Is Tsw 3 Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by sinnere, Sep 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

Obviously has not purchased the game or needs to go to an opticians.
    Some areas have massively improved visuals. To say the graphics are the same is just silly.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

That's customisable and always has been, not a new thing.

Cheers

3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

They've switched the default around, TSW2 default was walk, TSW3 default is run.

Although really walking is running and running is Olympic 100mtr pace.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well TSW3 graphics quality is an improvement over TSW2, but the difference is marginal rather than " massive ". The difference is only in the lighting and the addition of some visual effects whose values are still being debated on the forums.

DTG have not claimed that the graphics are better. To suggest that they are is a subjective opinion and might be something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Saying that someone needs his/her sight corrected or that they are " silly ", just because his/her subjective observation doesn't match yours is rather self-centered to say the least.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  5. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I thought you said at the bottom of your bio that you would only purchase TSW3 if they did one or more of:
    • Reinstate the save game (hasn't happened)
    • Reduce the price of the main game to £30 (hasn't happened)
    • Reduce the price of the starter pack to £20 (hasn't happened)
    Makes me wonder why you purchased? They are too many people on here, not just you by the way, who say 'I'm not buying TSW3 unless...' or 'I'm done with TSW', and then buy it anyway. I can sort of understand those who play on console, they don't have an alternative, but for those on PC they have TS Classic.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Temptation got the better of me... Also being able to save via UUU was a secondary factor.

However apart from a few quick goes since buying TSW3 I've spent more time on Run 8. Ah, the irony!

However I will not be buying any new DLC until the save game is restored and they sort out that godawful adaptive eye lighting.

• Like Like x 2
  7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

So, I kid you not OldVern i saw this post and you was the last response.
    I thought I’ll have a nose as I bet he’s mentioned the save function, you didn’t let me down my good man :D:D.

I hope they update soon with something other than a woolly statement, tel, Jd what you’re looking at, trying etc

8. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

The eye adaption seems to be a major issue. Looks horribly overdone in all streams and YouTube videos

• Like Like x 4
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

In the game it is OK for me. I like it.

• Like Like x 6
  10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think there’s sometimes a blue flash when entering tunnels, not sure it’s made worse by going faster but I do like the effect coming out the tunnels very much

11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This should be tweakeable, like motion blur, possible in the future - depth of field, etc. About taste. Sliders will do the job.

& this has nothing to do with buy or not because this feature, eye adaptation, overall, is about 0,001% of experience, game time.

IRL, bright as hell, not even a sunny day
    And little blueish too :)
    Sic mundus creatus est
    ~ 35:14

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. countcussy

But earlier in the thread, the poster said it was the same as TSW2, which is not true. So his observation is incorrect.
    He clearly does not have the game, and like many individuals on here, another one happy to spout absolute nonsense.
    Maybe I over stepped, but that is because the constant negativity from the keyboard warriors on here, some who do not even own the game, turns some useful, interesting threads into constant DTG bashing.

The lighting is part of the graphics. I.e the images on your screen. In that respect, the graphics have improved in TSW3.
    Is the game perfect? Far from it.
    Have DTG fixed the shadows? No
    Have DTG fixed the stuttering? No
    Have DTG improved the visuals overall on the TSW3 routes? Yes

• Like Like x 4
  13. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

and if you read all the posts you will see i do have the game as i posted comparison pictures between SEHS in TSW2 and TSW3 SEHS. I can not comment on the US or German route as I don't have them but SEHS only

• Like Like x 1
  14. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Very cool. I recognize that route!

I rather like the eye adaptation. It seems to adjust depending on the daylight intensity.

• Like Like x 2
  15. countcussy

In which case, I apologise if I caused offence.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I like it too. It's a major improvement over TSW2.

• Like Like x 3
  17. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

That's because you confuse the human eye with a camera like in your video ;)

DtG did make the same mistake

• Like Like x 3
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is cinematic, true. The question is: it is good or bad?

19. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I think the visual effects, like the eye adaptation, dynamic weather and lightning, are OK in principle but have been overdone, because the developer wants to show how " cool " they are. They both need to be toned down so that they're less " gimmicky ".

The new skybox is the really genuinely valuable visual improvement. I really like it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  20. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Bad since this is supposed to be a simulator and this happens not only during cutscenes

• Like Like x 1
  21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Bad for you, good for me. Like I said many many times - a matter of taste. All you see on the screen is some kind of illusion / cinematic / etc. Like motion blur, depth of field, all this stuff. Games are like this. All games.

The organ of sight is stereoscopic. The illusion displayed on a monitor screen, on a TV set, is not stereoscopic 3D. VR slightly improves the perceptual experience. TSW does not yet have VR support. That's why you get the illusion, like in the movie I'm linked. Your eyes aren't really in this cab.

