Xbox Navigating The Controls With Sticks

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by antwerpcentral, Sep 12, 2022.

1. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Since I first played TSW until now I have always found it difficult to navigate all the buttons and levers in the cockpit with the sticks of my controller. It's manageable in most cockpits but when you start using the computer on German trains it becomes a tricky job. Throttle and brakes is easy as they are big objects but the smaller the object becomes like the buttons on computers it becomes really frustrating.

Isn't there a better way to navigate all the buttons? Snap to object or something like that?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

There is actually a way to snap to particular panels on the dashboard, using a keyboard. it zooms in to have that panel fill the screen and you can flick every switch there with ease. Trying to recall what it was to do so... someone help me out here?

Would be handy if DTG added a controller mapping option allowing combos of several buttons to be mapped to keyboard shortcuts.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

I know that on the chatpad, you can press the 0 key to bring up all the camera controls that holding down the Right Stick using Classic controls would usually give you, and from there, you get the various panel views, fuse box views, and head out left/right etc, does that help any?

4. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

They should rework the controler input on make it easier to work with knobs and stuff, and not add keyboard shortcuts to circumvent the issues on the controler input for consoles.
    A controler is the natural input for consoles not a keyboard.

5. bljohansson#4171

bljohansson#4171 Active Member

I had this wonderful dream where I had access to all commands and the ability to freely bind them to the controller. I was even able to save different setups for different trains.

6. antwerpcentral

I only use a controller. I need solutions for controller only. I play in the couch so having a keyboard to play games is a no go.

7. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

Well, other games have a lot more mapping options for controlers. Like Shift (DTG added this also meanwhile), Press & Hold, double tap.
    It adds complexity though. (MS Flight Simulator or Elite Dangerous are just examples).

Not sure if this would be a option for TSW as well, or if its just not possible to implement at all.
    If you have a Elite Controler, you have a few more mapping options to shuffle around the default mapping, and can also define stick sensitivity in conjunction with the setting menu, as you like. I have a profile where I lowered the right stick sensitivity a lot for pressing buttons. It makes it much easier to hit smal stuff like circuit breakers or MFD buttons.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  8. antwerpcentral

Something like that. The Y button on the Xbox controller is underused in TSW. It should have more functions than just getting in and out of your seat. Y could give multiple options to the D-Pad so it can be used for more than opening the doors or reverser.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Princess Entrapta

Yeah, Elite:Dangerous does this excellently, with y+direction combinations, x+direction combinations, etc

10. bdobronz1968

bdobronz1968 Active Member

In my opinion the stick sensitivity in TSW3 is much better than in TSW2. I‘ve set the sensitivity to 2 and now I‘m able to setup things like AFB in the ICE3 via the train's displays without getting mad. Looking around is a little slow though, but I can accept this compared to the nearly unplayable sensitivity in TSW2 with lowest possible setting (1).

11. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

What would be handy is a second sensitivity option, one for general use, and one for the zoomed in view to make it nice and slow

• Like Like x 1
  12. antwerpcentral

Something like that because the lower sensitivity is good to navigate buttons but it's so slow for camera movement

13. Princess Entrapta

basically the settings most unreal engine games have for aiming down sights :D

• Like Like x 3
  14. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

Somehow sprinting down the platforms with a BFG sounds very appealing

• Like Like x 1
  15. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

If you use the default (non-immersive) controller setup then there is no ideal single setting for internal+external cameras. I use setting '2' which results in normal external rotation but makes internal navigation painfully slow....and anything over '2' just makes the external camera way too twitchy.

This is the '5' setting - i'm quite comfortable with this when navigating the internals (and it's probably of a similar speed to that of TSW2)...but is totally useless when used externally.
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/164794041

The speeds just seem out of sync with one another

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022