Tsw: Diesel-electric Simulation Improvements

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, May 10, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

We recently announced that the team have been working hard on the Diesel-Electric Simulation and I know it's something our community have given us some great feedback on, so TrainSim-Steve took the opportunity to catch up with Matt Peddlesden, Senior Producer for Train Sim World, to get you some more information about exactly what this is all about.

READ MORE

• Like Like x 18
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I can’t wait to test these out. I have to wait the longest because I only have the American DLCs

• Like Like x 1
  3. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Sounds promising, can't wait to see the result on improving Diesel Locomotives when it comes out. And I can wait for the US Locos to be released with the same update as well. I was wondering what was going on under the hood of TSW and why there wasn't any Steam progress for this DLC at all.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

And don't forget to fix the brakes of the AC4400!!!

• Like Like x 5
  5. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Should be done alongside this Daniel ;)

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  6. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

Nice! :)

• Like Like x 4
  7. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Really nice!! I also like it how you guys started to show/tell us more accurate what you are working on currently. Hope you keep it up this way

• Like Like x 13
  8. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Agree with keksman, it really helps when you keep us in the loop. Really looking forward to the physics changes.

• Like Like x 8
  9. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see dynamic brakes as part of the picture. May take longer, but anything is better than these magic "dynamic brakes" we have now. It's more like "move lever, get force from nowhere" at the moment, hope the tweaks to it provide some realism.

• Like Like x 4
  10. metr0p0litain

metr0p0litain Active Member

Thank you very much for the update! I'm really excited about the upcoming features! Good job.

• Like Like x 2
  11. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Sounds good! I'm looking forward to playing with the enhanced 43. :)

Also, compliments for the amount of detail in this post. This is the kind of information which I love to see.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

Hi, it's great to hear about all the updates and what is involved in the teams work.

If you're wanting a bit of feedback regarding the very nice looking Class 47, I've made this side by side image that's roughly the same angle taken with the real thing. Some of the stuff you may be aware of, but no harm in saying again.

PhotoGrid_1525968968509.jpg

1. The horizontal handrail beneath the window shouldn't be straight and should replicate the curve of the windows.
    2. The wipers should both park towards the centre and operate outwards at the same time in a mirrored action, rather than perfectly mimicking each other.
    4. The hoses seem a little long but I understand if that's to allow coupling to various rolling stock items.

That's about it, cracking looking loco, can't wait for the new DLC and the forthcoming updates.

Thanks

Matt Wilson

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  13. 47551

47551 Member

Give me a rake of mk1s and let me hang out of the window!!

14. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to this. Finally some light at end of the tunnel on fixing this problem, oh wait, we already have too much light in the tunnel......

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  15. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

Looking forward to the fixes and driving the 09. What I saw of the WIP route on the livestream looked great. If I could personalize the cab space I would add a fly rod, tackle box, and some hip waders tucked in one corner...stop for tea and while the enthusiasts are having biscuits in the saloons I'd be fishin...

16. Ahmet Kağan Durmuşoğlu

Ahmet Kağan Durmuşoğlu New Member

Please also improve diesel exhaust simulation with this update. Realistic exhaust simulation with what you’re going to update, will perfect our driving experience. Initial diesel exhaust simulation is rough, weird and inconsistent. We really need realistic exhaust behavior all in colour of smoke, rate and speed of smoke dependent on engine load, rpm, engine type and engine condition, tendency of dispersion of smoke as a result of vessel speed and weather condition. We want to see a modern engine producing heat wave rather than visible smoke but when pushed hard to the limits or sudden load increases producing visible smoke; an older engine smoking heavier and more responsive to engine load increases.

• Like Like x 7
  17. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

It wasn't until quite some time after GWE's release that we saw the current exhaust fumes added.

I very much suspect that the reason the exhaust/smoke particle effects are so primitive on the diesels is the same reason we aren't seeing steam engines anytime in the immediate future for TSW. Particle effect systems are incredibly complex these days in modern engines due to the greater expectation of visual fidelity and interactivity. On top of that, bug fixes for complex particle systems can mean entire reworkings of the system.

I would hope that with the release of TWS's first steam train that it will include updates for all existing vehicles emission effects.

18. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

It's great to have this update on progress so far and planned timescale of improvements and I hope this increased communication from DTG continues. It would be nice to hear in future update article(s) what's happening with the Passenger Information System as well as 6 carriage 166s and ATP implementation in GWE.

• Like Like x 8
  19. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

SamYeager270 I hate to mention it - but on our discord with Matt (sorry people) we've spoke alot about the 6 car 166, it was a good insight. Basically what the issue amounts to is the fact that they would really require a 165, which obviously wouldnt be a great DLC - as the 166s are ingame and all numbered correctly there are 2 choices - less 166 services with 6 car 166s (to the disgust of purists) or someway to introduce a class 165. My suggestion of a duo pack; 165 + 387 went down like a lead balloon ;) but please feel free to join if you haven't already and im pretty sure the 165 conversation took place less than 24 hours ago.

Im not saying this is ideal obviously - even with daily chats with Matt I enjoy reading the articles and I agree, more the merrier and hope it continues :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. SamYeager270

Well that's interesting since the initial word back on the omission of these sets was that they had been "overlooked". From what you're saying it's beginning to sound as though their omission may have had more to do with DTG not wanting to add a 165 to GWE alongside the 166 which is a rather different narrative. In the big scheme of things it's not that big an issue although it would have given a bit more diversity to 166 sets.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Kuu Lightwing

Kuu Lightwing Active Member

Oh, how in the world did I miss this?! Good to hear. If the traction physics are fixed, I'm definitely going to buy the new DLC. Although it sounds that Class 66/Class 43 come only after WSR and CSX locomotives - even later on. The question is - how much later?

22. animalkosmik

animalkosmik Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  23. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
  24. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

How the DEV's progress in this matter ???

• Like Like x 1
  25. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Is 'SimuGraph' different/seperate to the standard Graph Editor in UE4?

26. SamYeager270

Perhaps this developer diary will help explain what it is and you can then tell us if it's the same.

27. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

It looks for all intents and purposes as though it is the standard UE4 Graph Editor, but DTG talk as though it's something separate they have created, which is why I ask.

I suspect SimuGraph is just a marketing name they are using for some of their code. They however make it sound as though SimuGraph is the Graph Editor, and is allowing them to organise everthing and output the numbers in real time to graphs, but that's just standard UE4.

28. Shawmut

Shawmut Member

Any word on progress towards the updates to the diesels in GWE and CSX Heavy Haul? I purchased the West Somerset route simply to try out what I had heard was improved diesel physics and was delighted with the results. Please upgrade the physics to the diesels in the above mentioned packages ASAP!

Many thanks,
    Shawmut

29. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The 66 and HST are completed but not released yet. They have started the GP38-2.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Shawmut

Shawmut Member

Good news indeed; thanks Anthony!

Shawmut

• Like Like x 1