From Tsw2 To Tsw3 Performance Issues

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Arpadiam, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

hello as tittle say, i'm experiencing some performance issues on some routes which i shouldn't have
    for example in cajon pass the service that start at 17:46, Look at the screenshot [​IMG]

as you can see i have small stuttering/bad Frametime and cant get beyond 45fps, i'm not using mods apart of GodMode, CHANGING game visual settings doesnt affect since something is bottlenecking the engine (Not unreal but simugraph ) ( i presume is something in the route that is broken or bad optimized )

i tried the others routes like london communter in TSW2 with this new pc and was near perfect experience with no fps drops or bad frametime then i switched to TSW3 Same route same service and the same problem i'm having in the screenshot on a route that was running awesome in TSW2 now is kinda unplayable in TSW3

If DTG please could check if something is wrong because some of the routes from TSW2 that are in TSW3 are working pretty bad including the new routes, cajon pass and the extension of SHS

My Ex pc, I5 4460 / 1650s / 12gb DDR3
    New Rig : Ryzen 5 3600 / 1650s / 16gb DDR4 3600 / NVE x4 240gb 2.6gb/s )

any other game for example Assetto corsa competizione with the same engine as TSW2/3 runs perfect ( even with 28 AI ), all of my other games runs perfect, only TSW3 and some routes are causing this problem

• Like Like x 2
  2. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

TSW2 was always know to have huge performance problems. TSW3 just continues this tradition with unreasonable high hardware usage and bad FPS but only mediocre graphics.

It seems for some people TSW3 runs a bit better then TSW2 and for some a bit worse.

But overall still unreasonable for such rather mediocre graphics.

It's either Simugraph or some badly optimized assets. Don't expect it to be fixed

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

asked in the TSWC discord and yeah, the result on performance is variable
    well in my case a couple of routes are working worst that in TSW2

so far my experience with TSW3 was none but frustrating in the performance department, it was a big steep down from TSW2

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Try running it under DX12. I’m fairly sure you’ll see an improvement

5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Playing on some of the older TSw2 routes its a slideshow at times yet as i look at it with task manager running my CPU is only 24% utilised and graphics card 49%. What the heck is going on with this.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

yeah there is no effect, is something in the simugraph or with the route itself cuz no matter what i do cant get ride of that "bottleneck" that the engine is doing

yeah same here, something is bottlenecking the game and killing performance

7. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

i wait RTX 4090 PLAY TSW3

8. kirbyfisher69

kirbyfisher69 Member

I for one love the new routes in TSW3. Graphics are awesome and playing TSW2 routes is now a graphical letdown. I have not had any performance issues in TSW3 on any of the routes I have played so far including a couple of my TSW2 routes.
    I play at 4K, Ultra settings. PC specs: Ryzen 5800X, Nvidia RTX3080 Ti 12gb, 32gb memory and play from a NVMe Sabrent Rocket drive.
    I get from 120fps in some places to an average of about 75fps overall.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

It's not really about the FPS but about the terrible TSW stuttering that always happens (some people just ignore it and claim the game does not stutter)

• Like Like x 4
  10. chieflongshin

If I can get 60fps it really is a better experience BUT that stutter annoys the living hell out of me. It's the only game I think ive ever played that does it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

I quitted playing TSW2 and now only tried TSW3 because of the perfomrance issues - stuttering. Also experience same thing on xbox series x. The perfromance is choppy and game is stuttering, that is something i cannot look over because it bothers me too much. It's not hardware related, it's poorly optimized and engine is not used properly. I tried all the possible settings in engine.ini and no luck.

• Like Like x 4
  12. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

TSW was always terrible optimized and sadly it seems this does continue with TSW3... :(

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

I changed my processor from a ryzen 2200G to a 5600G and I was having the same problems as the TSW 2 version. So I went to see a YouTube video of a guy with practically the same settings as mine and running smooth.

In that, I formatted my PC and re-installed TSW3. For my surprise, the performance was much better. In SEHS, before I ran between 30-35 fps, and now I'm getting between 35-50 fps. There are still some lags along the way, but it's definitely much better than before. I have a GeForce GTX 1650, which I intend to change later on.

14. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

even if you have a top of the line pc to bruteforce your 60fps and beyond you still have performance issues, something is wrong with the game

yeah, the thing is in the pass 3 month TSW2 started to run really smooth for me including london communter which i was having around 45 fps ( no stutter ) in the main terminal of that route ( dont remember the name now ), as i said before, same route same train in TSW3 game me horrible stuttering and the game struggles to reach 35fps, something is wrong with TSW3

also did a clean install of w10 ( even W11 ) and the problem is still the same, is the game that something have broken or bad optimized

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  15. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Was monitoring cpu/gpu usage as I was playing through Cajon Pass yesterday to look for bottlenecking of my gpu, and realised that neither gpu nor cpu usage went above 65%. From what I remember, my cpu was at around 49% about 90% of the time. I was disappointed as I was having frame drops in certain areas and stutters, yet my system has so much more to give and the game just doesn't allow it to, for whatever reason.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

bad optimized

• Like Like x 3
  17. It's the way tsw3 utilises the gpu. If I lower the graphics settings my gpu is almost idle! Crank everything up to ultra settings the gpu works harder but not 100%.

Tsw3 my gpu temps are in the 60s.

Tsw2 my gpu temps are in the 70s.

Doesn't make sense.

18. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

From my brief testing over the weekend, the sky setting had a huge impact on GPU workload. On SEHS, The difference between Ultra and High was around 25-30% gpu workload. Other than resolution/scaling, this was the biggest impact I saw.
    I choose not to run flat out, as my PC room is very warm during the summer and the 3060ti gets more than a little warm.
    My I5 12400 never breaks into a sweat running TSW3. I have seen it as low as 35%. It's not exactly a top end chip. (Good VFM though)

The question is, if the GPU is not fully loaded, & The CPU is not fully loaded, & the game is installed on a Nvme drive, the sutters/hitches or whatever you want to call them should not happen.
    As a casual player, I have got used to it, and it is what it is. However, the game would be so much better without the frame drops.
    I don`t care about 100% accuracy, I just want the game to be enjoyable. The framerate issues affect how enjoyable the trains are to drive. Something in the game is causing these glitches, and I dont believe its all to do with the tile loading. If that was the case, you could eliminate it through brute force and power.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Thank god I didn't spend any money on TSW3...

• Like Like x 5
  20. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

"Should not happen"...

But it will.
    There is something fundamentally wrong with TSW 1,2,3.. when it comes to performance.
    And since it is not fixed In the 3rd game it will most likely never be fixed

• Like Like x 2
  21. I realised it was never gonna be fixed when tsw came out with the same stuttering problem as train simulator 2014-present.

• Like Like x 4
  22. JetWash

I’m gonna throw a spanner in the works I think because after initial issues, just like TSW2, I’m now very happy with TSW3’s performance.

My system;

5900x (undervolted which allows it to boost to ~ 5.1ghz)
    2080ti (overclocked - both memory and clockspeed)
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    NvMe2 SSD
    Up-to-date Windows 11
    HAGS and Game Mode are set to off in Windows, and TSW3 set to Maximum performance in Windows graphics settings
    Latest BIOS, Chipset and GPU drivers
    In-game resolution is a custom set 3456x1944 (to reduce the load on the GPU without losing quality - better than messing with the screen percentage in my opinion)
    All settings are Ultra, TAA, Vsync 60fps, DX12

These are my .ini settings and I believe anything else is unnecessary but that’s just my opinion. Some of these .ini setups I’m seeing would absolutely cripple the best PC currently on the market, maybe not at 1080p but certainly at higher resolutions, and most of the commands are either placebo or not needed. I’m not even 100% certain all of this is still necessary to be honest.

[SystemSettings]
    ts2.dbg.JourneyChapterLockOverride=1
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=4
    r.TextureStreaming=0
    r.DFDistanceScale=10
    r.DFFullResolution=1
    r.Streaming.FramesForFullUpdate=1
    r.Streaming.PoolSize=4500
    r.Streaming.MaxTempMemoryAllowed=500
    r.AmbientOcclusion.Method=1
    r.GTAO.FalloffEnd=300
    r.GTAO.SpatialFilter=0
    r.GTAO.NumAngles=2
    r.GTAO.UseNormals=1
    r.GTAO.ThicknessBlend=0
    r.Shadow.DistanceScale=2
    r.ToneMapperFilm=0

After a lot of initial hitching and stuttering when I first ran the routes the experience is now pretty much totally smooth, which is exactly what I found in TSW2. I suspect there’s some sort of shader cache or something happening but have no evidence of that.

