How Do You Play Tsw

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jamy, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

For me, I must have some sort of OCD as I have to do the timetable in chronicle order starting with the earliest service (I'm up to 6:30am on SEHS in TSW3)
    So how do you play
    Scenarios only
    Journey mode
    pick a random service in timetable (shudder the thought)

• Like Like x 1
  2. rpeterbroughlowe

rpeterbroughlowe Active Member

timetable, it's the best innovation that DTG have done.

They just need to build on it to incorporate random evens and more intelligent dispatcher.

Scenarios are so 2001 ;)

• Like Like x 10
  3. I once took leave of my senses and done the day shift on bml but normally just random services here and there.

• Like Like x 3
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Timetable & Journey. I dont like play scenarios. Sequences of services with back to free roam and wait to continue are the best. This feels so much realistic overall when all this is on the move for some purpose (real timetables involved).
    In point!
    BR o7

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Nearly always just choose a Loco and then just pick a random service.

6. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

For TSW, I play 80% timetable mode and around 20% scenario planner.

Regarding timetable, weather-wise, I pick that to match with what the weather is like in real-life outside - I also tend to play mostly in the same month we're currently in, so for now September. Then, when choosing the service itself, there's a number of factors at play. If I'm playing in the day, then it's only daytime services I play and, at night, I only play night services.

Moreover, while I don't have any particular order, I try to vary the services completed; on SEHS for example, I might play a couple of Class 395 ones, before moving onto the 465 or 375 - same principle applies here too. Another example, on London Commuter, I'd play a few London-Brighton services, then might do a few services to Haywards Heath or Reigate - basically so when completing the timetable (currently have finished 420 services on London Commuter), it means there's an even amount of different services done - otherwise, if you complete everyone of the same service type, it might get boring.

Finally, there's only one other major factor in how I play TSW. I always start from the station I ended last time - so if I started at Victoria and finished at say Reigate, or East Croydon etc for example, the next time I play TSW, I'd start from Reigate or East Croydon.

I play scenario planner exclusively on older routes with more quieter timetables - for example, I've actually only completed less than ten services on GWE, but have played many hours via scenario planner because I find it more interesting and enjoy the route itself - same applies for NTP and TVL.

I've never done journey mode. Also, I don't ever bother with route scenarios anymore as I've found them to be underwhelming and the fact there's no variety next time you replay them.

• Like Like x 7
  7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I only play scenarios and timetable. I don't have too much time on my hands, so I do the shortest scenarios first and then do short timetable services. I used to do journey mode but not anymore. It's easier to just go to timetable with the new ui and stuff

8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

What does everyone have against scenarios? I always start by playing most or all of them, before moving on to the services.

It might be a time thing. I think most players seem to have about a hundred hours for every hour I can devote to the game.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  9. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Maybe cuz they're not fun and a waste of time. I love scenarios but some people will hate it.

10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You are just old, but not old enough to evolve :)
    Not as old like some mountains hehe

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I've got nothing against scenarios. I play them all. Probably better than service mode the first time round.

• Like Like x 1
  12. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

When I stream TSW I Sometimes have the viewers vote what route (out of a choice of 4 to drive) via a Poll on You Tube, then I just randomly choose a service. Only have 14 of the routes installed due to the PS5 dlc limit.

Also I do a Scenario Saturday livestream (like tonight) where I randomly pull 6 (currently 14) routes out of my Bag of routes that I have installed and I do a scenario on that route that's not been done, if all the scenarios have been done then I do the scenarios via Journey mode. If all the scenarios in journey mode are done then I do the first Journey that's not been done.

I also do a Journey only stream (a little bit like Scenario Saturday, where I choose the route randomly, Vote the route or my mum will randomly pull 6 routes out of the bag).

But I can also incorporate Viewers Vote the route live into Scenario Saturday). So Viewers vote for the next route But I have to do a scenario on that route instead of a journey or timetable service).

I also do a timetable from the start mode. If i'm just playing and not streaming. I have only been doing this for a few weeks.
    Weather is sometime set to real life or I leave it on dynamic. Real date is selected though.
    So yeah just a couple of ways how I play TSW 3.

