Thunder Storm | Tweaks, Perhaps

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Sep 9, 2022.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The bolts of lightning are too close, especially in the case of fast trains catching up to the horizon "too fast". This 'sprite' is sometimes in a cabin or inside the station. I'm not complaining, just suggesting a few gentle tweaks :)

Overall, super cool and atmospheric! BR o7

• Like Like x 9
  2. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

I agree, this could do with beeing pushed out abit further from the player. I also found if you use the 8 camera as high as it will go, the lightning bolt also follows you up there :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

The lightning bolts look great if they're distant. I was out in a thunderstorm turning a Jubilee at Lime Street station yesterday and the lightning bolts were appearing in the confines of the Lime Street cutting! It wasn't very convincing without the brilliant flash and loud explosion that would have occurred if a strike was that close. But in open country it looks much better.

• Like Like x 3
  4. glendathu

glendathu Member

I agree, the lightning bolts don't look realistic most of the time. I would be glad to switch the bolts off and only have the reflection effect instead. This looks great !

• Like Like x 1
  5. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Lightning will always strike the tallest object around, in no way what so ever will it ever strike the ground and pass through OHLE or strike a pavement next to a tall building, both which I witnessed on RRO. I'd say it needed more than tweaking personally.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

IMHO I also think it is much much overdone. Visually, as well as behaviorally. Having lightning strikes every 15 seconds, for an hour-long drive, every 4th or 5th services is simply TOO much. Not to mention several times of those occurrences I had a lightning almost in-cab and once it directly hit a passenger on platform. This is like a child showing his new toy - look what I got, you need to see this! and totally killing realism in the process.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I agree. For a dev it is tempting to exaggerate a new feature you are really proud of, but don't do it. I miss the thunder sounds or is it me? I would like to see them added as well.

• Like Like x 3
  8. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Agree here about the lightning being too close, looks totally unrealistic. If they updated thunderstorms, would like to see cloud-to-cloud and sheet lightning implemented too. Nevertheless, I'm really enjoy thunderstorms now in the game overall.

• Like Like x 2
  9. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Not related directly to lightning but is to dynamic weather.

Other improvements needed.

Clouds should hug mountain tops.
    Dynamic weather on city routes such as Harlem should never see more than 1 change of weather in a run and this itself such be a rarity.
    Routes like NTP where we are going under a range of hills in a long tunnel, we should often see different weather each side of the tunnel and a none change of weather whilst not a rarity it should be the exception rather than the rule here.

Heavy cloud cover in a valley should result in fog/mist and drizzle at the top of the hill.

When we see light snow fall in the UK and perhaps Southern USA as soon as it stops snowing we should see snow melt firstly on tarmac and concrete services before melting on grassy or earth surfaces.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I remember going to Leeds once from Manchester, back in the 70s probably, and it was a fine day when the train went into Standedge tunnel and snowing at Marsden when we came out. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Posted during the EA period, the lightning looks more like a demented Van Der Graaf generator than reality. Also most lightning tends to be of the sheet variety not forked. And in terms of incidence we have had a grand total of one thunderstorm so far this year in Swindon, so the RNG should not be triggering that often.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

All lightning is fork. Sheet lightning is fork lightning that passes through clouds and is unseen, but I do agree that the lightning in TSW3 needs less ground strikes and more of the just flashy stuff. Also would be nice if every lightning wasn't accompanied by the same 3 flashes as is more the case in TSW3. ( Potentially enducing fits in anyone susceptible to light strobe seizures ?)

• Like Like x 1
  13. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

But there should be someone at the company to say "aren't we overdoing the thunder a bit?" but there clearly wasn't as they all went thunderstruck as I find thunder all over TSW3, from the branding to over the top in-game thunder effects that only miss some halloween decoration along the rail tracks.

• Like Like x 1