FWIW I find the game runs far better under DX12 than it does under DX11, just like TSW2 (surprise surprise!). My GPU sits at 80-100% most of the time and the CPU is what you would expect. It goes without saying you will never see 100% CPU usage because the game, as with pretty much every other game in existence, is only using a couple of cores, particularly in DX11. Those cores will be pretty much maxed out whilst the rest of the CPU is sat idle meaning your stats reporter will only show 20-30% usage. In this case though the CPU is the bottleneck because 100% of what is being used is maxed out.

23. Have you completely ironed out the stuttering?

24. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Why would we need a 1500€ PC and 50 ini tweaks in 2022 to play a game that looks like straight out of 2018?

This should not be a thing, it's just terrible optimized and there is something fundamentally wrong

• Like Like x 8
  25. JetWash

Yep, pretty much entirely, but I honestly believe the vast majority of that has come from simply running the routes. It was exactly the same for me in TSW2. First few runs were terrible then just like that, totally smooth, which is why I’m convinced there is some sort of cacheing going on.

I also think there’s a benefit in not letting your fps run wild. My monitor is 60hz so that is what it is limited to, but if you’re seeing 100 or more fps there’s no way a sim will hit that consistently. It’s worth limiting it to something more sensible. It’s worth trying the result of your refresh rate divided by 2, so for a 144hz monitor limit the fps to 72fps. It will still look as smooth as you like, but I’ll bet you’ll see many less fps spikes.

26. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

well tried DX12 and several ini tweaks from here and from TSC website and nothing NOTHING help with the bad framepace or "engine bottleneck" i'm experiencing

something is broken within the game and bruteforce it is not a solution

i think the worst part is to wait to see it DTG will do something or they just gonna ignore as they ignored other stuff that are essential for TSW in general ***COUG COUG*** FSR 2.1 // DLSS ***COUG COUG***

i sacrifice a lot to get this new pc to avoid issues with the sim which i play the most and in the end i'm back to the beginning on how bad TSW3 runs overall

• Like Like x 1
  27. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

As I have said in many posts on here the performance is not good. Im on playstation 5 and stuttering is everywhere. Stations and trains passing by hurts performance its a emersion killer DTG SORT IT OUT PLEASE its 2022 i have hundreds of games and this is the only one that plays like a dog

• Like Like x 3
  28. I've noticed after running a route it kinda gets smoother yea. But its still got its moments of stuttering. I've not tweaked any ini settings yet.
    I run the game in unlimited fps but with v sync, keeps me on 60fps, tried the frame limiter at 60 and its worse than v sync.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

I would also agree it seems to get better after a few runs.

Ran SEHS last night and chose the same scenario each time. My observations are:

Very first route run = worst performance. Simply trying to turn the camera whilst waiting for my train at Rochester, the game practically hung for a few seconds, then cleared. Noticeable hitching on route.
    2nd run, same scenario and its like a different game. Camera movements are swift, and while there is still some hitching, nowhere near as bad.
    Enabled DX12 and saw the exact same.
    1st run, external camera movements sluggish and route hitching. 2nd run, perfect camera performance and less hitching.

FWIW, I see slightly less GPU usage under DX12. Would have to thoroughly test as difference for me is negligible. YMMV

30. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Havn't they said in one of the preview streams that the performance in the first few runs might be worse as the shaders need to be re-creating or something like that? And that after those are done, performance should be good again.

Don't quote me on that, but I remember hearing something along these lines.

31. chieflongshin

Seems weird as my gaming style is constantly changing routes so then this could mean that I'm always playing a worse representation

32. I just jump on a service in passenger mode, sit in the cab then go and do whatever and leave the game too it.

33. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Most likely it will be ignored since the stuttering and performance issues can't be fixed or at least DTG can't do it

• Like Like x 1
  34. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

did the same with the cajon pass route, did a 30m run the again same service same time did the same run for 30m and was no change the game still have that bottleneck that kllls performance

• Like Like x 1
  35. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

is this doing the exact same service or just using the same route at similar times of day? Is it per train or is it route related or both? So many questions lol

36. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

tried all the timetables and scenarios from cajon pass, and the new extension from SEHS and all have the same problem no matter the time or the weather

and at this point i'm exausted and unable to play in this state TSW3, i wish i could refund it now and get back to TSW2 but is too late now, so I'm not playing anymore till this is fixed and if not fixed no more TSW for me

cant get stressed out with this issue anymore with TSW3, i have invested big time for a new pc and the game runs like crap

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  37. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Performance just seems broken at this point

• Like Like x 1
  38. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Hmmm....

r.TextureStreaming=0​

Completely neutralizes
    r.Streaming.FramesForFullUpdate=1
    r.Streaming.PoolSize=4500
    r.Streaming.MaxTempMemoryAllowed=500
    It turns off texture streaming entirely, so streaming parameters are irrelevant.

