No Saves Or Checkpoints!!!!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ctz#1456, Sep 12, 2022.

1. ctz#1456

ctz#1456 New Member

Thanks a lot, Dovetail. Just failed a scenario after putting in 1.5 hours because the red light was 2m farther than the stop target. And because there were no checkpoint saves or manual saves, it was a complete waste of time. TSW 3 is essentially the same game as TSW 2 so why no saves? Thanks a lot!

• Like Like x 10
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

The reason save game has been disabled is because the feature was unstable, even in TSW2.
    Saving a game would more often than not result in red signals and trains not moving along the line resulting in gridlock.

DTG are working on ways to make the feature stable again so that it can be put back into the game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ctz#1456

ctz#1456 New Member

It worked perfectly fine for me in TSW 2.

• Like Like x 5
  4. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

I've had exactly two problems with the save game in over 10,000 miles. I've saved myself at least 15 hours of time and a great deal of frustration by using it.

I completely understand the OP's frustration. It would piss me off enough to join here to vent too. It should never have been removed.

• Like Like x 11
  5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I had and have no problems with save game in TSW2.
    According to DTG, it works successfully about 75% of the time.
    Many new players must be surprised and dismayed over the absence of save game in TSW3.

• Like Like x 3
  6. nepclassof84

In my personal experience the percentage is much higher.

7. Crosstie

For me too, but I'm just quoting the " official " line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ctz#1456

ctz#1456 New Member

I would rather have a 75% chance of saving my progress than a 0% chance. For me, it was almost 100%. Maybe not years ago, but it worked fine for me the past year or so. Like I said earlier, TSW3 is basically the same game as TSW2, so there's little excuse for removing it.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but staying a fan of this game is becoming very difficult. Buying essentially the same game over and over again. Buying overpriced DLC with bugs that are never fixed. I'm getting to the breaking point. Apologies for the rant, but it's getting ridiculous.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  9. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

It is extremely necessary that the save functionality is available in TSW3 and working, but in the impossibility of working perfectly, that it at least be available, because with many routes with a long way and time to go, sometimes we end up facing a SPAL at the end of a long route and having to completely redo it is very difficult, but a small stretch to complete would help a lot.

Please reconsider re-enabling the save function, and keep working to improve it, as I believe that some like me have around 10/30min to play and sometimes have to resort to PS4 sleep mode, and that in an eventual power outage loses a good progress of the executed path.

• Like Like x 2
  10. nepclassof84

I haven't bought TSW3 yet mostly because of your exact frustration. Knowing there was no save made it a matter of time before I'd get frustrated by the game. I don't want that because I love the game so much. I bought TSW2 in December 2021 and share your more recent (positive) experience.

• Like Like x 2
  11. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

I don't know if the OP is playing on PC, but if you are, download Universal Unreal Unlocker. You can then use the currently hidden save game:

1) Launch Universal Unreal Unlocker
    2) Start TSW3
    3) Go back to your desktop while the game is running and select "Inject DLL" in the UUU client
    4) Go back to the game and, if it's enabled properly, when you press the key directly above the tab key on your keyboard, you should get a slim command prompt bar along the bottom of the screen. While you're playing, type in the following to save or load your game:

ts2.ui.SaveGame
    ts2.ui.LoadSaveGame

And I think it's ts2.ui.DeleteSaveGame to do what it says on the tin.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. March Hare

On that note, though, I know some people said they never had a problem with save, or rarely at all. Well, save never worked successfully for me when I first bought TSW2, but it did somehow improve when I returned to it a couple of months ago. Having said that, using the UUU for the first time the other day, it did trigger the game-ending red signal bug, which still peed me off because I still wasted my time in the long run. So I'm glad they are currently working to fix save (acknowledged by Matt multiple times), and I hope it comes back officially in a working state sooner than later.

• Like Like x 2
  13. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

I barely had any problems with the save function. DTG could have left it in the game while working on a solution. And since it apparently has to be done route per route, it might take a long time before the whole game has a save function again. So, DTG should reactivate the save function now and in the current state for all routes. Even if it is not perfect, at least it can be used by some players.

• Like Like x 2
  14. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I really hope DTG and, without being personal, Matt P in particular are paying attention to all these threads about the missing save game. It’s not like they advertise in the sales blurb that, unlike previous versions, there is no save until further notice.

There is no shame in admitting they called this one wrong and putting the save back.