• Like Like x 1
  22. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

The effect is terrible overdone

• Like Like x 1
  23. breblimator

breblimator Guest

But did you played TSW 3?

overdoned or not, it is just one little part of the game, nothing to worry about that much ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2022
  24. Asyedan

Asyedan Member

One aspect of TSW3 i was unexpectedly impressed with was the scenario planner. The world feels much more alive now. In TSW2 i felt like any routes created with the scenario planner were dead, there were almost no passengers on the stations, no PIS, no clue that there was a train actually in there.

Now i just created some simple scenarios to mess around with it, and i was very pleased to see lots of passengers in the stations (and actually getting into my train), the PIS of both the stations and the trains are working like if they belonged to that route. A M7A showing "Darlington" on its screens, a 465 with "Lime Street" (with the inside screen showing all the intermediate stops!) or some Dostos bound for "ATLANTIC TERMINAL", it is obviously unrealistic, but it makes the scenario feel much more alive and immersive.

• Like Like x 1
  25. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

The scenario planer still only has one month available...in 2022, when this issue was present even years ago ...I wonder why DTG does not touch it... probably another big issue with their code base for TSW

• Like Like x 2
  26. OldVern

One area TSW3 does appear to be scoring for me, as I've probably mentioned in other threads, is that the general changes have somewhat brightened up the legacy routes particularly at nights. Station lighting is brighter, seems to be more ambient spread around building and streetlamp sources and slightly better headlight projection from trains so fitted.

So with the news that the save game is coming back "soon" then I might extend a cautious recommendation to consider making a purchase.

27. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I hope they are working hard on a patch to fix all the issues and bugs

• Like Like x 1
  28. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

If you read the update article, youd know they were working on a number of issues with a patch due next week and more to come in the following weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  29. focalpro1

focalpro1 Member

Few thoughts about tsw3:

Pros

+Runs smoother that tsw2. I can put max graphic settings and get 60FPS. Tsw2 gave me 30FPS on Ultra- settings
    +On livery designer I can now select train by the picture instead of name only
    +Dynamic weather works and I especially like when cloud goes in front of the sun.

Cons

- Shadow draw distance is still poor. Especially on rails.
    - I can see weird light and windy snow in tunnels
    - I can't see daylight amount when scrolling timetable. In tsw2 I can see daylight amount on overlay when selecting service time. If I want to run in dusk now I have just try a time and start game to see is it bright or dark.
    - Snow storm isn't a storm. Max snow precipitation is just light snowfall. Not a storm.
    - No save - I hope this is just something what is forgotten, not conscious effort.
    - Map isn't a map. I can't see station names, roads, lakes, etc.
    - Signal direction on map. If there's red light I must see where is yellow so I can deduce red light's direction.
    - Game ends if red light is passed. It could be that game ends if whole train passes red light or when going on junction after red light. When you really cause danger by passing a light.

• Like Like x 4
  30. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Have you tried the eye adaption mod? It really is worth it!

Personally I think 1a works the best…

https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/m...3-auto-exposure-eye-adaption-compensation-mod

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  31. lorenz

lorenz Member

On the other hand, I find it boring to drive a train that stops every 5 minutes. This is why I believe that the variety present in TSW (intercities services, regional services, freight services) is an excellent mix. There is something for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  32. OldVern

• Like Like x 2
  33. OldVern

Yes just tried a run on SEHS and the Bescot 1A mod is superb. Tones things down into a quite nice real life look.

Question has to be though, if this can easily be done, why haven't intensity choices been incorporated by DTG from the getgo?

• Like Like x 2
  34. JetWash

Really pleased it’s helped out. What would otherwise be an immensely frustrating gameplay experience is made actually quite fun by all the mods that are available. So many of them are correcting really obvious things though that should never have made it into the final release.

• Like Like x 1
  35. OldVern

Once the save game comes back, TSW3 is bedding in nicely. There is still much for DTG to sort out, but being able to play without burning out what's left of my retinas is one of the key factors. Only thing I need to see with the mod is how much difference it makes to the slightly better and brighter nights, especially on the legacy routes but then I guess it could be a case of swapping the mod in and out as necessary.

• Like Like x 2
  36. JetWash

I believe all it does is tone down the extremes of the eye adaption, it doesn’t effect the lighting at all. Driving at night looks just fine from what I’ve seen.

The only issue is that the issues on SEHS are not necessarily apparent on CP or KW as native TSW3 routes. I haven’t really had chance to try them to see how they look. Been too busy playing (and modding) SEHS!

• Like Like x 1