Cajon Pass Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by richardwwoodward, Sep 3, 2022.

1. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I know in TSW2 you had to put banking comms on before the reverser was set to forwards for the other engines to kick in…

I don’t know if this is still the case in TSW3 and if it is I know it’s not mentioned in the tutorial. I haven’t tried that particular service yet (I tend to play through Journey mode first) but it could be worth a try…

2. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Banking Comms needs to be the absolute first thing you do otherwise not only are your rear locos not helping you, they are dragging you back down.

You can check if the rear locos are helping by using the rear camera 3 and peering thru the can window, you should see the reverser in, throttle at the correct notch which you've set etc etc

• Like Like x 2
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

According to Matt, aren’t banking comms etc all on by default now when you take over a service?

4. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I think the banking comm itself isn't, but everything is set up so that it's only one button push from working.

5. andym#4616

andym#4616 New Member

Hello all, here are my findins for this scenario... Playing on PS5

ES44C4 Training module

For the GOLD medal is needed to get 1700 AP, on first try I got 1370 even I made everything correctly. On second try I got 1630 AP :) But in menu is still visible as highest score 1370 AP :(

Rail Journes - Ups and Downs - G-SDGABQ5-04 - Grain train from San Diego to Albuquerque

Train consists of 96 "parts". 4 locos - 44 cabs - 2 locos - 44 cabs - 2 locos

1) Almost in the end of journey there was long right hand turn. I took external view and watched train from first loco. Behind 4 first locos I saw 44 cabs, 2 "middle" locos and behind them only 4 cabs. No more cabs were visibile. In case case you will move camera "deeper" all is OK and train is "full". But from begining of train view is cutted.

2) Looks like game is not counting AP correctly. I play game in metric, so I get 30 AP every 500m. There are no extra point on the start, only 500 AP during final stop. My top score is 4040 AP (OK).

If I am counting correctly, 4040 - 500 is 3540 AP during track. Dived 30 I traveled 118 x 500m. And this is 59 km.... But at the end of scenario travel distance was little above 47 km.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

There are no rear locos on that train. Switching comms on is just a habit thing - but whether it's on or off I still cannot get up that hill despite all my best efforts. I've even tried reversing onto two spare locos (which does work) but in doing so I get stuck behind an 'access denied, you seem to be off track' red signal.
    I can get the required speed in order to climb the hill but when those amps drop off the train loses power for a few seconds each time...and that is enough to ensure I'm not going to make it. At 15mph it's effectively game over because I'm having to drop down notches to avoid the amp bar redlining and causing wheel slip.

Thanks for the info though, It's something I'll definitely make note of.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  7. redrev1917

I'll give it a go tonight in the dry when I get home from work and see if I can make it and let you know.

8. Sanding doesn't seem to make any difference either.

9. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

Oh, hang on a minute, the ES44 timetable has completely changed with the update and similar services now seem to have more lead locos (the one in question only had 2 but now they seem to have 3) so that's going to make a huge difference. I'll try again myself tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  10. matthew90

matthew90 New Member

On Z--ELPSDG6-04 on journey mode intermodal El Paso to San Diego before I can reach the final check point the screen says I have gone out of bounds and cancels my service. With no safe function it means I lost a whole 2 hours.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

On the stream Matt said the train formations were kept to more or less minimum acceptable power so as to present a challenge for the player. If that means thrashing up the hill at 20 mph in notch 8, is that realistic? Seems rather hard on the locomotives and surely not fuel efficient.

12. I don't mind the 20mph crawl but when it says the service will take 1 hour 40 minutes, and 2 hours into the drive I've not even covered half the route, and no save option either! Something isn't right.

• Like Like x 1
  13. redrev1917

I think it needs to be made clearer when you have 2 SD40's services combined so that you know you need to have banking comms on, as always I checked the end of the train and no loco so didnt enable banking comms it was only when I couldnt get up the incline that I double checked and realised I had a couple of dead locos half way along the train which Id been unsuccessfully trying to drag up to Summit!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I mean, here's 2 videos of Cajon from 2022, you tell me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

There seem to be a few physics issues with the GEVO's.
    I was running the third Journey mode trip, lightweight intermodal from Barstow to Victorville.
    When the compressor kicked in the whole loco lurched as if it had lost power momentarily and the rest of the train ran in behind it.
    Then on a slight gradient change from 0.1% down to 0.4% down, under power, I had wheelslip for about five seconds before the train stabilised again.
    Don't think that is meant to be happening.