Cheers

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I'm the same, I change the date and the weather to match "real life"

• Like Like x 3
  14. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Journey first, usually, which covers off all the scenarios too, then fill in the gaps in the timetable. Tend to pick them based on how long I want to drive for (which is why it's annoying that info doesn't show in Journey mode, even though it's available in Timetable).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Odd1ne

Odd1ne Active Member

I usually use time table mode, I never have to much time to play so look how long each one will take before driving.

16. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I like to try and complete the journey mode but as it disconnects from service mode i can't be arsed to play a load again. I do like the service mode but I've not really dug into it on service mode too much

17. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Exactly the same as you, starting the timetable in the morning and then completing chronologically one service after another until the last service at night, sometimes varied with some scenario. And then starting from the (imaginary) next morning again. It's quite silly but this gives me the feel of being an driver, working on it's shift ;)

Weather I usually set up to much the real life's outside my window, unless it's two weeks of the same then I'm set it up to my joy.

Journeys I almost don't do at all.

18. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Fully agree with that and exactly the evolution I'm waiting and hoping for :)

19. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Most of the time I drive in timetable mode.
    However, depending on the month and usually also at real time. I often adjust the weather accordingly. So I would never drive in the snow in summer. I just don't like that ;-)

For this reason, I unfortunately hardly use the journey mode, which I think is a very good idea. But on a summer's day I would have to drive in the snow or rain at night and I don't like that. But it is ideal for late hours, this is where I like to catch up on those trips. Now I also understand why these services are evaluated separately, because the conditions are also specified.

Scenarios are like an interactive story. I like this very much but I have to be in the mood for it. Is similar to- am I watching a series or a movie?

I also like to use scenarios from the Creators Club, for a change. I only create some for test purposes or just for fun. Because on the Playsi, using the controller is simply too fiddly and offers too few options. That's too bad.

I also like to spawn or back2free-roam to just let TSW work on me. Now, with the dynamic weather, it's even more immersive. Just being a passenger or taking over a train somewhere is a great thing.

Basically, I use all possible modes, but as the mood takes me.

20. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I try and complete journey mode first, but I usually find myself losing the will with it. It's one of the problems of being a completionist! Said it plenty of times before and I'll say it again now, items on the journey menu should be ticked off as complete when completed from the scenario/service menus.

My favourite way to play is in service mode, pick an early service, complete it and then "return to free roam" and continue the next service in the sequence, rinse and repeat until there are none left in that sequence. I'll try and pick up the timetable sequence where I left off between sessions.

I usually only play scenarios once; will sometimes revisit ones I especially enjoy.

I try and go for collectibles while driving services. I can usually find most of them just by playing but once I get to about 90/100, I may pull up a guide from Steam and get the stragglers. I think placement of collectibles needs to be worked on, running 10 minutes up a straight bit of track to touch a fence isn't enjoyable. They should only be placed where it makes sense from a gameplay perspective. Say a scenario has you stop at a signal for a few minutes, put one near the signal. They should also all be perfectly visible from the driver's seat.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Timetable only for me. No particular plan, just whatever i feel like playing.

22. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I always pick timetables. I don’t think I’ve even touched a scenario since the first time I played TSW2. I love timetable and how alive things are with other services running around.

I also care almost 0% about collectibles, AP, gold medals, trophies, achievements or any of that crap. The only measures I pay attention to are keeping on time for schedules and I also like to see the mileages travelled on each route.

• Like Like x 4
  23. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

In general, I prefer timetable (services) mode because that's where most switching jobs are located; however, at least with Cajon Pass, DTG has placed some switching in scenarios as well (and, I'll just toss in here, increased the amount of AI traffic in switching tasks, sometimes actually interfering with the switching itself, which makes completing the job much more interesting than just watching other trains pass by on other tracks.

