Vre Fredericksburg Line: Washington Dc To Fredericksburg

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by necrailfan#8191, Sep 11, 2022.

1. necrailfan#8191

necrailfan#8191 Member

I really think this would be a great route for TSW and here’s why:

The VRE Fredericksburg line is a passenger/freight route covering the unelectrified lines south of Washington DC. The route passes many small towns, and suburbs outside of the US capitol.

This route would be 47 miles long, which is by no means the longest TSW route, but it has outstanding scenery along the Potomac river for a large portion. And although the Fredericksburg line technically proceeds one stop to spotsylvania, the station only serves VRE trains.

the route itself would include trains that are relatively easy for dovetail to make, as most of them are just different models or paints.
    The route would include the CSX es44ah and sd70mac for freight runs, the Amtrak p42dc and amfleet I cars for the long distance and regional trains, and the VRE mp36ph-3c and nippon-sharyo gallery cars (and the cab car) for the commuter trains. Layers onto the route could include Amtrak acs-64 locomotives from Boston Sprinter pulling trains north of DC and sitting in the Ivy City yard, and the layering of the CSX ac4400cw from Sand Patch Grade.

Finally a cool feature this route would include is the changeover operations at Union station. When southbound Northeast Regional trains arrive into the station, the electric locomotives have to be taken off the train, and a diesel locomotive gets put on for the journey south.

I personally think this route would be a great addition to the train sim world franchise, and I hope others think so too

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

Good suggestion but it needs all of VRE - including the Manassas Line and the Spotsylvania extension for it to be really good. It totals to around 90 miles, and we'll get some extra Amtrak services - namely some regionals, the Cardinal and the Crescent. It would justify even more to make the P42.

3. necrailfan#8191

necrailfan#8191 Member

Judging DTL though, I think adding two separate commuter lines seems like a stretch, so maybe we stick with one shorter route with more rolling stock to start? Also maybe the introduction of viewliners or baggage cars on the Amtrak trains would be nice to represent the long distance trains

4. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

That's effectively what the new SEHS is but now they have the same terminal.