  24. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

100% this!

25. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I would recommend the purchase of TSW3
    My Quick review of time spent over 2 days

disclaimer
    (I can only speak for Xbox Series X purchase, I am also yet to find time to try out Cajon/German freight and 375/465–updated additional content)

I have so far put vast majority of time into ICE services on Kassel wurzburg and 395 services on SEHS extended

background
    Been on Xbox and owning SOS meant i had to wait for Sep 6th for standard, in that window between early access (2nd) and the 6th, I heard rather mixed feedback. On the 7th I think it was, I decided to test it out and purchased standard edition (after reviewing this thread), so far I’ve throughly been enjoying every bit so far

Some of the large amount of positive I have found
    Particularly enjoying what dynamic weather brings to a journey from start to finish, yet to try out snow but I don’t foresee any issue and I like how there is now a depth to it.

really a big fan of the 395 even more since the line to Ashford and the updated timetable.

The ICE1 cab is great to be in for the longer journey, the timetable is also very nicely set out to allow for time to set up locos on routes and provides time to get to and take a brake at stations

new Ui on menu is also a nice step up from previous TSW titles

improvement area
    I have noticed a few issues, nothing too major, my biggest issue I would put down being PIS (onboard mostly) issues. But overall the bugs I’ve noticed are far less than what I initially worried would be there.

Overall
    I would be lying if I said I haven’t been smiling at my TV at the features and services I’ve been trying out, credit where credit is due, and this time DTG get the praise for delivering on an Enjoyable level of gameplay

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  26. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I would wait if I were you. I got it with Game Pass. I would wait to see where this game is going. The more you play this game the more you notice the game is not polished like we have come to expect from DTG. With any other developer I would think issues will be resolved but with DTG I really want to see a few new routes and see if they introduce new issues and how issues are dealt with.

TSW3 is a huge improvement over TSW2 but there is stuff in there that I don't understand why it's happening and that is worrisome. The best addition to the game is the training centre and performance is just poor, which is weird considered the size of the map. Some more time developing would have given a better game. Time that wasn't there it seems and so the same story continues.

• Like Like x 2
  27. pinxtonpaws

In theory training centre is a good idea but in practice it isn't that great. I know it's geared towards new users but you can't really escape the feeling that it's been designed by people who clearly know their TSW stuff but don't quite know how to communicate on the same level as those they are trying to teach so they've just throw them into a sandbox to "mess about" in the hope that they either stumble across a solution or do the youtube thing.

One slight comparison was during a tutorial I recently did (at Harlem I think) whilst picking up some achievements. AFB (the thing you can move to set a train's max speed) or whatever it's called rings a bell....but anyhows somewhere during the tutorial I went wrong but instead of saying "hey, you're a complete buffoon" the dialogue carried on like I was doing ok and then started waffling on even more about white marker boards in front of me (which weren't actually anywhere close because I'd stopped in the wrong spot) and many, many other things. My point is, irrespective of the fact that the whole thing descended into total chaos, instead of lowering itself to 'new user' standard, the tutorial instead threw all the information at me at once in the hope that I would eventually grasp the situation through trial and error or toddle off somewhere else to fathom things out.

A similar scenario to that of training centre - only this time with it's with a multitude of overlooked things that the boffins can't explain in a language that us lesser folk can understand.

You shouldn't be saying "the auxiliary power needs starting in order to get this train moving"
    You should be saying "hold that big yellow button (with a big red arrow pointing to yellow button) for 5 sec and the engine will start".

• Like Like x 1
  28. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

For me it's a no so far. I don't like the new UI at all. I'd still take 2020s UI given the choice. As for the new lighting, it's a big no. The whole game has gone far too bright and washed out now compared to be too dark. I play on PS5 and Series S and it's washed out and too bright on both. The new passengers look silly with silly hair colour and clothes combinations.

I've gone back to TSW2 on PS5 and Playing on Series with Gamepads.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

Yes

30. max1313

max1313 Active Member

31. max1313

max1313 Active Member

But agree I prefer the old UI. The color it depends on the time of day. Sometimes it’s too bright but other times is just looks fantastic. The night light looks great. This is on SEHS since it the route I had played the most. I can’t comment on the Freight route Cajun since I haven’t even play it once.American freight is not my cup of tea. I love passengers service.