Can’t Open Utilities App

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by tehangrybird345, Sep 16, 2022.

1. tehangrybird345

tehangrybird345 Well-Known Member

Whenever I try to open it, it always asks me if I want the app to make changes to my device. I click yes but it doesn’t actually load the software and makes me do it again in a loop. I also tried giving it administrator permissions but that doesn’t do anything. Eventually I made it so it doesn’t give me those notifications, but that didn’t make it load either. It worked perfectly fine before so I have no idea what went wrong, does anyone have a fix.

2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Which OS are you running?

I've read a thread on the steam forums, there's obviously a localization issue. If your Windows language is English it should work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tehangrybird345

Windows 11 and it is in English

4. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Doh! ;)

What do you need it for if I may ask? If it's only for installing .rwps that can be done with 7zip too. Just open it and copy the Asset, Content, and Manuals folder to RailWorks.
    If you need it for localization of scenarios, a temporary workaround is to set up a Win7 VM for example...

As I'm running the good old Windows 7 and it works for me, I'm of no help here... Best to submit a ticket to DTG support.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2022
  5. tehangrybird345

I’m trying to install a route enhancement mod, specifically PZB for the Ruhr Sieg line, not sure if I can do it via 7zip but I’ll give it a try when I get the chance

6. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

This was a "fairly common" experience way back. The best solution - find a friend with a working copy and delete your file utilities.exe and copy the working file into the railworks folder. Always keep a copy of a working copy.
    Torf
    The advantage of using utilities.exe is that you safely UNINSTALL any files that you have installed using it. Very useful in the early days when some of the rwp files were not up to standard.

• Like Like x 1
  7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I was wondering about the uninstall feature - I always do stuff manually to have full control. I don't see any backup file or log, so I take it it just deletes the files found in the according .pi file. So if a file was overwritten it will not be restored by Utilities.exe. Dismissed ;)

I only use it to create .rwp packages or localization .lan files for scenarios.

8. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Torf
    Spot on! To open utulities.exe "faster" I used to archive all the older ".pi" files - Ut.exe reads all installed rwp (rpk) files when you press "REFRESH" - I never knew if this really worked!!
    pH

9. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

And for creating rwps I use a separate install containing only the needed assets, otherwise it'll take ages to refresh.