Global Afb Bug? Db Br 101 And 187

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Bertil Persson, Sep 10, 2022.

1. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

The AFB makes the brakes apply and the throttle go to zero. When AFB is deactivated the brakes release, mostly. Sometimes you just get stuck. Could be more DB BR 1xx locos with the same problem. Not the TSW 3 developed locos or Railpool as far as I know.

I have sent a support ticket.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  2. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Interesting, if you pull the AFB to 0, it applies breaks automatically. Could you maybe post a picture? Maybe it gives a clue. I have not seen this behaviour yet.

3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I've seen this in the 187. When AFB is on and your speed is below about 15km/h the brakes are at 3.3 even when stationary and throttle engaged.
    You need to apply full throttle to get moving.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Good tip. I had this problem as well with the BR187 and thought the AFB was broken, but I still think this is a bug.

5. redrev1917

Oh without doubt it's a bug.

6. Bertil Persson

Thanks! I’ll make a try.

7. Bertil Persson

The situation is: Brakes zero, throttle zero no AFB. Increase throttle and you’re away. Put the AFB on at speed. Throttle power goes to zero. Stand still with no brakes, put on AFB. Brakes apply. I’ve only tried the 101 and 187,so far. Railpool 185 seems to work though (no LZB implemented there), and the upgraded freight engine which comes with Kassel - Wurtsburg also works. Forgot the model number.

8. redrev1917

Yes this is when you need to engage full throttle, you will drag the brakes up to around 15km when they will then release.
    Before engaging AFB whilst moving you should throttle off completely, set AFB at maximum and then engage AFB. Once engaged set your AFB at the desired speed then apply throttle again. - I havent been able to do this in the BR187 however and believe this is a bug, but it should work in the 185 & 182.

9. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

I think I still don’t understand the problem. The way you explain it and how I understood it is absolutely normal.

If you switch AFB on while driving, you need to have the throttle at 0. If you don’t do it, the loco will do it for you.

If you switch AFB on while stationary, the AFB will brake for you, until you put in enough power that the loco will not move backwards and breaks free. That means that you will need a bit power to get the brakes released, while AFB is on.

Both is true for the real br101. I have no idea about the 187, but the 185 should work the same irl.

Edit: one addition for the AFB braking. This is happening when speed drops below 0,5kph.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Like OpenMinded stated, what you describe is not a bug on the BR101. I would recommend this thread that describes all of the new changes to the BR101: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw3-br101-changelist.58759/

One thing not mentioned in that thread (because It's always been there), that OpenMinded touched on is that the AFB will apply direct brake (loco only) if the speed is below 0.5 km/h and the applied tractive effort is below 10 kN (total).

• Like Like x 1
  11. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Just a point of clarification for the BR101: It is not necessary to set the AFB target speed to max before you enable it, you can set it to whatever you want (0-200) but if you don't want the AFB to brake you should set it to at or above your current speed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Bertil Persson

Thanks! I tried and it works on the BR 187. So I’ll try the BR 101 and it will work there too, if I read you all right. Looks like all the issues I had are solved.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bertil Persson

But… The wipers are out of order on the BR 101!!!

14. Bertil Persson

Now the BR 187 seems to work, with the AFB as mentioned above. Also there is sound on the safety systems. I don't know how the engines sound in real but it is a different sound here. The malfunction of the BR 101 windshield wipers apears but not often.

15. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The traction motor sounds on the 187 are actually a pain to listen to. If you actually listen to irl 187 sounds on youtube, you will notice how poorly skyhook did in doing the sound. What is even worse is that I read that the person who recorded the sounds and sent exact instructions to skyhook on how to do the sounds which they ended up not following properly. And they promised a sound update, but it's already been a pretty long time without any update