16. Loco Dave

Loco Dave Member

The game kicked me out just as I entered San Bernadino yard after over an hour of up and down hill fun.
    These occasional crashes are annoying.

17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I wonder if those moments of wheelship (I've had them too) occur as the center axles unweight

• Like Like x 1
  18. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Really enjoying Cajon Pass. I don’t usually like US outline but this really feels like a proper journey over the hills. The new sky is stunning in the morning and evening and the weather helps sell the illusion of changing altitudes.

The only thing I have found to be an issue is walking along the sides of the locomotives but this has been brought up already.

Going downhill is tricky as you can’t seem to blend dynamic and air brakes. (Edit- you can)

I would very much enjoy a passenger path in the scenario planner. I know it isn’t realistic but a path that stops at all the station platforms along the route so we can take our passenger trains for a spin would be great.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

You can use blended braking, you just have to bail off the independent brake once you set your train brake where you want it. Then the dynamics will kick back in.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Same thing just happened to me. The stop point is way down in the south part of San Benardino yard, apparently beyond where the player is supposed to be able to drive.

On a side note, are the new snow effects a real performance hog? The journey version of Z-ELPSDG6-04 is done in snow and I had real crummy performance throughout. In TSW2 I had everything maxed and would run in the 60s, 70s, 80s fps on the main lines and maybe sometimes into 50 and 40s in some yards. So far with Cajon (everything maxed but sky which is back to High) I seem to usually do 60s and 70s on most of the main line, down to 40s and 50s in yards. With this service I was getting 40s and 50s most times and when I'd pass another train it would knock me down into the low 30s, low 30s and a tick into the 20s in San Bernardino yard too. I was surprised how demanding it seemed to be.

DW

• Like Like x 2
  21. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Nice one- thank you

• Like Like x 1
  22. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I believe it was suggested that the smoke particles that did not impact SOS would be the new way of delivering diesel smoke after the SOS release. I do not believe this is the case at all as you can still see a drop (no different to pre SOS) when panning around the trains. Can anyone else confirm my suspicion this is another thing promised yet not delivered?

23. ollyweston350

ollyweston350 Active Member

Holy moly I came across the dreaded "fog" weather this evening on Cajon pass... First time I've been disappointed with TSW3. Literally a foot away from the locomotive and all I had was a black screen, with no light being able to pass through. Was unable to see anything until the fog effect cleared instantly as I arrived at the depot. Nearly 45 minutes in complete darkness

• Like Like x 1
  24. darrentee01

darrentee01 Member

Could the Union Pacific loco sub in on this route?? As they are seen on here in real life

25. summersy

summersy Active Member

Anybody else think the trains on cajon pass are quite short?

26. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

They sub in on the Palmdale Cutoff but nowhere else, no clue why DTG didn't add them to the whole route

• Like Like x 1
  27. danielemerson78

danielemerson78 Member

I'm in exactly the same boat..train slows down to 9mph and then comes to a hault and starts going backwards..have sanders on and everything...what's going on

28. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

There are UP trains on the Cajon Pass but they are AI only

29. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Which DLC is required for the UP layer, Sherman Hill?

30. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yes

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. Michael Newbury

Yes

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. redrev1917

As a work around go I to your settings set the Effects quality to "off" then apply then back to your original setting then apply again. And bang the fog has gone. You may need to do it a 2nd time later on in the run if it comes back on a longer trip

33. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by short? If you're on a last gen console so ps4, xbox 1, you only get a maximum of 50 freight cars. On pc and next gen consoles it is 100 max. Some runs will have shorter train lengths depending on what you are carrying and stuff.

34. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, slap me with a wet fish!!

I just finished the shunting scenario, " Barstow Away " and lo and behold the headlights on the SD40-2 are marvelous, lit up the whole yard like they're supposed to.

I take back the snarky things I've said about the headlights on Cajon Pass, at least as far as the Dash 2 is concerned. I'll reserve judgement on the Gevo until I do a night run. But it was a very pleasant surprise. Why this feature is missing on other US routes is still a mystery.

( For once I was able to do a 90 minute session without the save function, a rare occurrence. )

35. richardwwoodward

richardwwoodward Active Member

I had the same - what a disappointment. Total blackness for ages, driving totally blind

36. richardwwoodward

richardwwoodward Active Member

Yes, that was infuriating! I had done a great run and was coasting gently to stop and suddenly failed because I had "driven out of the playable area"

• Like Like x 2
  37. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

[​IMG]

I was trying to wrap my head around this grammar but a google image search seems to indicate this stencil should read "CAR NOT TO BE LOADED ABOVE BULKHEAD".