24. Loco Dave

Loco Dave Member

Starting with TSW2/PS4 last year, I was happily working through the Journey modes, incorporating scenarios.
    But a PS5 turned up and progress was lost.
    Now TSW3 is here I've gotten more into timetable, so I now use all modes. Usually start with a route/train and see what's available.

p.s. oops...pc forum.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  25. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Active Member

All of the above.

What I like about scenarios is that they often show you the steps to set-up the loco, so if I haven't picked it up from the training modules, it helps to get the process memorised before I take on Timetable Mode.

As for Timetable Mode, I usually pick a service that looks interesting, or I use the spreadsheet from the 'Awesome Tsw Service Mode Runs' thread for inspiration. While with BML, there are so many interesting services, I find myself picking one closest to the time I'm playing. With BKL, thanks to Joethefish very helpfully adding crew numbers to the new timetable, I'm enjoying working through a single crew roster for the day.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Personally I feel the scenarios hold your hand too much, particularly I don't like how they tell you to start up the loco. We have tutorials after all, and the game (at least in the first two titles) often boots you into them the moment you start, so I don't get why scenarios always treat you like a baby each time. In addition I find it's these elements that tend to break more often than not. Add on top of this that many of them tend to play out almost the same as regular services push me away from playing them. I'd much rather play a mode which isn't treating me like a baby each time I boot into it, and is less likely to break due to having a bit less scripting.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  27. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I would like to be able to play scenario designer but that's not possible because DTG insist on only letting players play in June.

No autumn and no winter allowed.
    Terrible strange decision

28. 5cip

5cip Active Member

really ? thats weird why that lol ?

29. Railmaster

I used to see it that way too. In journey mode, however, the weather and the time are preset, which means that certain conditions also change. So it does make a difference whether you make a service from the timetable mode or the same from the Jorneymode. For this reason, the degree is also evaluated separately. So that makes sense.

30. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

Oh you would hate me, I play how I feel like, most of the Time in the Timetable but also from time to time a Scenario or Journey and all of that in no recognizable Order.

31. Lokomotiv

Lokomotiv Active Member

I do scenarios first because they're usually not that many and they give me a somewhat varied challenge before the timetable grind begins. Then in timetables I usually cherry pick the runs I feel like doing based on number of stops and time of day. But it does make sense to begin with the first run of the day and do them chronologically. I wonder if anyone has ever driven a full day, and what consequences that led to mentally :D

Other than that, I like driving locos that keep me busy. Shunting is great fun too.

32. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I'll complete journey mode first then timetable services as they jump out at me

33. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'm playing timetable mode almost exclusively, picking whatever service I'm currently in the mood for. That means I'm usually intentionally skipping any services that are depot runs, shunting, loco turnarounds, downhill US freight, or Caltrain all-stops services.

I'm ignoring journey mode. I may occasionally play a scenario, but I hate having to switch on objective markers just to know which button the game wants me to press or to figure out where I need to walk to.

Haven't tried the new quick drive thingy yet. I might give it a try, but I fear I may forever leave the feature alone if it comes up with a scenario or anything mentioned above.

I guess I'm one of those players who just likes simple A to B runs.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Asyedan

Asyedan Member

I mostly play on timetable mode, i just jump into a random service in whatever route i want to play.

Sometimes i just jump in free mode without a train and spend time as a passenger. One day i spent almost 3 hours trying to do a run from London to Brighton stopping in as many stations as possible (it is not possible to stop in all of them thanks to the 3 unused stations and the part between Gatwick and Brighton being a mess of some trains stop at station A but not B, some other stop at B but not A and so on).

And in some very rare occasion, i jump into a scenario, or i use the scenario planner for some surrealistic service, like for example driving a M7A in SoS.

35. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I don't know, ask DTG what they were thinking...

36. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

You could try that

Go to the Timetable Mode, choose any Service and change the Weather the way you want. Then go back to the Main menu and then to the Scenario Planner and Start your Scenario. The Weather should be the way you set it up.

This way it was possible to change the weather in TSW2, hopefully this will still work in TSW3.

37. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Man, I pick whatever I think I might be able to finish before my wife starts asking for a sitrep on the old "honey do" list.
    I've already done all the 0:02 minute services on SPG, maybe dtg can patch in a few more of those next update :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  38. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Journey first (for completion sakes, and because it will cover all the scenarios which I tend to like for their uniqueness), then timetable on the more interesting services such as depot runs or multi-part ones that can be strung together (such as the 166 services on BML from Reigate to Redhill to Gatwick and back).

I like variety, so once I've done one or two plain-Jane A-B runs on a route I don't do many more as they all feel the same (even taking in to account weather or time-of-day differences). Scenarios at least tend to have either a twist or some kind of purpose to them which makes them a bit more interesting. For the same reason I tend to like routes which have either branches or multiple rolling stock options, so I can mix and match without any of them starting to feel stale.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  39. Der Uni

Der Uni Well-Known Member

I playing Timetable Mode. Sometimes, when i see a AI Train in the opposite Direction i choose that Train for my next Driving Session. So i can see my previous Service as AI-Train in the opposite Direction and did a "HORRNN"-Wink. :D

40. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

I prefer timetable. I also like to get mastery out of the way first.

41. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I said season/month not weather.
    You can't change the season or month, it's always June so no autumn or snow possible

42. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I usually boot it up, take a while to pick which route I fancy driving, set up it and begin only to turn it off after about 10 minutes. I'm just not feeling "it" at the moment. I just need a dlc which will wow me, until then, I'm struggling to enjoy TSW 3.

• Like Like x 1
  43. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

Scenarios and journey mode first, all services that remain are timetable mode.

44. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

You can, go to the route selection menu, change the weather and the month to what you want, then just play the scenario you created, though I'm not sure if this still works in TSW3.

45. Railmaster

I think the option of fast or long game will be quite interesting for me.

The more DLC you have, the less you have an overview of the possible duration and whether it's a short or long run - often I can hardly decide.

This option is certainly only interesting with the increasing number of DLC and so I am now very excited to see what the random number generator chooses for me. Also and precisely because my skills are in demand here, it should be a train or a route that I haven't ridden for a long time. So an additional challenge.

It is just as unpredictable as a longer run. Could be HSC or ARL. What a difference! If I didn't somehow like all the routes and trains, I wouldn't have bought them. But I don't have any particular plan and I like that kind of coincidence. Now that this option is available, I didn't want to miss it anymore! A great innovation!

However, I am definitely of the opinion that this option should only rely on the services of the timetable mode!

And there's something else. I think it's good that you're not forced to drive with activated safety systems. You can get along like that. I still fear the German systems PZB & LZB in particular (I'm german...). But when you use them, it's a whole different experience.

Furthermore, there is also the possibility of driving more or less HUD-less. On the other hand, I'm still on the road here as a model railroader...

In addition, you can now send your trains onto the tracks in the new training center. I summarize:

scenarios
    journeys
    time table
    Quick Run short
    Quick run long
    with/without security systems
    with/without HUD
    own/CC scenarios
    training center
    free Roam/as Passenger and more

That's ten! different ways to play and experience TSW. The whole thing now also with dynamic weather and thus changed physics.

The whole thing is a train simulator. And it's a game. And this thing gives me a whole ten possibilities. What could I want more?

46. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For me timetable and Journey Mode. Some Journey mode trips are timetable Mode. Therefore you can take ovwr those services

47. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

May have played three, or four scenarios over the last three years.
    Obviously I have a grasshopper mind.

I just play whatever scenery I'd like to see and choose the loco afterwards.
    (Alignment: chaotic good.)

48. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

(TSW2) Almost exclusively journey mode across all routes and locos, unless there's a particular service on a particular route I want to look at after reading about it on here. I've only finished GWR journey but I'm a fair chunk into TVL. The 101 is particularly amusing to drive

I don't focus on one route for journey though, I have variable progress in all journeys on all my routes and locos, which is everything bar the most recent stuff (last ~9 months)

49. sedevan

sedevan Member

I just simply play random services on my favourite routes. Use a number generator on my phone to determine service and conditions. Enjoy the element of surprise about it.

• Like Like x 2