Modern North American Freight Rolling Stock: What We Have, And What We Still Need.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blacknred81, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, now with SPG, SH, HSC, and other NA routes out now, we have a good hand of modern North American Rolling stock for freight trains, however, there are still a bit of gaps of what's seen, so making this as a list of common modern rolling stock that could come with future routes.

What we currently have.....

Autorack
    Bethgon Coal Hopper
    Boxcars (3)

-50ft Boxcar (2)
    -60ft Hi-Cube
    Bulkhead Flatcar
    Centerbeam Flat Car
    Mill Gondola
    Tank Car (30,500gal UN1267)

2-Bay Ballast/ Aggregate Hopper
    3-Bay Coal Hopper
    3-Bay Covered Hopper (2)

-5201 Covered Hopper
    -Ribbed Side Covered Hopper
    Well Car (2)
    -53ft MAXI IV 3-Unit Well Car
    -56ft Well Car
    64ft Reefer
    85ft Flat Car (Trash & Trailers)

Possible new cars for future routes or loco DLCs

Steel Coil Car
    I'm still surprised the CSX steel coil car hasn't made a reappearance since TSW2020. However with many different variations of Coil Cars that exist, maybe we will get a new model in the future.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2-Bay Covered Hopper
    Commonly used for glass, sand, or cement, 2 bay covered hoppers would be a nice addition to TSW2's rolling stock fleet.
    [​IMG]

Tank Car (Other sizes)
    So far we have 1 tank car, a 30k gallon tank car with a UN Marking of 1267 (Crude Oil) It would be nice to get some different size of cars and loads for tank cars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

50ft Hi-Cube Boxcar
    With 2 regular 50ft cars, and 1 60ft boxcar already done, might as well add the 50ft high cube to TSW2, its pretty much the last modern boxcar missing.
    [​IMG]

GSC Flat Cars
    Flatcars are still commonly used today, usually carrying pipe or steel loads, also seen moving agricultural equipment in certain areas as well....Kind of a missed opportunity with HSC's flat car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spine Cars
    The car for the modern TOFC service, comes in 3-Unit and 5-Unit variations. Can also carry containers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Woodchip/High Side Gondolas
    [​IMG]

Special Cars

So while these are only used in certain areas or trains, they could be nice to add if they are correct for the route.

This would include....

Heavy Duty Flat Cars
    [​IMG]

DODX Flat Cars
    [​IMG]

Nuclear Waste Cask Car
    [​IMG]

Skybox & Aircraft Cars
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

How about a special freight wagon with aeroplane fuselage.
    BNSF Does this out of Seattle area using ES44AC SD70ACE SD70MAC

3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I would love to see the airplane fuselage cars on a BNSF Stevens Pass route. Here are a couple of other suggestions.
    First: the UP Rocket Booster Train; UP hauls NASA solid rocket boosters from northern Utah eastwards. The consist could be added as a DLC to TSW2's Sherman Hill Route, along with a UP C45AH, C45ACCTE, or SD70AH-T4. For an example, see Lionel's 2022 Vol. 1 Catalog. They are making the rocket booster train in O-Scale (so awesome, by the way).
    Second: for the new NS Horseshoe Curve route, I'd like to see a Roadrailer consist DLC. The locos for this train could be an NS ET44AC, ES40DC, C40-9/C40-9W, SD60E, AC44C6M, or SD70ACU.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DJtrainman

DJtrainman New Member

I don’t see any center beam cars on the train sim world 2 version

5. Blacknred81

Peninsula Corridor and Oakville Subdivision.

6. notch 8 nate

notch 8 nate New Member

I would really love it if they added stronger “run in” with the coil cars and auto racks. They have longer draw bars are require the engineer to be extra attentive when running a train with them. If there’s a train that’s going to come apart on your it’s going to be an auto rack.

7. Blartthaniel42

Blartthaniel42 Well-Known Member

I think it would be pretty cool to see some articulated autoracks added into the game. I'm not too sure if they're around as much but during the 2010's the Auto-Max cars where pretty popular. It's insane how massive those train cars are. The first time I ever saw one, I was in awe at how large it was.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another train car that can be added (although much less common) are the roadrailer services. The most common carrier was NS and Conrail with Triple Crown. But there have been a few other carriers like CN and even Amtrak. Unfortunately, I think most of these services don't run anymore though. But for routes set from mid 90s to 2019, these could make for a good addition. (Also I think that NS is the only railroad who still uses roadrailers).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

US Canada version of a Deutsche Bahn OBB Hccrrs Articulated Autorack. The game needs a route where we load up these Automax autoracks and their European version Hccrrs.

