Poor Ps4 Frame Rate - Any Solutions?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by royalscot#3684, Sep 13, 2022.

1. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

Other than buying a PS5?

I am finding some very poor frame rates on TSW3 to the point it is almost unplayable. Are there any solutions? Tweaking graphics etc?

It also looks very washed out and the shadows and draw distances are even worse than TSW2 if anything...

• Like Like x 4
  2. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I’m not sure if there’s a whole lot you can do since it is 9 year old technology at this point but some general tips for PlayStation performance:

1. Turn the console completely off once a week (not just standby/sleep mode all the time).

2. Rebuild the database every few months:
    https://ag.hyperxgaming.com/article...rebuild-your-ps4-database-regularly?amphtml=1
    As for washed out/appearance, it’s hard to tell without seeing your screen… but in my opinion the changes to TSW3 are more realistic. TSW2 had darker/richer colours which looked good but not like real life. TSW3 has brighter colours that sometimes look more washed out but IMO more like real life.

3. Make sure it’s sitting in an area with at least 8 inches of space around it on all sides for proper cooling.

But if you want adjustments, there aren’t any in the game. Look into your TV settings and try adjusting your Gamma. Also go into your PS4 settings and make sure all the display/HDR settings are correct. I’m on PS5 now and I don’t remember what PS4s had for options.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Ps5 not much better so your not missing anything I've left a ton of comments everywhere on this topic. The game is just poorly optimized and feels more like a beta version.

• Like Like x 3
  4. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

I'd also recommend that if you have Add-ons installed you don't use, to try uninstalling them and play again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dudders

What a great reply not

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

JD unlike PS5 you can't uninstall them separately on PS4, so unless you're willing to delete everything and start again without said routes being installed, it sadly doesn't help.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. royalscot#3684

Yes just checked and it's impossible to uninstall individual routes.

8. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

My apologies, end of a long day.

Other options:
    • if you have custom liveries, remove them
    • Changing the resolution on your device
    • Have also seen players say that changing the clouds settings to 'High', rather than 'Ultra' had an impact

9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are no graphics settings on PS4.

• Like Like x 2
  10. royalscot#3684

Yes I've just checked too and I can't see any way of detuning graphics. The only thing you can change is HUD and markers.

11. royalscot#3684

The only thing that makes a difference on PS4 for me is running a custom scenario with little AI. Maybe there is an argument for PS4 specific optional timetables with just a few AI trains?

There is still fun to be had in custom scenario mode. A shunter on the German high speed route takes about 4 hours to complete the journey!

12. dudders

JD Obviously doesn't realise he's in a ps4 chat where there are no settings to play with apart from the resolution that does nothing

• Like Like x 1
  13. I don't know if it's the same for ps but on the pc you have to run the routes a couple of times to do some shader catch thing before the routes become a lot smoother. I started each route on foot, plonked myself in the cab of a ai train and left the pc running whilst I did something else.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

When grandad says he knows how to fix bad frame rates he uses a hammer

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

Turn your ps4 off fully. Then hold the power button on the ps4 until the 2nd beep. You'll get to the safe mode screen. Pick 'rebuild database' and let it do its thing. Not saying it would definitely work, but it may help a bit

• Like Like x 1
  16. darylb88

darylb88 Member

Trade your PS4 in and invest in a Series S (when possible) - you'll pay around £150 and you'll see a big uplift performance on Series S plus it's on gamepass for £11 a month. To make the deal even sweeter you can also play flight sim on gamepass and that also performs great.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Yes, then all they have to do is repurchase all their DLC that they own on Playstation for the Xbox. And that will not be cheap, or would take an age, as Xbox don't have many sales.

• Like Like x 4
  18. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

I play on the PS4 aswell and I experience same FPS problems. Of course, we should be aware that our hardware is pretty much outdated, it's no secret. But DTG has decided to bring this yet again to the Gen8's (which I'm really thankful of) so we can expect at least a mostly enjoyable and sort of stable gameplay. As we paid the same price as everyone else, it's just fair to ask from our side.

If noticed some certain problems regarding to FPS issues and maybe it'll help you a bit.

-you can try and rebuild your database on your PS4 but don't expect a performance revolution. I've rebuild mine after installing TSW3 / deinstalling TSW2 but it hasn't changed a hole lot.

- Try to get rid of livery's from creators club (im not happy about this at all) but it helps. On some trains more than on others. BR Class 395 seems to be really bad in this regard.

- the routes will run a bit smoother after you drove them for the first time.

- try to play with cloudy weather (less shadows!) Which seems to be a big performance gain from my perspective

- dynamic weather seems to hit performance as well

- If you have Add ons that you won't play, keep them of your game

I really hope those things are temporarily as DTG should have a look where they can improve the performance of the Gen8's at least a bit. I think there isn't one big solution, but many little ones that combined will help improving the experience. Again, we paid the same price, well aware of our hardware but we can expect DTG to push this forward as I'm pretty sure it'll help ALL PLAYERS in the long term. Hope I could help you out a bit. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. barryr21

barryr21 Active Member

As a PS4 user I have been umming and arring over buying TSW3. The Frame Rates mentioned on this thread don't really fill me with confidence. Is the performance that bad? Better/worse than TSW2??

20. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

From what I have experienced it is no worse than TSW2 and in some instances I though tit was smoother. However I have noticed a slowdown since installing all of my addons, I have pretty much everything. I just hope the content manager also helps on PS4 with stuff as I know that this was mentioned some time ago. The menus are really laggy now with all content installed.

Edit: Still pleased we actually have this on Gen8 so I am not complaining.

• Like Like x 2
  21. florians#7620

florians#7620 Well-Known Member

The only issues I have been having on my Gen 8 console is in Würzburg when it is really busy with AI trains since installing all the addons. Frames drop there a bit more than on the TSW2 routes, but all in all I am still very happy with the overall performance considering the hardware.

• Like Like x 2