DW

• Like Like x 1
  38. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

On playstation, the trophy doesn't pop for completing all Cajon Pass training

39. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm just going to add that I very much appreciate that from time to time in switching sessions I have to wait while a higher priority train crosses through my intended path to the next destination. On the other hand, I would appreciate the length of these services if saving were possible. Please make this a v-e-r-y high priority, DTG -- PLEASE!!!

40. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Did you turn on whatchamacallit control located on the radio? (My 78-year-old brain apologizes for its occasional memory gaps.) In some activities, you're prompted to do this, in others, not.

41. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The gevo lights are quite good too as long as you don't have any fog (lights don't even work). I've seen night run videos and it's quite good. The headlights are probably brighter because of using actual lumen values and the overhauled lighting system which the older tsws don't have

42. redrev1917

What we need is time suppression which can be activated when at a red signal/long station hold and immediately disabled once you apply throttle. That and a save function ofcourse.

43. argh.bailey

argh.bailey Active Member

I'm now 3-4 activities into the journey mode and have to say first impressions are positive.

Journey
    It actually feels like there has been some thought given to how the experience progresses (so far) and the learning curve is good, handle a train, now go up hill, now go down etc. That coupled with actually useful tutorials was a big win for someone who has generally struggled with US freight previously. The comparison with the progression against the sand patch grade journey is staggering. SPG actually had me range quit... one chapter just yard work, ok fine. 2nd chapter SD-40 great here we go, one trip light engine and surprise! Just more yard work. :-( Any time you can start a new journey activity you have to be able to see the length (time). This info is available elsewhere in the UI but I'd really need to see before clicking continue and gambling between 20 mins of 2 hours. Only way currently is to remember the activity number, go into timetable, find the activity & see how long it will take and then go back into the journey.

Sound
    Nothing in reality to compare with but generally sounds believable. Stutters quite a bit particularly noticeable with the horn. Was very surprised to hear wind rushing noises exactly like the Brighton mainline Electrostar when rolling around the yard at 10mph, quite jarring.

Weather
    During my first descent, the fog started rolling in, subtle at first, I almost didn't notice. Kept thinking "I'm sure I could see better before" to actually becoming a challenge holding my nerve resisting the temptation to over use the automatic brake. Then it carried on, couldn't see anything until I had perfect visibility about about 3 feet and then nothing. Looked ridiculous and killed any immersion.

Loco
    Looks fantastic but quite disappointed with the bargain basement features. You give me a big green button labelled 'horn sequence' and it does nothing? Literally unplayable :cool:. Hardly anything on the MFDs seems to work. Dimmer & train length counter are a must. They aren't frivolous functionality for the sake of it, they are am important part of operations. Why make the dimmer percentage change but not the actual screens brightness? MFD has an airflow meter but again, not functional. Not the end of the world as we have the end of train brake pipe pressure which is nice but it seems to give whacky readings. 20 mins after release still reading 82 with the train blasting up a 2% grade. Next thing recovers almost instantly from an almost full application instantly? The warning lights on the MFD also either don't work or make no sense. I managed to get my controls out of sync somehow, loco was notch 3 and HUG was saying notch 2.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The horn sequence does work.

45. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

This should be fixed in the next update.

46. Michael Newbury

It kind of works it's hit and miss when it wants to work correctly.

47. Whitsim

Whitsim Member

Horn sequencer works…
    Need to be over 25MPH as it is in real life. Press the sequencer and it plays long-long-short-long on a loop. Then activate “regular” horn to stop.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
  48. argh.bailey

argh.bailey Active Member

That must be it, I think I was trying it crawling up the 2% at 20mph

49. redrev1917

is there a short cut key for this?

NVM found it its Cntl Spacebar

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  50. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I tried Z-ELPSDG6-04 in timetable mode (by accident, didn't realize I happened to pick THAT one from the list, doh!) and this is where the stop marker is in the southern part of San Bernardino yard :

[​IMG]

As you round that final curve and have the stop marker in sight the screen fades into this message :

[​IMG]

Hope there aren't more services like this, Victorville to San Bernardino is a long drive to get skunked in the last 1000 feet or so.

DW