One Hundred Hours Of Tsw3 - A Detailed Review

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Sep 14, 2022.

1. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Due to a bout of covid isolation, Ive racked up virtually 100 hours of TSW3 so far and overall I have to say I am very impressed and havent played any thing else since prerelease for any notable period.

UI
    My first impression of the UI wasnt great and since playing my opinion hasnt changed.
    Firstly, its too light and the highlighted grey to confirm a selection is polar opposite to what (in my mind) is the expected. Not being able to see a single overview of my total progress on any given route is an annoyance also, if I want to check how many journey mode services Ive completed thats 1 screen, a 2nd screen for total timetabled services completed, and if I want to see the total number of medals, collectables and scenarios acheived that means navigating to a 3rd screen. Why cant all this information be found in the overview screen for each route? Afterall the clue is in the name, overview.

Its not just finding your progress which takes the time, litrally everything seems to take more clicks to get where you want to go. For example in TSW2 to continue a journey on any given route it was 2 clicks - first select your route then click continue journey, now its 4 clicks.
    Quick Play - since downloading my DLC, quick play is anything but quick, its 3 mouse clicks to get into the run (thats one more than "continue journey" was in TSW2), and I timed from clicking quick play to duration pop up being displayed at anything between 15 & 18 seconds. The game just hangs like it, it didnt do this prior to my collection being added and was fairly instant.

The New Features
    Eye Adaptation - This might be an unpopular opinion amongest some on the forums, but I love it and really adds to the game.
    Dynamic Weather - First off why isnt this in Journey Mode, a major new feature not applied to a major element of gameplay is a bizarre choice in my book, this has resulted in me not actually having experienced this much so far despite the number of hours played, however knowing that I was going to write a review I have done a few runs and yes whilst not perfect it definately adds to the immersion although Id suggest it was toned down slightly as even after my limited experience of its getting predictable and tedious. It should be the exception that the weather turns significantly, that said I feel thunder storms last too long and there should be a maximum period we get lighting for (something like 10-15 mins) before it reverts back to heavy rain, on the subject of thunder storms this takes us to the next feature.
    Lightning - This is over kill and the lightning strikes happen to frequently and far too close to the trains and seem to ignore the laws of physics. Fork lightning will always strike the highest earthed point and it certainly wont pass through overhead wires to strike the ground or strike the ground at base of trees and ignore highground when the line is running in a cutting. Its so unrealistic and an immersion killer that this evening Ive actually turned it off. The thunder is too quiet also and hard to hear from the cab even in a slow commuter electric train at slow speed.
    Arcing Effects - this I do like especially in tunnels when it lights up the tunnel for a split second and definately adds to the immersion.
    New Sky Box - really really adds to the game although performance hungry so Ive knocked it down to high from Ultra, very high seems to do little to improve performance compared to Ultra by the way.

General Lighting
    On SKW & CJP it looks amazing and I love doing dawn and dusk services so much on these routes, even night lighting is a massive improvement (excluding the dark fog bug which I trust will be resolved for CJP soon).
    On SoS & SEHS on the other hand the lighting just isnt right, its a bit washed out and just doesnt look as good the 2 brand new routes, although I still think its an improvement over TSW2 especially at night but I do think it demonstrates that the effort to upgrade the older routes to the new lighting probably wouldnt be worth it.
    TSW2 Routes - now I know its been said that the lighting hasnt changed on these routes but I do think the core as improved margainly on many of the routes and the head lights in tunnels certainly seem brighter although this could just be a trick of the mind.

Perfomance
    Off the bat I am going to doff my hat to DTG, in those 100 hours I've had zero CTD, zero derailments, zero stuck at red signals and zero broken scenarios. In my book thats a win and straight away an improvement over TSW2, and for me is worthy of note and thanks. General performance for me (Ultra settings (with the exception of Sky Quality) on a QHD 17.6" Laptop with i12700 CPU and a 3070 TI - laptop) is much improved, on the new routes Im seeing little to no stuttering and virtually no freezes with FPS very infrequently dropping below 30fps and usually runing at my capped 60FPS. I am also seeing improvement on TSW2 routes although DRA and BML still cause me issues.

