Wuppertal Suspension Railway (wuppertaler Schwebebahn)

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by NotAgain, Sep 29, 2018.

1. NotAgain

NotAgain Member

[​IMG]

I'm sure a number of you have heard of the Wuppertal Suspension Railway, a 117-year-old, 13.3km monorail system operating in the German city of Wuppertal, and following the course of the River Wupper for a significant portion of its length.

The sheer beauty of some parts of the route in good weather, along with the fantastic novelty of a hanging-car monorail would provide something totally new for Train Simulator, which, while it's a game we all enjoy, has little else than conventional railways (the only exception being the Shanghai Maglev, which I'm led to believe isn't up to much).

Also, as an amateur route builder, I know I'd love to be able to vary the urban rapid transit systems I have a habit of constructing. While Light Metro systems are all well and good, they get repetitive after the first dozen.

Some technical details:

Maximum track speed: 60km/h

Number of Stations: 20

Current Rolling Stock:

GTW 72:
    [​IMG]

GTW 15:
    [​IMG]

I think I can speak for the community when I say that this would be a whole new experience of the game for us, and would certainly make an entertaining change.

As far as I can tell, the only previous attempt at something like this in TS (the Shanghai Maglev DLC) didn't fall flat on its face because of the concept, but because there was no entertainment value. From the steam reviews it would appear that allyou did was press a button to make the maglev go, and the rest was automated. With Wuppertal Monorail, you do really have to drive the trains, and there's an actual challenge involved, and skill.

Also, DTG, I'm talking directly to you now.

We all know you love DLCs and squeezing that extra bit of money out of us, so here's something for you:

[​IMG]

The Kaiserwagen; the car that Emperor Wilhelm II rode in himself, and is still used to this day on scheduled excursion runs and can be chartered for special events. If ths was done correctly and supplied with four or five scenarios for it, I could see myself paying £12 or so for it.

Thoughts, anyone?

• Like Like x 3
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You spend your £12.00, drive from one end to the other and drive back - what else is there to do?

• Like Like x 1
  3. NotAgain

NotAgain Member

Use the stuff to build a more varied metro system on your own route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So DTG should spend lots of time and money on a route that might not sell just so YOU can have something to create your own system?
    Go buy the Monorail and see how limited that is and see if it's a good idea :D :D

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. NotAgain

NotAgain Member

What's with you and spitting on ideas and variety in this game just because it doesn't fit your perspective of it?

Nearly every thread I've seen you on has been you going after ideas that you don't like, surrounded by people either loving it or at least giving constructive criticism (and no, saying "Go buy the Monorail and see how limited that is and see if it's a good idea :D :D" does not count as constructive criticism). The only exception to that is a single thread with one of your ideas, where people were being perfectly civilised and offering you little ideas to make your proposal better. Any reason you refuse to be like that?

Just because a route is a nice simple end-to-end run doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. Scenarios don't have to be a hundred and one instructions about assembling a consist of freight cars. Personally I love being able to sit back and enjoy a scenario without worrying about everything. If you don't like an idea, you don't have to engage with it. You are one person, and TS has hundreds of thousands, if not more downloads. Your view does not necessarily represent anyone else.

Would you like to offer me some constructive criticism?

Or are you going to continue being snarky?

• Like Like x 3
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

People who buy a new route they tend to look at the included assets and stock. To see what they could do with that stock.
    For example the ICE 407 has been announced and will come with scenarios for Frankfurt to Karlsruhe but it does not stop you running that train on other German Routes with OHLE. I just gave the RailJet a run over the LGV Avignon - Marseille route - not right but that's the beauty of this game.

When you have a line with a limited amount of rolling stock and route potential then the playability of the route is limited.

Just Trains released the Frankfurt U-Bahn in 2016 and whilst it has a much greater amount of stock and route mileage than the Wuppertal Line the number of scenarios are limited.
    On Rail-Sim.de where a large amount of German Scenarios can be found this route has just 3 in the last two years.
    By comparison the Frankfurt - Karlsruhe line which was released on the 6th September already has 11 Scenarios.

I like you also like to site back and enjoy a run thru the countryside but if the route starts at point A, stops at a number of intermediate locations before the terminus that would after a few runs get boring - like the Maglev route.

If this route was released then what would you be able to do apart from drive from one end to another?

I Personally do not see the Wuppertal Schwebebahn being successful due to the limited amount of Scenario potential and the inability to use the stock from the route on another line.

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  7. NotAgain

NotAgain Member

Thank you for the constructive criticism, Peter. My proposal about other routes was partially aimed at creating at least one other route for the stock to be using, and perhaps some further amusing stock. Wuppertal isn't the only place with a suspension railway, and I was hoping to re-create some other lines, like the Chiba Urban Monorail network from Japan, as well as building a true network in a fictional setting to put on the Steam Workshop.

I understand your concerns about the line becoming boring, like the maglev, but from what I can glean from the Steam reviews, people's main problem was that there was no driving, just pressing the 'go' button, and that there were only two stations. The Wuppertal line has 20 different stations over 13.3km of line, gradients to navigate, a multi-track storage depot and varying speed limits, all things that the Maglev largely lacked.

Also, thanks for this, it's been the single most polite and amusing arguement I've ever had online.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Audiogasm

Audiogasm New Member

I personally love the idea, actually it was me googling "Wuppertal Railway train simulator 2021" that brought me to this thread! Can't believe nobody has done it yet, and it is 4 years later! It is a famous railway!

• Like Like x 1