39. JetWash

A very fair point :)

I added it because I was seeing the age old texture streaming issues but never removed the other streaming parameters. For me at least they should be gone & I will remove them next time I get chance.

• Like Like x 1
  40. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hey - sorry to hear you're having issues. Can I ask you head here please? There may be something that helps - if not, please contact one of the team and we'll try to help.

41. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

checked the link and my pc is more than healthy, a ticket wont help since is a problem with the game itself

they are a few threads already and most of the ppl on those thread are experiencing the same issue, Please check this https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...ws-and-errors-in-default-configuration.50462/ ( this one is really well explained on what is going on and why is causing the performance issues )

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...ate-fps-on-tsw3-than-their-native-game.58817/ ( and this user is experiencing the exact same issue as me )

anyways thanks for reaching out, cheers

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  42. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

You are 100% correct. The issues are with the game, not your PC. TSW always had bad performance and optimization, especially when compared to the level of graphics you get.

43. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

I've passed this on to people who understand this a lot more than I do for investigation.

44. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

thank you for your time, let's hope is something easy to fix
    cheers

45. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

Hi all.

Does anyone change the settings in the Nvidia Control Panel? If so, would you have any tips to give me to improve the gameplay? I have a GeForce GTX 1650 4gb...

46. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Unreal Engine Shader Compilation Stutter. Happens the first time you encounter anything since the last time you updated the game.
    With how many patches are coming hard and fast for TSW3, don't expect it to smooth out for some time to come.

47. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

So will the performance issues get fixed?

• Like Like x 1
  48. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

I think there are numerous issues at play with regards to the stuttering, and sadly most of them suggest the development team aren't quite skilled enough (unproven, just theory based in educated guesswork). Yes, shader cache will play a part and take time to build the cache files. But Unreal Engine 4 and 5 have native issues with stuttering (which Epic are attempting to fix/alleviate in a UE5 update), but these can indeed be tackled when nativizing and optimising code. On the huge project my brother is currently working on, they have a team monitoring and then fixing UE stutters as they arise.

The other thing is, as my brother suspects, the issues suggest too much load is put on a single core. He suspected that they may rely too much on Unreal Engine blueprints, then I saw evidence of this in their development diary videos, spotting seemingly heavy use of blueprint mode on the team's PC screens... Again, this doesn't prove they aren't nativizing into C++ code, but it could be the case and would explain much that we're seeing. If not already, they need to start nativizing blueprints into optimised C++ that makes use of multi-core functionality, shifting processes onto different cores. I believe (haven't run this past my brother) that UE blueprints pretty much default everything to run on a single core... I'm not entirely sure on that, though.

But the above will depend on their skills, and if the programmers aren't overly skilled/experienced, it would explain a heavy reliance on blueprints (if true).

We've also heard that the big hitches occur when the game is performing garbage collection, but my brother insists that you can hide garbage collection easily – these visible pauses shouldn't be happening – and I trust his word based on his years of experience as a games developer.

If DTG need to talent-hunt more experienced developers, skilled in nativizing code and multi-core optimisation, I suggest they do this. Or prove us wrong by the existing team doing some serious optimisation work, because of course I am cautious about suggesting they aren't up to par – I don't want to insult anyone at all – but the evidence on screen is flashing big red signals... With the new SEHS route, I put all settings on low and I could still see stutters.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  49. btom

btom Member

why are you guys trying to run TSW3 on your PC using a Nvidia GTX 1650 GPU for? Didn't you people read the recommended specs needed for TSW3?

50. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

To be fair, a 1650 far surpasses the minimum of a 750 ti (I think), and DTG have said that TSW3 should run as well as TSW2 did, and that the updated specs were designed to support 4K@60fps on Ultra settings (and to keep up with modern hardware). I think the GPU should be fine

• Like Like x 2