Low Fps

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by sinnere, Aug 24, 2022.

1. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

I'm getting very low fps in Train Simulator despite having an 11th gen i7 teamed with a 3070. My graphics card is set to run for TS so I'm not sure what the problem is.

[​IMG]

2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

This is strange. I'm running it on a vintage 2009 1st gen i7 Lynnfield 870 @2.93GHz and a GTX 1050 Ti, Windows 7. Same situation, but nice 44 FPS. Scenery Density and Detail maxed, Borderless Window mode. Dynamic Clouds off.

2022-08-24 12_11_32-Train Simulator (x64).png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2022
  3. Unless I set all the settings to max, tsc don't utilise my 3070's performance at all.

4. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

44 fps..I'm jealous. I should be doing 60+ easily

5. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Quite frustrating innit.

6. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

TS is a different beast when it comes to optimization and performance. It's in the same realms as flight simulation where powerful hardware doesn't always equal more FPS. TS is almost 9 years old at this point, we stopped seeing great leaps in FPS for TSC based on stronger GPUs years ago.

I'm guessing you're running SSAA for the anti-aliasing method is that correct? I'm guessing that based on the performance, there's a point where regardless of hardware running with 3x SSAA for example will bring TS to its knees.

TSC like it or not is the type of title where it's not uncommon to go down to 30fps or stay in that range for the entirety of the route depending on which one.

The engine and the way they handle the rendering pipeline just doesn't scale with hardware the way you'd expect it to.

If you're using SSAA above 2x then try to use MSAA and you should see a significant performance increase in some routes.

Still though even with hardware like yours 3070 or mine 2080, it's not going to be uncommon to see 30FPS and even lower performance metrics at times in train simulator.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022