Three Things I Currently Hate About Tsw3

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by bdobronz1968, Sep 12, 2022.

1. bdobronz1968

bdobronz1968 Active Member

Ok, hate might be a little bit too harsh, but let’s say that these three things really annoy me. And to be fair, I like TSW3 in general, it’s a good update to TSW2, all of my DLCs are working pretty well with it and as an Xbox Series S user, I can’t complain about the overall performance, framerates and stability, like other users do.

But what I dislike is:

1. The color of selection in selection boxes
    Maybe it’s an expression of the famous British humor, but using two different shades of gray for the selection boxes is very odd! It’s so hard to recognize what is the current selection and what is unselected, because the behavior learned from other software is, that selected items are highlighted brighter or in a different color. Highlighting a selection in a darker gray is very unusual and leads to misunderstandings and errors in handling.
    Please, DTG, change this! TSW3 already uses a bright yellow as highlight color in some places of the game, why not using this color for the selection boxes? Or this nice reddish orange used in the TSW3 logo – everything is better that gray in gray!

2. The poor drawing distance of shadows
    As far as I understood there is a new lighting engine used for TSW3. My expectations about this had been very high, maybe this is the reason why I’m a little bit disappointed about it. The drawing distance is bad, the shadows pop up rapidly about 200 meters away from the train and it looks odd. This means that it totally destroys the immersion and the feeling of the game for me. TSW2 also had problems with the drawing distances of shadows, especially before the preservation crew did their fantastic job on some DLCs. Maybe they should take a look at it? I’m pretty sure that DTG can improve this issue over the time, but for now the current look annoys me. To prevent this I usually set the weather to “very cloudy”, because the game looks much better than, but that causes other trouble.

3. The much too "dynamic” dynamic weather
    Yup, this is what I mean. Setting the weather to very cloudy might help with the shadows, but than it is nearly impossible to have a dry journey when dynamic weather is enabled.
    In my opinion the influence of the dynamic weather is much too high. It should not change the weather conditions totally on nearly every ride. I’m totally aware that it is very complex to implement such a thing as random weather. But I thing that it could be much more balanced.
    As an example:
    I started a journey from Würzburg to Kassel at 12:20 in September with light cloudy conditions. Half way to Fulda it started to rain. And journey ended in heavy rain at Würzburg. The rain had never stopped in-between. The conditions got worse and worse. Thankfully it doesn’t end in a thunderstorm, like usual (in my experience).
    And this is what I experienced with the dynamic weather in 9 of 10 journeys . I had just a small bunch of journeys with no changing weather or with conditions like change dry to rain and back to dry.
    Don’t get me wrong – I really like the idea of weather changes during a journey. But it would be much more exiting if weather changes would not take place in nearly every ride. And if so, in my opinion the weather should change in small portions, and not from best to worse in just 20 minutes time.

So, these are my thoughts about the things I dislike in the current state of TSW3. Hope this will not offend anyone at DTG. Maybe my suggestions are some kind of helpful. And maybe I’m not alone with my thoughs.

• Like Like x 14
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Pretty good summary, to which I would add the overcooked adaptive eye effect and the withdrawn save game.

• Like Like x 3
  3. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I did not find another suitable topic and decided to write here.
    1. I don't like keyboard layout changes while walking. The "up" key demonstrates an accelerated run. The transition to a normal pace requires pressing the "Shift" key. The original version is better.

2. When walking in the car or in the cabin of some units, the sound of walking on gravel remains. Gotta fix it.

4. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

Poor shadows that appear only 30m from train, pop in scenery, weird track draw distances, constant stuttering -all problems in TSW 1 and still there in TSW 3.

And then there's the poor frame rates ..

• Like Like x 3
  5. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

I don't know about PC, but on Xbox you can go into settings and toggle walking and running.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Yep, as bobbobberdd mentions above, you can just switch this around in Settings. It's always been there, they just swapped the default option from walk to run.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

You find this setting in the 'Accessibility' section of the settings if I'm not mistaken (currently not at home to check). I 've searched a bit for it and found this a non-intuitive location, I'd rather seen it in 'Gameplay' or near the toggle button in 'controls', but it's in there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

To 1.
    A selection not made is called "greyed out" in German. Here it is the other way around. Why do people keep trying to do things completely differently than the whole world knows and appreciates?

I understand disabling a feature because it makes too many bugs. But I don't understand if you deactivate it, when in the end it works most of the time and can be a savior in an emergency. Yes, I am talking about the save function! Why didn't they disable the HUD as well? Nobody needs it either. It's just a feature...

camera collisions. Of course, it is highly immersive when I bang my cam on everything in the exterior views that is also 50m away. It's often just a bang-boom-bang. Why not disable the outside view as well? Or maybe simpler- disable camera collisions for good! Nobody needs it and it's not a feature either.

This affects things that are now "new" in TSW3 or still "legacy". And yes, this is just not good and needs improvement!

Until then, I have to say that I like TSW3 a lot, as well as many new approaches, including the background one. So for me a pretty successful sequel that I see on the right track.

9. roggek

roggek Active Member

Three things I hate about TSW 3 is:

1. The in my opinion, awful DTG Cashgrab with just the dynamic weather and Cajon Pass as a prime feature...
    The game is still running same Unreal engine as in TSW 2...
    TSW 3 should have been discounted for loyal TSW 2 owners! At least yo can play it on GamePass for only the subscription fee, but how for long?

2. The fact that not all preowned DLCs from TSW2 works flawlessly with TSW3,
    Tharandter Rampe as an example, is avaiable to download, but isn't shown up in the game, since I susddenly don't own it...

3. The almost total silence from DTG.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

The dynamic weather thing is definitely a bit much. Currently, toggling between dynamic weather and custom weather on a clear day is basically deciding “do I want rain?” or “do I want the actual weather that I chose?”

• Like Like x 3
  11. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

OP:
    1. Agree
    2. Agree, but It's a massive resource hog. No way this improves without dropping Gen 8 AND upping the PC MINIMUM specs. Neither of which is happening prior to a TSW4.
    3. I think it's fine as-is, but i'd be ok with tweaks to make it more accurate.

12. fl991r

fl991r Member

I actually really like the game, but I have to echo the comments about the selection box colour. A few times now I've sat there staring at the screen waiting for nothing to happen because the "start" button is greyed out. DTG, Please do something to highlight the currently selected box, thanks!