UUU provides a workaround for PC users but it is not infallible (the console doesn’t always appear) and of no use to anyone on XBox or PS.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

Well said… and your text is no rant- all of this seems spot-on to me! As far as the save function is concerned- I’d also take a save function that works ‘most’ of the time over having no save at all. It just makes the most sense, and I suspect most players here would agree with that.

• Like Like x 3
  16. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

I mean you couldn’t make it up could you. DTG release a so called new version of TSW with longer routes but don’t bother to make sure it has a vital 100% working save feature before release. Then some bright spark decides that even if the save feature was working 75% of the time in TSW2 it should be taken away completely in TSW3 until a 100% fix is found?

Listen none of us really like constantly bashing DTG but it’s either that or you just do the alternative and fall about laughing. Trouble is wasting hours of your time doing a run only for it not to be completed because of a bug or something more important in your life happens which means you just have to stop playing whatever and are then faced having to start all over again next time just isn’t funny.

• Like Like x 4
  17. nepclassof84

I have not, nor will not bash DTG here. I love their game. I'm appreciative that rail fans make it. Am I being vocal about the save feature not being included in the game? Yes I am. However, that is my one and only gripe about anything TSW related.

18. March Hare

To be honest, I would rewind and apply this comment to the inception of Train Sim World as a franchise: DTG release a game with long routes, with a save feature, and don't bother to ensure it works correctly – then don't bother to patch it shortly after release, then don't even acknowledge the bug reports relating to it for 6 or so years.

I heard about Train Sim World with TSW2, and I tried it thinking it's a professional product, made by a professional development team. No, because a professional developer doesn't let a broken core feature continue to be broken for years and ignore it, and let fans believe it's okay for something to work only some of the time.

Then of course it's not only this that's broken for years, and there are many promises made that never materialise.

But, to be fair, since I joined this forum with the sole purpose of being very vocal about it, and now Matt Peddlesden is Executive Producer, it seems there has been a turnaround. We're finally seeing what appears to be true dedication to finally getting this fixed, then reinstated. I want to believe that, which is why I decided to purchase TSW3, to demonstrate my faith in their word. But if it's twice bitten...

Now, I've said this before somewhere else, but if the development team try to convince Matt that it's too hard or impossible to fix, they need to be ignored and new, experienced coders need to be sought, because it can't be either of those things. It will be solvable.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ctz#1456

ctz#1456 New Member

Thanks for this! Works great. A bit of a chore but better than no option at all.

• Like Like x 1
  20. March Hare

Definitely.

21. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Yesterday, after noticing that I was about to run out of switching timetable services on Cajon, I decided to take on a moderately long run. As I approached the final destination, my usual ineptitude in brake handling led me to run a couple of feet past the marked stopping point. WHAM!!!!! The monitor went dark except for a dreadful message declaring that I had run past the playable space. This is ridiculous, in my not-at-all humble opinion, but my actual point is that a working save possibility would have been led to a much more player-friendly experience. I'll thank Matt again for telling us in another thread that this is being worked on, but providing umbrellas, while nice, doesn't strike me as more essential than providing saves.
    While I'm at it, I'll just add that I'm one of the many who never had a problem with saving in any of the previous DTG train simulators.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I told myself, what a beautiful sight, lets do a screenshot... And then the game crashed... 1.5hours down the drain..
    Glad I didn't payed for this.

23. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Brake failures cause 5% of car crashes in the US annually.

By DTG logic, no new car sold should come with brakes until that number is 0%.

• Like Like x 5
  24. Crosstie

I have this worrying feeling that the save game fiasco is going to join the PS5 download limit, the BML rush hour passenger absence and the missing CRR banking com, as just one more year-long stonewalled issue.

• Like Like x 1
  25. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Me too, along with all the other things raised since release.

As I mentioned a little while back, you can bet your boots the dialogue will change to, "Bought as seen", even though to the best of my knowledge DTG never advertised the save game present in the previous iterations was absent from the new version.

They got our money. The refund window has gone, just like the instances you mention.

• Like Like x 2
  26. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

DTG needs to restore the save game option, if possible enable check points for consoles, needs to fix sound problems with electrostars (indicated in this forum , in addition to trains stuck halfway in Dresden Riesa.

27. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

28. nepclassof84

Read todays announcement

SAVE GAME IS COMING BACK!

29. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but if brake failures are known to occur due to an issue with the design rather than just pure random chance, then a recall is issued...

And more than one product has been pulled from sale, or features disabled/removed because they were shown to be not 100% functional.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022