The New Routes

SEHS - Probably my least favourite of the 3, but then I didnt really enjoy in on TSW2 either, for me it was a strange inclusion for TSW3 as a core route. I find its a confused route, its a mix of commuter and supposed high speed (admittedly for the UK it is Highspeed) but when you've done runs in the ICE 1 & ICE 3 at 230km+ for long periods, SEHS is just lacking in the highspeed department, especially with the lack of Eurostar - although I get why it couldnt be included. I have enjoyed the commuter aspect of this route more, but I would much preferred a proper 100% commuter route rather than the compromise that I believe SEHS is. I think so of my lack of enthusiasm for the route is in part due to even though its a UK route, its not one Ive really ever travelled on (other than taking the Eurostar Ive just one domestic service under my belt) and I simply dont have an affintity with. Perhaps if I knew the RL SEHS better Id love it more.

SKW - This is a fun route with some really clever timetabling done to keep things interesting and mixes it up well, it could so easily been one of the those routes where after a dozen or so services it became samey and boring but the team have ensured that this isnt the case, so I doff my hat to those involved. The detailed information by cwf.green on the correct set ups for the freight services really takes driving these freight services to the next level, so a special thanks goes out. Graphically it is superb as well. Only let down for me is the question why sometimes services are limited to 200km/h for no apparent reason.

Cajon Pass - In little over a week, I have spent more time on Cajon then I have in 10 months on Sherman Hill by a considerable margain and about the same as Ive spent on HSC. Really enjoying the challenge of that 3% descent and the relatively new experience (for TSW) of 30miles running at a decent speed on relatively flat terrain is fun and a refreshing change from SPG, HSC & SH. The ES44C4 is orobably the best US Freight loco by a considerably margain, it looks georgous, sounds amazing and handles well, the only let down for me is the lacking of working incab signaling safety systems.

Overall for me its easy to recommend TSW3 to others and has been worth every penny I spent on it, afterall even after 12 days its only cost me 40pence an hour, how is that not value for money??

9/10 and if we can get quick fixes for the LZB speed limit and dark fog on CJP I could push this up to 9.5.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 28
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Yeah, too clunky, too many clicks, too bright, and the choice of grey to highlight selections is baffling.

Arcing is definitely the big win here, very nice.
    My main critique of dynamic weather is that it causes too many performance impeding weather conditions on XSX, such as fog and storms that ruin runs with massive framerate dips.
    The storms definitely seem to need the lightning toned down but the thunder dialled up. I was in a storm the other day and the thunder was shaking the house.

Hard agree on the washed out lighting, at least give us brightness/contrast/gamma sliders to compensate maybe? But then of course, it's going to be a nuisance on routes without washed out lighting.

I've got many complaints about the console performance as Series X needs some SERIOUS optimisation for the dips to 30 and below. I'm sure on a beefy enough PC this is less of an issue.

I've not spent much time on it, but the wait for save to be finished has given me plenty time with SoS on TSW2 since that came with my order of TSW3. So I've had that half of my money's worth, I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

UI

I kind of agree here, I think elements are better like the tiles etc and if I recollect there’s a filter, that will likely need further development as more routes drop. I don’t find it intuitive at the moment though I thinks it’s down to too much time in tsw2 so I’m open minded here.

The multiple trains thing needs sorting, to me it needs something like a “date released” against the train so I can see I’m using the latest release. I am surprised this is another legacy issue unfixed.

Map

To be succinct…we’re five years in and it’s still unfixed…

upload_2022-9-15_6-37-16.gif

performance

I was nervous about this but I’ve managed to introduce some ini tweaks to tailor game and there appears to be no fps hit. Prior to this in vanilla form I think SKL needs some additional optimising as there’s some areas with big frame hits , not sure if it’s the speed you travel at and not able to load quick enough. I like the new sehs and really like that they pulled off their first extension. I hope it paves the way for modular routes and timetables. Love cajon for same reasons above and there’s some good variety in there from what limited I’ve seen. SOS, to me, it’s just a Barron, quiet bag of nails. I just don’t see anything in it as yet. I didn’t before when i refunded at £25 whic in hindsight was a good choice.

I love the new sky and dawn, dusk lighting. A tremendous job here. Love all the layers and recent updates. Routes are now slowly coming to life outside stations. Keep adding npc and dioramas. They make a significant difference. Eye adaption is good too.

When you log on and see you’ve put in over 1500 hrs on tsw2 but you’re only 900 out of 8000 odd services you realise life may not be long enough to complete it so I’ll enjoy it until it’s next annual name change.

Overall pleased but there’s legacy issues here that need putting to bed in the next 6 months so the game goes forward without towing this legacy bug caravan behind it.

We do still need moving diggers too, someone at DTG at least open one construction site.

upload_2022-9-15_6-43-45.gif

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Right to the point. A great summary. The Cajon Pass is in my opinion the best US freight route to date. Only low fps bother me, but my laptop is a relic. Nothing more nothing less. Great review. I am very happy with TSW 3 too.

