Is Tsw 3 Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by sinnere, Sep 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

It seems like the German and UK add-ons are high speed with very few stops along the way. Not trying to throw salt, I just personally find this boring as you're pretty much just watching the scenery go by with little to do along the way. I prefer making stops every few miles or so.

I'll pass on the Cajon Pass as well because I know the physics are far from what they should be for heavy American freight.

• Like Like x 2
  2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I think you’ve answered your own question there. We’ve all got our reasons for buying or not buying it. Your’s seem to have guided you to not buying it. Others will like the things you don’t so would consider it worth buying. For me, it’s the lack of a save game that’s kept my credit card in its wallet so far.

• Like Like x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

SEHS is mixed hspeed and commuter

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

If you already have TSW2 then I wouldn't bother. It's no different graphically and as the exact same bugs
    • Class 66 as no rain on windscreen when it's raining
    • station lighting doesn't come on at the correct time so in winter you pull into a pitch black station at 16:00
    • all the locos have been listed in the UI so you can't tell which version of a loco your driving. I have 3 class 66's all EWS
    • Unreal crashes when you exit the game
    • The dynamic weather is ok but this soon gets tedious on your 20th thunderstorm
    • The training centre is pointless (IMO). it doesn't really train you to do anything
    • the old routes look washed out graphically and so does SEHS in the daytime
    • all the passengers get off your train at the first stop
    • passengers spawn points broken
    • a real bug bare of mine, Tree branches in the cab. SEHS
    these are just my observations after a couple of hours playing

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  5. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I cannot see the point of issuing a new game, surely they could have fixed TSW2 and made an upgrade with the new features and then sold both Cajon Pass and Kassel for £24.99 each and charged £9.99 for SEHS extension. Would they have made as much money that is the question? Issue a new game is what they did and I would imagine TSW4 is under wraps for release in 2024 or maybe they will call it TSW2024?

Personally I like it, a better UI and the dynamic weather is brilliant also walking on foot is quicker with the arrow key and slower with the shift which is the reverse of TSW2

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  6. 5cip

5cip Active Member

i think TSW is a whole process and im happy to have it and if you have a passion for trains then you will be happy
    you have to make your own oppinion but i think tsw 3 is a step in the right direction
    some negatives reviews and expierience doesnt make the whole game bad because there is always a solution to everything and so for me its everytime i play fun because there a mods which makes this game even better.

• Like Like x 2
  7. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Personally its a resounding yes TSW3 is worth it and even if we discount SEHS, both Cajon & SKW offers something not seen in TSW before.

Cajon Pass offers the chance to run heavy US freight at 50+mph for over 30 miles along amazingly well done scenery.
    SKW offers proper high speed services over ridiculous distances in 2 very different high speed trains. If you get bored of those then its time to get into the freight locos and be prepared to be pulled over and over taken.

The dynamic weather means no 2 runs are ever the same.

• Like Like x 2
  8. If you like driving trains and get bored of the same old content then yea it's worth buying.

9. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Best tsw2 comment I've seen all day, new glasses time?

upload_2022-9-9_22-56-13.gif

• Like Like x 12
  10. Bubbles loves trains.

11. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

That's a new option in the settings. I've reverted it back to shift being run as it was in TSW2.

12. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Ok i take that back there is a slight difference. here are 2 pictures the 1st one is TSW2 taken at 7:00am on the same month and same weather setting as the 2nd image, which is TSW3 all graphic settings are at highest. it's not as ground braking as some would make you believe. Your right it is time for new glasses just not the "Rose" tinted ones you seem to be wearing
    TSW2a.jpg TSW3.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  13. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I put some new ones on, these are how i identify, satire and sarcasm :D:D

upload_2022-9-10_7-25-52.gif

• Like Like x 4
  14. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I say wait a few months and see if DTG can fix the many problems this time and grab it during a sale

• Like Like x 4
  15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

After ~50 hours of playing the game, my answer to your question is: yes.
    Think of it as 2.5 routes at a very good price, even if you are not convinced by the rest of the content. BR o7

• Like Like x 2
  16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I would say not at the moment or at least wait for a sale.

TSW3 increasingly looks to have been rushed out to meet a deadline. The new lighting, at least on the new and refreshed routes, looks awful. Shadows are a mess. Many old route specific bugs (sudden SPADs on SoS) are still present. And of course no working save game unless you use the UUU workaround.

As it is I do feel I wasted £40.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  17. breblimator

breblimator Guest

remastered SPG vs remastered SEHS = I choose SEHS
    SKA vs SKW = I choose SKA
    BKL vs Cajon Pass = I choose Cajon, for sure!
    TSW 2 vs TSW 3 = I like TSW 3 debut more

The rest of the DLCs are the same for both games.

