Yellow Stands Out, Doesn’t It?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by stujoy, Sep 15, 2022.

1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Nearly every route I’ve had for years is labelled with a bright yellow banner saying NEW and locos I haven’t played yet in TSW3 stand out with a bright yellow banner and the word NEW. Even after playing the routes or locos, they stay labelled as NEW.

Yellow is nice and bright and catches the eye. This is what selected items should look like (not grey) and what’s NEW could be less highlighted as it is getting in the way of seeing what’s actually going on when selecting things on console.

Vibrant and noticeable colour, yellow, don’t you think? It should be used for things that are selected and not get in the way like it currently does on so many things that aren’t selected.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This is also true for the ‘Last played’ highlight which I am constantly thinking is the thing I have selected meaning I always end up selecting the wrong thing which is actually in the muted grey. That’s the power of yellow, use it wisely.

3. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I'd say orange does the job without being quite so aggressive on the eyes. Something like orange on grey would give nice sharp contrast while still being soft enough to make menus bearable to look at.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bdobronz1968

bdobronz1968 Active Member

This is only one of the many weird design decisions obviously made when creating the new user interface.
    Making selection boxes and selected items Gray on Gray is another one.
    For example: Have you ever started a journey by mistake, too, like i did a few times, although you‘ve would have liked to adjust the weather before, but you wasn‘t aware that the start button was already active, because it is always Gray? I think DTG should exchange Gray to Yellow or Orange or to every other color but Gray! And should use Gray for the banner „new“ instead, if they really think that this feature is useful. I totaly agree with you that it isn‘t, but I can live with it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Agree

• Like Like x 1
  6. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

Clearly, a lot of thought went into the presentation of the menu system...

"Hmmm ooh yeah you know what? Let's uh yeah, let's do the exact opposite of every menu system convention and er hmmm, yes.. make every selection greyed out... now how do you like them apples"

DUN DUN DA DUN DUN DUNNN

• Like Like x 1
  7. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I like the overall look and feel of the UI but the colour theme is very questionable. Whoever thought grey was a good choice for the currently selected menu option clearly needs their eyes testing!

• Like Like x 1
  8. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

Coldplay agrees with you

• Like Like x 1
  9. bdobronz1968

bdobronz1968 Active Member

I‘m so glad not to be alone with my opinion. I‘m a professional Software UI/UX Designer (not for gaming), maybe I‘m sometimes to critical, but in this case I think not.

• Like Like x 1