& I find SEHS very atractive
    & This...
    PS The new UI looks great but it is a little chaotic concept. Generaly, I like it & the music in the menu is superb!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Scenery Wise, that's a negative, there are areas where IMO Sand Patch Grade still outclasses it

• Like Like x 3
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

A fair review but a few things missing - no mention of the save game issue for one. I guess if you’re isolated at home with Covid and haven’t got the wife nagging to grow up and stop playing trains, it’s easier to get a run finished. However for many of us that most definitely remains a key issue.

The lighting is obviously personal taste but the high level of washout from adaptive eye to me remains unacceptable.

I would agree though the legacy routes do look slightly more pleasantly brighter than in TSW2.

Cajon has a very noticeable piece of mountain missing and the car spawners are behaving very oddly.

No mention of SoS which appears to have come across with all its TSW3 bugs intact and in addition some even stranger steam physics.

• Like Like x 2
  7. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

You forgot the lights in the tunnels on TSW3 routes. They are very good! I played London commuter yesterday and those tunnels are really dark. It's weird it took 3 versions to get light in tunnels on the level they are now because it was so obvious. TSW3 really breaks TSW2 routes for me as TSW3 is the standard all routes should be.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Princess Entrapta

Really?

My experience of TSW3 tunnels in SEHS is of constantly brightening glows in the distance getting larger and larger before fading to darkness, and then building up the illumination again. It's like it keeps pulling a fakeout of me approaching the end of the tunnel.

• Like Like x 2
  9. The game is good.

• Like Like x 1
  10. antwerpcentral

You mean the light orbs? That's another issue. I mean the train lights. I guess the orbs will be removed with patches. If they remain it's indeed another facepalm addition to the huge list of issues :D

11. Princess Entrapta

I mean the "light at the end of the tunnel", the ever increasing glow in the middle of the screen that eventually seems like you are about to leave the tunnel, but then it fades to darkness again, because there's another half a mile of tunnel left. This happens several times in every tunnel to me.
    But the old-timey film grain effect with the flickering dots of light can do one, too.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  12. antwerpcentral

I have only one problem with the tunnel entering en exiting effect. It's only visual. The audio doesn't have the same effect. Don't really have a problem with it. Needs some tweaks but I like it.

13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

There is no audio change entering tunnels. Another fail from DTG for still not implementing reverb.

• Like Like x 3
  14. It's strange that. I get reverb thru chatham station but not in the tunnel following it.

15. antwerpcentral

The visual effect accentuates the absence of the audio effect of entering or exiting the tunnel. Never really noticed there was no audio effects for tunnels until TSW3

16. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Poor Wiley - He had no luck whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
  18. It's not a problem for me. Just don't make sense how you get reverb in stations but not in tunnels. No ballast sounds either, one place it does make a difference though is on the bakerloo line.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Princess Entrapta

I'm not talking about that, (although I still think the eye adaptation could do with a speed slider), I'm talking about when it falsely looks like the tunnel exit is coming up while you are moving down it and the bright glow in the distance gets brighter and brighter, but then it goes away and you can see the tunnel properly fading into shadow in the distance again. I get it multiple times on some longer tunnels.

20. antwerpcentral

That's what I call light orbs. They look like giant orbs of light to me

21. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  22. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

That's most likely due to the tile/scenery loading distance issue and yes, I have noticed it too.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

I´m glad that you enjoy it redrev1917 It´s almost therapeutic to find that game that gives you the joy, isn´t it? I felt the same yesterday when I saw the announcement that finally Uncharted for PC has an official launch date and I pre-ordered it immediately. One month to go. :)

I was very hyped for TSW 3 too, mainly during the pre-launch stream and I was sure that I will pre-order the deluxe pack. I even uninstalled TSW 2 cause I thought it was done, the new baby coming in.
    Then, I saw the first preview stream and the hype mountain crashed over me... I don´t want to ruin your post with what I don´t like, I will say that despite some good additions, it´s still not the promised evolution. It´s like with mobile phones, marginal improvements from a version to the next. I will wait more until maybe it grows to what I am expecting it to be.

There is a new train sim/driving game coming in 2-3 months, who knows what that brings...

24. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

Probably trains

• Like Like x 1
  25. Princess Entrapta

Nah, aliens is when you get the "Close encounters of the Third Kind" effect on the javelin in tunnels and light begins strobing down the train XD

• Like Like x 1