Stuttering Mess On Playstation 5

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dudders, Sep 10, 2022.

1. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Decided to buy train sim world 3 today on playstation 5. Only downloaded the SEHS route. First 5 minutes of play it was ultra smooth was really excited but then as I came to the first station it started stuttering. Stopped at the station to have a look around and it was a total stutter every where. Anyway loaded passengers left the station and basically was a total choppy drive to the next station. What is going on dtg i hope this is going to be optimized how did you let this out. I have train sim world 2 and that is so much better I'm very disappointed i have read so many reviews on here saying that overall its a smooth experience well its not. I have only downloaded this route what's it going to be like with lots of routes. Is anyone else experiencing this messy release on playstation 5

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. james.caton

james.caton Member

I've been running Kassel-Würzburg and that's also very choppy, Cajon Pass is smooth until you are at Barstow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Can't speak about Cajon Pass as I didn't buy it on Playstation (It does stutter on XBOX though). But I've been playing Kassel Würzburg and South Eastern Highspeed all afternoon on PS5 with barely a stutter. Only stutters I've really noticed were on Munich Augsburg and they weren't that bad, I wouldn't call it a stuttering mess. The playstation has barely even got warm either. No heavy fan usage or anything.

4. james.caton

james.caton Member

I've just had a run on the SEHS and its mostly smooth for me, it's just at Ashford where the frame rate drops a bit. But yes Kassel-Würzburg is a choppy mess for me on the PS5, through the whole route.

5. dudders

Well we both have the same machine so I don't understand why it's so choppy. Sometimes it's ultra smooth for about 10 mins then it just starts playing horrible

6. dudders

I know it's early days I'm hopeful for improvements so I'm going back to train sim world 2 where everything is a lot smoother for me. Oh and everything looks over exposed on a sunny sunny day thanks for your reply guys

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

If it starts off smooth and then starts stuttering after 10 minutes, it sounds like your PS5 is thermal throttling. Are you noticing the fans coming on a lot? Mine stays pretty cool and plays pretty smoothly.

8. kobo

kobo Active Member

i've been playing TSW3 on my PS5 and it's been a smooth experience. I don't have my game on the console storage though, I put it on my M.2 SSD that i installed into the expansion slot. I have not compared the performance between the two hard drives, as that would take ages to transfer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dudders

Everything is running cool and normal

10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Bakerloo Line was very choppy for me today on PS5, but KWG has been, in the most part, nice and smooth. Haven’t really played SEHS or Cajon just yet.

11. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

What rubbish.

12. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

The only bad piece of stuttering I had on the PS5 was at Wurzburg the other day when I had 9 (including mine) trains in the station (two of which were moving). But this was as the session was just starting. SO i think it was just because every train was starting to move ( like it does on london Brighton). Anyhow it was about 1 hour and 45 minutes and 30 seconds into the video if you want to watch and the link below doesn't work.

Later in the run we picked up and ran between 40 & 60fps.
    the only real problem I have had on SEHS was at Ashford and the fps dropped a bit buts its not been a "stuttering mess". I also seem to sense that TSW3 and the PS5 does struggle somewhat on any route if I am using the onboard streaming software. But that's something I will look more into over the next few weeks.

Hentis

13. leewood83

leewood83 Member

Same get a big drop returning to Ashford International for about 500 yards approaching the platform. But on whole it's fairly steady SEHS for me any drops tend to be on the extended parts rather than the original route.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  14. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Here’s some general tips I follow to keep the PS5 running optimally… not sure if it will help you but worth a shot:

1. Turn it all the way off and back on at least once a week (not just standby/sleep mode).

2. Turn it on in safe mode and rebuild the database every few months:
    https://weakwifisolutions.com/what-happens-if-you-rebuild-your-ps4-ps5-database/

FWIW TSW3 is choppy at times on my PS5. But not terrible. TSW2 had stutters sometimes too. I see complaints about performance on basically every platform so I think to some extent it’s just a janky game. Especially newer routes with busy timetables and piles of passengers. I ran one of the Dartford services with the class 465 on the new part of the route and it was pretty low fps. I did my database rebuild and am currently running a 375 service on the old part of the route and it seems fine (knock on wood).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

Also, when downloading the PS5 content it will also download the PS4 content as well so, make sure in the download manager to delete the PS4 content before it downloads.

Did I mention "download" enough times?

16. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

No stuttering for me - did the TGV runs on SEHS (great fun btw) and no noticeable drop in frame rate. A few other scenarios on the two new European routes and no issues

17. slappa

slappa New Member

I've been mostly playing on the Bakerloo line and do find some stuttering but only once you leave the tunnels.

18. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Over the last couple of days I have had some major stuttering where the frame rate has dropped from 60fps down to between 25 - 30 fpfs. This is due to the Ukraine liveried class 395 being around my locale. It seems as though it needs to be looked at. I have tow othe class 395 liveries (both Train sim Adams) and they are both ok, and dont provide any problems. Just the Love to Ukraine livery.
    This is since TSW3 and did not affect the PS4 versions of TSW 2.

Hentis

19. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

Have had a pretty smooth experience all round with TSW3 on PS5.

Not sure how, with the same console, everyone is experiencing differing results with regard to FPS?

I turn the PS5 off every day and never leave it on standby.

I also ensured that when downloading routes for TSW3 only the PS5 versions of those routes installed as it queued the PS4 and PS5 versions.

Edit: Not sure if this is a factor, but before installing TSW3 I uninstalled everything relating to TSW2.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  20. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

After playing for a bit longer I have some more observations…

One area where I seem to get bad FPS and can replicate it is on 465 services from Dartford to Faversham… for whatever reason FPS seem low particularly between say Stone Crossing and Gravesend. Which is odd because there’s not a whole lot going on there. Other than the bridge over the other line you’re mostly just in a trench with grass on both sides.

I did a high speed run on Kassel Wurzburg with Ice3 and FPS seemed mostly good. You did see an occasional stutter every few minutes as you’re flying down the line at 250kph which was noticeable but not a consistent low FPS. FPS did get low upon arriving at Wurzburg but there was also lots of traffic at the station (3 ICE including mine along with a Dosto at the platforms, and lots of freight, a Talent 2, a 612, etc sitting at adjacent tracks). I also did the sunrise freight run on that route and found it to have good FPS (although in a slower train stutters aren’t as noticeable and it didn’t pass much AI traffic).

TSW2 content seems mostly butter smooth. For example another 250kph run on Koln-Aachen had barely a stutter and perfect FPS (this route has basically 0 passengers on platforms and trains which is probably why it runs so well). It’s as good or better than TSW2 content on TSW2. Slowdowns do show up in the areas where it seems there’s no way around it on any platform (ie spawn into London Victoria at 15:45 and you will have low FPS).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  21. SubwayRailfanner

SubwayRailfanner Well-Known Member

Am experiencing this alot on the older routes from TSW 2. Everytime am approaching a oncoming Train it stutters so much and my Framerate drops like crazy. Am experiencing this mostly on Harlem.

• Like Like x 2
  22. leewood83

leewood83 Member

I'd agree with pretty much all of that. London Victoria gets pretty shoddy FPS for me since release on TSW 2 and remains on TSW3 removing the southeastern layer seems to help slightly but not by much.