9. Blacknred81

I still see some of the articulated auto racks every once in awhile, but not alot...

As far as the roadrailers are concerned, they still do run, but NS only has 2 trains left, 255 and 256, running between Kansas City and Detroit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blartthaniel42

Blartthaniel42 Well-Known Member

Wow! I thought that they were gone. I'll definitely have to get out there this summer and try to catch them. Luckily I only live about 45 minutes from the old Wabash line.

11. Blacknred81

Updated the list, added the Maxi IV and Bulkhead to the in-game list, can't confirm the BNSF Boxcar's size yet.

12. metro north railfan 224

metro north railfan 224 Active Member

Actually the tank car we have has a marking for UN 1170 which is ethanol

13. NSMotherSlug#881

NSMotherSlug#881 Active Member

Love the List as I would give it a green light for go but If Dovetail can't even make and Product the most Iconic Boxcar In American I have No respect for them as rail box.jpg

14. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with most of the freight cars you have listed. I think the spine cars are needed the most since they are on almost any intermodal train. Really hope we see these types of freight cars in the future. Also hoping for some more container and freight car brands.

15. Blacknred81

Yeah, would be nice if DTG could work out a deal with TTX, especially since their yellow cars are pretty much seen on most NA freight trains.
    istockphoto-458077061-170667a.jpg boxcars.jpg TTZX.jpg international_intermodal_15-100896548-orig.jpg

16. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

Keep wishing for what it's worth, maybe one day your wish comes true

DTG's main interest isn't the US market, just look at the poorly executed trains provided by DTM and HIS for TS Classic.
    If they can get away with that, what incentive is there to provide quality content for TSW3,4,5?
    I wouldn't mind quality US DLC by Searchlight, perhaps Reppo or Lord Mannu, but can do without DTM's crappy efforts.

In any case, freight cars are only an afterthought, since those locomotives have to pull something ....
    Apart from unit coal, grain, oil trains etc, there are hardly any trains composed of uniform cars, except in promotional photographs.

17. Blacknred81

Yeah its a bit of shame that the OSD freight car subbing is pretty much broken, would make most freight trains in TSW alot more interesting if they ever fix the dang thing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NSMotherSlug#881

I'm not a huge Fan honestly of DTGS as my nephew shown this game to me in early 2018 TSW beta Thought it was cool looking ahead of its time, so if you didn't know i worked 38 years REAL LIFE "Penn Central & Conrail" 18 years as Head Hump Master of Enola Yard Harrisburg PA for Conrail. TSW2 or 3 is a lighting game, Asking me if it's Realistic Honestly No Shape or Form is it Realistic what so ever. A lot of BS Dovetail shows in American Freight Service. Most Noted Dovetail never shows Yard Departure Brake "TESTS" as every mainline train in US needs to perform a Train Line Brake Test before leaving any Yard "FRA" rules. FRA - Federal Railroad Administration aka dovetail Acrade Style Sim

19. NSMotherSlug#881

20. NSMotherSlug#881

What you ask for doesn't make any sense as to Where and Way? Every American Railroad don't pull Special Loads is the first argument i have, As to Learn something before speaking French on American railroading because you apparel have No clue of what your talking about. Ah because your a Model Railroader or a Railfan you understand Railroading Nope walk away you have Known clue what you know. I'll ask One thing and One thing Only as a REAL LIFE Railroader will know Name one of their Major things a Yard Crew Worker has on them all the TIME? "Note to your self it's not something you can google search for only a true Life Railroader will know?

21. necrailfan#8191

necrailfan#8191 Member

Yeah we really need that feature to be added back in. I hate going into routes like Sherman hill and seeing an infinite line of industrial white grain cars

22. Blacknred81

If you actually read my actual proposal and NOT spout stupid stuff out of your mouth, you would of noticed Ive stated this with the special cars....

You apparently MISSED the bold part where I stated these cares would be appropriate IF ADDED TO THE CORRECT ROUTE and the FACT that they are ONLY USED ON CERTIAL AREAS or TRAINS.

Apparently all that time on the railroad and you never learned to read....