If you were happy with TSW 2 purchase, you will be happy this time too. The new lighting is just a matter of taste, you have to judge yourself. BR o7

• Like Like x 2
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Better examples would be dusk & dawn comparisons. There the difference is huge. BR o7

19. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

dusk & dawn were absolutely broken and terrible in TSW2. Would love to see a comparison like with the above screenshots :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. breblimator

breblimator Guest

21. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

1st image TSW2
    2nd Image TSW3
    July, light clouds, 4:00am both pics
    any later and I would lose the red sky which i am assuming is what we are talking about
    Untitled2.jpg Untitled.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yeah, TSW 3 is more "spectacular" because of the more colored image. The sky is not so boring and not so static via dynamic weather.

My TSW 2 shoots (a few .ini / ReShade etc tweaks, maybe, don't remember)
    PS Boston Sprinter is some kind of custom itself & looking good!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  23. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

DTG, I know you generally tend to disregard peoples' criticisms but could you please pay particular attention to the blue bit regarding adaptive lighting on OldVern's comment/s because although you might think otherwise, the whole brightness thing is real issue on XBox.
    Even though I have my TV gamma on it's darkest setting the combination of the adaptive change into brightness on top of the glaring midday sunshine is just way to extreme - to the point where I'm having to resort to ditching dynamic weather on the new routes and resorting to custom (heavy) clouds so I'm not squinting through the excessive brightness when trying to focus on approaching details. It's not headache inducing or anything but it's incredibly heavy on the eyes.

We don't have fancy files to tweak on consoles....we get what we're given, so just for once why not spare a thought for those who aren't blessed with spidey-vision. By the way, that black&white distance thumbnail is totally useless on a sunny day. You either can't see it because it blends into the background or it's just way too small & blurry to read when you can see it. Beats the hell out of me why the one from TSW2020 can't be reintroduced - or at the very least offered as an alternative to what we already have.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

And here from TSW 3 what is called the NEW lighting vs TSW 2, how it impacts the environment

[​IMG]

In TSW 2 this scene could be "very similar" and very flat.
    So yes, this is nuance, these changes, but the difference is gigantic, especially during the game, on the move. At least on PC. BR o7

• Like Like x 2
  25. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I don't have the new German or US route but i think the skill sets to the people who created those to the ones who updated SEHS is stark

• Like Like x 2
  26. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Thanks. But I suppose this is the UK? Where would it be this bright and sunny at 04:00 AM? Even in the summer...day/night cycle still seems to be brutally messed up in TSW3. Actually the TSW2 shot looks more realistic here

• Like Like x 2
  27. redrev1917

London BST sunrise in June is 4:40am, we know that the game cant cope with daylight saving so sunrise in the game is 3:40am. TSW3 images look reasonable for a bright summers dawn IMO.

28. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, 4:50 AM sounds more resonable, so its messed up by one hour. I think this should be an easy fix.

• Like Like x 1
  29. redrev1917

Youd think wouldnt you, yet its either a really really low priority or far more complex then we envisage given its been an issue in TSW since day 1.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I had a quick go on the new German route yesterday after buying TSW3 on CD keys and I'm afraid it was an absolute stutter fest, I turned it off in the end as it was totally unplayable. If my PC was a slug then fair enough but it isn't, I also played it without any ini tweaks, I'm hoping the stutters improve on my 2nd run as hopefully the route would of been cached after the first run but I'm not holding out much hope.

• Like Like x 5
  31. 5cip

5cip Active Member

all routes stutters on the first run due to shader cache then on the second run its better
    i have my shader cache on unlimited but i dont see difference between this and default

• Like Like x 1
  32. breblimator

breblimator Guest

For sure the new sky (clouds <3) is worth a few $
    Graphics settings at ~ medium vs GTX1050 :(:|

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  33. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Should there not be much more grass? this looks like desert.
    But sky is nice

• Like Like x 2
  34. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

External view - very nice.
    But switch to the cab and it immediately looks washed out.
    Trains aren't meant to be driven from a following helicopter! :)

• Like Like x 1
  35. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I mean how they look, fully 3-dimensional :)
    Yep, the textures are some kind of boring, but the overall feel is nice.
    In my opinion, this is the best downhill in TSW to date.
    Hard to be on speed all the time with a heavy consist.

36. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

The answer to your original question is yes.
    Tsw3 is worth getting.
    Loads faster, runs smoother and looks better on my machine.
    Weather effects a bonus.

Haven't run the German route yet as no real interest. but the other two are well worth the money.
    SEHS is greatly improved graphically and gameplay wise.
    Cajon great scenery.
    Best way to enjoy is to sit on the cab roof staring around with the sound turned up.

37. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

TSW2 is going to become abandonware it seems, so if you want to keep playing new routes etc you’re going to need 3 eventually.

TSW2 routes seem basically the same in both games. New routes look significantly better and any new route from this point out will only come to 3 as I understand. TSW2 routes in 3 also benefit from dynamic weather which is pretty neat (I didn’t care at first but now that I’ve used it I like it a lot).

Even already 3 is getting priority for patches and updates (ie the latest patch and all the Pres Crew updates came out on 3 without even a concrete date for when they will be on 2).

As for your characterization of the routes, SEHS isn’t like that at all. The Javelin runs at high speed (and only partially on the entire route) but you also have the 375 and 465 that are basic commuter trains and even some freight.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Despite all of the various issues that players are finding in TSW3, the bottom line is that, if you want to buy the next route release, you have no choice but to buy the new core game at some point. If not right now, then when the next dlc roll out occurs. And you're unlikely to get a sale price before then.

Some of the new features, like the weather, eye adaptation and lighting are somewhat unfinished, but for 2.5 new routes, a new skybox, and an improved UI, the price is not unreasonable.

• Like Like x 2
  39. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty easy to decide if you should buy it.

TSW3 is TSW2, with all its pros and cons (bugs) plus new lighting, new skybox (volumetric clouds) and dynamic weather.

So if you fancy these new features or any new route in particular, go ahaed and buy it.

• Like Like x 2
  40. blazingsoup

blazingsoup Member

Definitely not worth it if you're getting it through Epic Store currently...I got the Deluxe version and I'm missing 2 out of 4 of my TSW3 routes, and 3 of my legacy routes. Seems like Dovetail was in such a hurry to rush it out, that they didn't properly coordinate with Epic to allow licensing to transfer over for the bundles properly.

• Like Like x 2
  41. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

It's definitely worth it if you like TSW and intend on buying new DLC going forward. It's the future of the game as TSW2 is obsolete at this point, and i'd be surprised if it gets more than one final update with the remaining preservation crew release.

I got TSW3 on Steam and Series X and have no regrets- i think it's made major steps forward in terms of lighting, longer routes/extensions, and dynamic weather is really neat and does actually affect the gameplay. I think it's priced fairly for what you get- obviously it's a better value for new players who don't already own SEHS/Class 465/SoS.

If you're burned-out on TSW, then I'd suggest waiting for a sale, or for more enticing DLC to be released, or just wait until your personal TSW bugbear has been resolved in a later patch. Quite a few of the same old bugs and issues remain, and the save feature has been removed until they can get it working properly, so if that's a deal-breaker for you be aware.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've decided I'll buy TSW 3 as a couple here have mentioned, future routes will need the core game anyway.

Silly question but the TSW 2 routes I have now, are they playable on TSW 3? If so, are they aesthetically enhanced as well?

• Like Like x 1
  43. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Playable + dynamic weather

• Like Like x 1
  44. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

On medium settings? Maybe my knowledge is outdated but distant grass is pretty demanding.

45. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

As someone whose primary area of interest is North American freight stuff, TSW3 was worth it for Cajon Pass alone (IMO it's the best addon they've ever done for that category.) I didn't have Spirit of Steam yet either, so I bought the 'deluxe' version that comes with Cajon Pass, SoS, and Southeastern High Speed and I've been getting my money's worth just between SoS and Cajon Pass.

That being said, if you already had SoS and/or don't care for Cajon Pass/freight stuff... I really don't know if I'd say it's worth it. If the old TSW2 routes were updated with the new sky system (or at least were promised to be in the pipeline) I'd be more inclined to recommend it. As it is, the TSW2 routes in TSW3 are just about indistinguishable from playing them in TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  46. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

I've wasted 40 pounds should have waited i should have learned by now poor performance across all systems i hope dtg read all these comments i bet they don't

• Like Like x 5
  47. blazingsoup

blazingsoup Member

Performance seems inconsistent for the same place in a route at different times. On Southeastern High Speed, for example, I noticed that some of the same areas which have smooth frames, will sometimes randomly drop sharply at other times. I'm not sure if maybe this has something due the passenger traffic being displayed. Granted, I play maxed out at 1440p with a 3060 Ti...but I didn't notice this issue with the original game.

It's weird, because overall, the game for me runs fairly smoothly most of the time, and there's even less of the stutters which characterized TSW2, so I'm not sure what to think.

• Like Like x 1
  48. shanesrenaski13

shanesrenaski13 New Member

That is 100% patently false. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  49. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

obviously hasn't read all the posts especially the ones with comparison screen shots

• Like Like x 2
  50. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Best just watch a variety of streams and make you own decision.
    Some would complain even if Dovetail gave it away for free...

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1